Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dad diagnosed with diabetes

Options
  • 06-06-2006 6:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping ye can help me out. My dad was diagnoised with low to moderate diabetes today. It is type 2 diabetes. This has upset and scared me. The problem is that I feel completely helpless as I know nothing about diabetes.

I'm currently looking at the http://www.diabetesireland.ie website to try and help me to understand.

Has anyone been in this situation before?
    Can someone who has diabetes or a member of their family has diabetes please give me some advise?

Thanks,
    A.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Angels

I was diagnosed with diabetes in Nov '05, at the age of 23 i never taught id ever get it cause my Dad has it aswell. I just used to see him test his blood 3 times a day & that was it thats all i new about it. But now i've been educating myself on it for the last 7 months. Your dad will have to change his life style & eating habbits, check his sugar levels, if he's not done so already. diabetesireland.ie is a great website to help you understand.

It's a shock at the start to hear about someone you love having Diabetes but if you talk with your Dad he will help you understand about the condition too as he learns about it you can learn about it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭babaduck

My mum was diagnosed with Type 2 about 3 years ago. We were all freaked out at the time, but it's fairly straightforward. Modified diet, regular blood sugar checks, exercise & special attention to the eyes, feet & circulation as diabetics have more probs than those without diabetes.

In the long run, your dad will be eating a far healthier diet which can onyl help. It will make him far more aware of his health in general and that can only be a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Diabetes isn't as big a deal as it used to be. Type 2 diabetes especially can easily be controlled, provided that the person understands the disorder and is willing to make the necessary changes.

It's becoming more common now as a result of our sugar-rich diets and reduction in exercise.

My own Dad was diagnosed a few years back. It's not something which particularly worried us - his own mum had Type 1 (insulin-dependent) diabetes for most of her life, and injected insulin every day. She lived to the ripe old age of 82, and the diabetes didn't have any impact on her ability to live day-to-day.

If you're living in the house, take this as an opportunity to improve your own lifestyle, as he has to cut out the bad foods. If you're not living with him, there's not much for you to do except to remember not to bring home a toblerone from your holliers :)

As disorders go, type 2 diabetes isn't intrusive or disruptive. Someone with IBS would suffer more disruption to their life.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

I have type 1 diabetes (insulin dependant) over 21 years, I know that there are a lot of differences from type 2 (especially with treatment and diet) but I find that it is something that I live with, it is an extra routine in my life but it is almost second nature to me. The blood tests can take as little as 5 seconds and I have done them waiting at a bus stop at times, they are no big deal. There are far worse things to have. I do know that my father took it very badly when I was first diagnosed and he still finds it hard when I have low blood sugars but I just treat them as a matter of course now and try and reasure him that I am OK. I feel that it is nearly a facet of my personality, it does not define me but it is part of me. I also know that it is hard when a parent or other loved one is diagnosed with an illness and you do need time to adjust to this. Best wishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Seamus is right. Diabete's isn't as big a deal as it used to be. My mother was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about 7 years ago. She was diagnosed with Pick's disease shortly afterwards and i was her carer up until last sept. The diabete's doesn't make much of a difference to her tbh. She can't have sugar and has little snacks every couple of hours to keep her sugar levels normal.

It basically means a change of diet, and remembering to take the tablet and keep a track of blood sugar levels. Doctor's will explain what the blood sugar level should be. Just try to keep it within the boundaries and everything should be fine. Have you talked to your dad about it? I'm sure he'll be able to explain it to you. Or if you're really worried, you could suggest going with him to the doctor with him on his next appointment and he could explain everything involved?

It really isn't anything for you to worry about. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

my nanny was only diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in january... she had never ever been sick or to the doctor... but as far as i can remember it as quite bad at the time, she got used to taking blood very quickly now she doesnt even think about it shes just gotten used to it all

she used to think having 2 mars bars and some biscuits for dinner was healthy but she has adjusted quite easily... my grandad just basically got rid of most of the stuff she couldnt have... and he tries to eat what she does so she doesnt feel like shes missing out...

i honestly didnt know how they'd cope at that stage but now shes fine and just has regular checkups and eats better... still the occasional mars bar though! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Ive had it for 16 years, doesn't bother me in the slightest really. Could have been something worse tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Irishsingleshol

you need to go to a Dr that would know in and outs on this and ask about it and he may give you so more on it like telphone no and so on brother has it and he has it under control ,,,,,,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

Thanks all for yeer responses.

He is going back in two weeks for more tests and until then he won't be officially classified as diabetic.

The thing is that a couple of years ago he was told by the doctor to watch things and the only thing that was truly changed was he started drinking a "diabetic" orange juice. He did manage to loose some weight but has put it all back on again.

He does get exercise as he is a roofer by day but he is still overweight by a couple of stone I'd say. My dad also works another job and has often worked a night shift after a day shift and he finds it hard to get to doctor or eat at regular times. He's a workaholic.

My biggest worry is that my mother and father have no idea of nutrition and will not under any circumstances listen to me. They are both extremely stuborn people. My mother was also told to cut down on sweet foods as her cholesteral was too high but she ignored this as well and continued to purchase sweet foods such as cakes, biscuits, chocolate e.t.c. I recently found a lump on my mothers back and she is refusing to go to a doctor about it. My mother prepares the majority of my fathers food. It's extremely frustrating and hard to deal with. I can't make them eat the right things and as they won't listen to me or their doctors I don't know what to do.

On top of this my parents do not get along and have no idea how to communicate with each other.

I do not live at home so I feel almost helpless.

A.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭babaduck

The first thing to remember is that your parents are adults and are responsible for their own choices in life (just like you or me). Be under no illusions though, the GP & Diabetic Clinic will have no hesitation in explaining the good, bad and very ugly to your dad - ignoring his diagnosis & changing his diet and lifestyle can cause blindness, gangrene and generally be very unpleasant. Now this is absolute worst case scenario, but a dose of harsh reality will probably shake him out of his comfort zone.

And if your mother won't play ball, what's to stop your father looking after his own food needs. He doesn't have to eat what she prepares if she acts the maggot and refuses to make any changes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Dreamer 7

My dad was diagnosed at 60 with type 2 Diabetes. Apart from a diet plan and plenty of excercise it has had no bad effects on him thank god. He tests his blood every morning and has hospital appointments every month but overall there is no real difference.

Dont stress or treat him different It can be handled very well as long as its given the proper attention

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Since your Dad is in employment, I'm assuming he's in full control of his faculties and far from infirm. Thus, he's responsible for his own actions and decisions. It does get a bit strange as you get older, and suddenly you start to see age creeping in as a factor in your parents' health, but that doesn't mean that you are now responsible for them, purely because you're young and healthy.

As babaduck points out, the Doctor may very well shake a dose of sense into him. If your Dad continues to ignore it, then there's not a whole lot you can do past letting him know that you're worried, and perhaps buying him a (non-condescending) book on nutrition.

There is a point at which you can fall into the "nagging and intruding" category of people, and if that happens, your parents are more likely to do the complete opposite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Might i suggest the Long Term Illness forum? There's loads of us in there with Diabetes (1 and 2) and the more you hear us discuss it, the less scary it'll be.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

thread 6 months old :/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement