Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good books as Gaeilge?

Options
  • 06-06-2006 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

So can anyone suggest a good book that is written (or translated) into Irish?

Please do not suggest 'Peig' :eek: I'm talking more like crime fiction, something current and somewhat post-modern. :)

Suggestions welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭arctic lemur

Dunmharú ar an Dart. Its quite short but interesting.

A thig na thit orm by Maidhc Dainin OSé

Ag Altóir an Diabhail.
    Tomás Mac Síomóin
    Coiscéim 2003

Scéal Bheartla B mar a d’inis sé don dochtúir in institiúid síciatrach atá san aorscéal cliste seo. Cuireann Beartla B síos don dochtúir ar an heachtraí a thug air tabhairt faoi pléascán a chur faoi thogra Martell Electronics i nGleann Sileacóin na hÉireann agus faoin chaoi ar chuir an spéirbhean mheabhail, Juliet Martel, ar chonair an ceannairce é.

In this satiric novel Beartla B describes to his therapist in a psychiatric institution the events which led to his decision to place a bomb under the Martell Electronics plant in the so-called Silicon Valley of Ireland and how the beautiful treacherous Juliet Martel forced him on the path of anarchy.

An Branar Gan Cur.
    Breandán Ó Doibhlin.

Fear óg Ultach a théann ar traein ó Bhaile Átha Cliath ó thuaidh go dtí a bhaile dúchais agus a dhéanann dianmhachnamh ar aislingí na saoirse agus an Ghaelachais le linn an aistir is ábhar don úrscéal fealsúnta seo le duine de phríomh scríbhneoirí agus scoláirí na tíre.

A philosophical novel describing the thoughts of a young Ulsterman during a train journey from Dublin to his hometown, his feelings towards the ideals of freedom and Gaelicism and his aspirations for the future.

An Branar Gan Cur.
    Breandán Ó Doibhlin.

An Cailín Rua
    Catherine Foley

Scéal soléite grá faoi bheirt bhan, Éireannach agus Albánach, a bhí i ngrá leis an aon fhear amháin, le míniú ar fhocail agus nathanna deacra ar gach leathanach.

An easy to read love story about two women, one Irish, the other Albanian, who were in love with the same man, with a glossary of difficult words and phrases on each page.

An Geall
    Liam Mac Uistín

Úrscéal faoi fhear óg atá ar an drabhlás ó bhain sé duais mhór sa Lotó agus a bhfuil ag teip ar a shláinte dá bharr. Sa scéal seo atá dírithe ar fhoghlaimeoirí fásta, agus a bhfuil foclóirín leis, feicimid cad a tharlaíonn nuair a thug sé geall go mbeidh sé ábalta a shaol a shaothrú ar feadh sé mhí gan a bheith i dtuilleamaí ar a chuid airgid. An éireoidh leis nó an bhfillfidh sé ar an drabhlás agus ar an saol bog?

A story about a young man who has been living it up since winning the Lotto. When this starts to affect his health he makes a bet that he can change his ways; he promises not to touch his winnings for six months, living only on whatever money he can earn. Will he succeed?

I'll see what else is out there.

www.litriocht.com is a good resource.

Go n-éirí leat!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Ag Altóir an Diabhail is pretty cool - good dark humour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

hrm... I've never actually read a book in Irish. I'd like to, but my vocabulary has suffered considerable damage since I left school.

must put this on my list of things to do..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Yep, part of my reason for wanting to read a book as Gaeilge is because I want to improve the Irish I have! Ironically my Irish has improved since I left school.

I will have my Irish-English dictionary beside me for the words I don't understand (should be interesting). I love reading so much I figure that having a good book to read will help me to improve my vocabulary :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

fiche bliain ag fás le muiris o suileabhain

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

You serious? That was on the leaving so I won't touch it! Lol. I thought Irish was dead!

NADA wrote:
    You serious? That was on the leaving so I won't touch it! Lol. I thought Irish was dead!

that was merely a passage from it. the whole book is about 60 pages i think, maybe more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

What is it like? Any good?

never finished it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Try 'An Beal Bocht' by Flann O'Brien.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 pixielady

dúnmharú sa daingean
    ní chuimhin liom cé go díreach a scríobh é ach tá pictiúr do phrata ar an gclúdach...ní eíríonn sé níos deise ná sin i mo thuarimse
    is scéal greannmhar quintessentially irish é!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

^^^

Eilís Ní Dhuibhne!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 pixielady

go raibh maith agat céard a cheap tú faoi?

Advertisement