Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy Devil's day one and all

Options
  • 06-06-2006 1:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭

Well, here we are. Japan being a head of most of you time wise is happy to announce the start of The Devil's day, 06-06-2006. Keeping with the festive spirit, I could not resist posting the following. Enjoy.
    PS, I will stand a beer for anyone who can pronounce hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia properly.

Prayer vigil targets Devil's DayDutch evangelical Christians are to hold a round-the-clock prayer vigil to ward off the forces of evil on Tuesday - the so-called Devil's Day.
    They believe that the sixth day of the sixth month of 2006 has great significance for evil-doers and Satanists who revere the number 666.
    In a bid to counteract the forces of evil, more than 2,000 Dutch Christians will hold "a violent day of worship".
    They will be joined by Christians in 23 other countries, organisers say.
    The reference to 666 is taken from the Biblical book of Revelation, which talks about the events leading to the end of the world.
    Revelation 13:18 states: "If anyone has insight, let him calculate the number of the beast, for it is man's number. His number is 666."
    Omen launch
    Behind the initiative is a Dutch evangelical organisation called Ambassadors Ministries.Mathijs Piet, one of the organisers, told the BBC news website that the prayer marathon was to officially start at 1800 on Monday with a prayer rally in Jerusalem.
    "666 is the number of the Devil and we know that on this date, Satanists will try and do many things, so we Christians try and do the opposite," Mr Piet said.
    "We know the Devil hates it when we worship God."
    Organisers expect at least 2,000 Dutch evangelicals to take part in the mass prayer vigil across the Netherlands.
    They are not the only ones to note the significance of the date.
    Film company 20th Century Fox has chosen the same date to launch its remake of the 1976 horror classic The Omen, in which a man comes to realise his son is the Antichrist.
    The fear of the number 666 is known as hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Asiaprod wrote:
    "We know the Devil hates it when we worship God."
    Heh that reminds me of the phrase - "Terrorists hate freedom". :D

I saw a public rosary session going on in Stillorgan Shopping Center on Sunday.
    I wonder if they got their dates mixed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Yay! Satan!

Im declaring the number 812 to be an evil number. What do I need to do to make millions fear it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I assume its only Devil's day if you're a christian? Or do other religions / beliefs associate the number 6 with old nick?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Asiaprod wrote:
    "666 is the number of the Devil and we know that on this date, Satanists will try and do many things, so we Christians try and do the opposite,"
    So.. while the satanists are sacraficing goats, the christians will be doing the opposite... which is... eh.... giving birth to goats?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

So.. while the satanists are sacraficing goats, the christians will be doing the opposite... which is... eh.... giving birth to goats?

Don't be stupid.

They'll be ressurecting goats, clearly.

• Advertisement

Zillah wrote:
    Don't be stupid.

They'll be ressurecting goats, clearly.
    I don't know... that would require CPR and it would look like a bunch of christians making out with goats which is probably something the satanists will be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I don't believe in the devil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Heh that reminds me of the phrase - "Terrorists hate freedom". :D

I thought it was "Michael Moore HATES America" :D

Happy Devils Days everyone! ....hail statan, bloody orgy!!!

814.gif

biko wrote:
    I don't believe in the devil.

Its ok, he believes in you ....

Hail Satan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Pocari Sweat

Today is a double bluff by the lord of darkness, he is coming when you least expect him. He is lying low at the moment, ready to kick off when ye least expect.

He is meant to be coming to slaughter millions of evangelists.

But the mark of the devil is originally meant to be 616.

• Advertisement

But the mark of the devil is originally meant to be 616.
    That's a myth perpetrated by dyslexic tatoo-artists. ;)

He was in Doctor Who on saturday as well.. sleeping inside a planet orbiting a blackhole... very cool... can't wait to see what he gets up to next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭MrB

He was in Doctor Who on saturday as well.. sleeping inside a planet orbiting a blackhole... very cool... can't wait to see what he gets up to next week.

Was I the only one watching that episode and thinking they nicked the plot from Doom? (The original Computer game, not the rubbish movie starring The "Acts like a" Rock)
    Heck they even had the same sound effect for the doors!

MrB wrote:
    Was I the only one watching that episode and thinking they nicked the plot from Doom? (The original Computer game, not the rubbish movie starring The "Acts like a" Rock)
    Heck they even had the same sound effect for the doors!
    MrB have you seen the sword poll? ;)

MrB wrote:
    Was I the only one watching that episode and thinking they nicked the plot from Doom?

Nope, was thinking the same thing. It was still class. The new Doctor Who is a bit hit a miss but I like that episode. Is the conclusion on next weekend, or did I miss it?

MrB have you seen the sword poll? ;)

Seen it and voted, Godless and unarmed unless you count a Swiss army knife :)

Wicknight wrote:
    Nope, was thinking the same thing. It was still class. The new Doctor Who is a bit hit a miss but I like that episode. Is the conclusion on next weekend, or did I miss it?

Not missed it, the conclusion is on next Saturday and is titled "The Satan Pit".
    It's got to be good with a name like that ;)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Pocari Sweat

With today being 6 / 6 / 06, what adjustment to the calender is required from Pope Gregory's discovery in the 16th century when he found out the church had not worked out the missing (approximate) 1/4 of a day that needed to be rounded up to one extra day every 4 years (leap year)?

With 52 weeks a year = 364 days, plus 1.25 days (approx) = 365.25, there is an extra day needed every 4 years and 100 days every 400 years, so by 1460 AD there were 365 days missing, 1 year approx.

As Jesus's birth was also miscalculated by around 5 or 6 years ahead of the actual date, was he born in 5 or 6 BC? And is an extra year needed for adjustment because of the Gregorian calendar update? Was Jesus born in 7 BC?

Is it now 1999 or 2000 since Jesus's actual birth? And was he born at Xmas or during the summer?

If the Hebrew Tora is translated correctly using the number 616 as the mark of the beast, does it mean every 616 years is a dodgey year from 7 BC ie starting from 659 AD, and is every 616 years after a dodgey period?

Next is 1275 then 1891 then 2507.

Or is it any date a 1000 years from 7 BC that is the 6th of January say 6 / 1 / 993 and then 6 / 1 / 1993, give or take a year with Pope Greg offset?, and six months for winter / summer birth mix up?

Or 6 years after birth of 7 BC, ie, 6th Jan 1 BC, which is 6 / 1 / 6 actual birth calender?

And then every 1000 years? - Next 6th Jan 999, which is 6 / 1 / 1006 and then 6th Jan 1999, which is 6 / 1 / 2006.

Have we missed it by 5 days, was it last Thursday?

Edit - er.. above based on yesterday, its past 12 now.

I bet you loved The DaVinci Code.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

I saw a public rosary session going on in Stillorgan Shopping Center on Sunday.
    I wonder if they got their dates mixed up.
    this is one funny thread,:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 the clansman

Zillah wrote:
    Yay! Satan!

Im declaring the number 812 to be an evil number. What do I need to do to make millions fear it?

try get it as a number representing satan in the bible thats how

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭maitri

Reminds me that I almost bought a doormat with the inscription:

"333 - Half Evil!" :p

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Asiaprod wrote:
    I will stand a beer for anyone who can pronounce hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia properly.

\o/
    I had no problem whatsoever pronouncing that,
    of course I understand you can't hear me all the way over there in Japan, so you'll just have to take my word for it....
    <_<
    >_>

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Beruthiel wrote:
    \o/
    I had no problem whatsoever pronouncing that,
    of course I understand you can't hear me all the way over there in Japan, so you'll just have to take my word for it....
    <_<
    >_>

And I keep my word:)
    Should be back in sunny Ireland later this year, will buy you a beer or two.

Advertisement