Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Ir Times letter] First Aid at rail stations

Options
  • 06-06-2006 12:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 721 ✭✭✭

06.06.06, Irish Times

Madam, - A recent incident at Heuston Station highlighted for me the complete lack of any first aid or medical facilities for passengers who suddenly become seriously ill.

Surely Iarnród Éireann could provide a person trained, at least, in first aid to cater for the thousands of people who pass through Heuston every day. - Yours, etc,

PATRICK O'BYRNE, Shandon Crescent, Dublin 7.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,266 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Any idea what happened?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

This is a good point actually.. most of the railway stations on the Cork-Cobh line are unmanned, and theres no first aid kit or anything. Trouble is, if there was, it would get vandalised quickly.

But I thought all owned company public places had to have some form of first aid kit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭MarkoP11

As far as I know all trains carry a selection of emergency equipment which includes a first aid box, ladder and a selection of fire extinguishers. There may even be a saw and rope as well (great for fallen trees).

Question is have all staff in a safety critical role been trained, I doubt it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

I see DFB ambulances at Heuston fairly regularly, so presumably a reasonable number of people are taken ill there, hardly surprising given the transient population.

I've seen staff at Heuston running across the concourse with first-aid kits and and walkie talkies in hand, so they seem to have some first-aid facilities.

Most decent size train stations in the UK have defibrillators mounted on the walls for the last few years, I don't think that has been tried in train stations here yet though.

On the training element, health and safety requirements are that places of employment provide first aid facilities and trained first aiders appropriate to the number of employees and level of risk, I presume IE are compliant with this.

Advertisement