Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my report on the 400 IPT game

Options
  • 05-06-2006 11:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭

On Sunday i headed to citywest to watch some of the IPT final and play the €400 event.
    I was early so i played a €80 satelite for 2 seats, had Stephen Hendry 2 to my right. It went well and we got 3 handed, with me, stephen and another. After a lot of tooing and froing 3 handed, we split it up, so i got into the €400 event for basically half price, a nice start to the day.
    I had Padraig Parkinson, and a few UK players on my table, and the starting stacks were 7k, with 136 runners and a 53k prize pool.
    Early on, i decided to limp with 54d, and called a raise after someone else had also called, so 3 of us saw the flop. This came 59T with 2 diamonds. I checked to the raiser who bet 500 into the pot which was about 750. The other guy folded, i decided this bet looked weak, and he likely coulda missed, also i had a flush draw and a pair, so i made it 1500, he called. The turn was another Ten. Now he cant have liked this card, surely, and my check raise on the flop could easily have meant a ten. I decided to check this to him, fully expecting him to check behind, but he fired 3k at the pot. I didnt expect that, and i guess he had AT, i had to fold so a bad start.
    I battled away and climbed back towards the starting stack, after 2 hours play i had 6.2k, the average was almost 9k.
    It hotted up after this. Parkinson had made it 900 on my BB a couple of times, and i had folded. So when he did this again, (blinds 200/400) i decided to call with Ah6h. The flop came 247 all black, i checked and he bet 1200 at it. Now im sure he has none of that, and he was just targeting my BB, i moved all in, he folded and i showed the A6h, hoping to send out a message.
    He claims he knew i had none of it, and almost called me with worse , lol.
    The very next hand i got AQ late to act, a short stack moved in for 2.2k, Vernon Clay, a gambling loose style player flat called, i decided im well ahead of shorties range, and Vernon also has a wide range, but as me and him were similarly stacked, i pushed to get him out and isolate the shorty. Well Vernon decided to put his 12k stack on the line with 88, and shorty had A5, we were racing. I filled a house and was above average for the first time, off and running.
    I was still stacking those chips, when literally the next hand, i had my first pp of the tourney, 3 hours in, and it was KK. A 9k stack made it 1400 to go, and the player to my right reraised to 3k, he had a large stack. I decided it best to push here and maybe get one caller. The first guy was a cash player, and muttered something about knowing he was way behind, but maybe 2 callers, getting 2/1 etc, but really, im not coming over the top of big stacks re raise without a monster, and this kid had 8k left, only 1k committed, he called me with AT, the big stack folded, an ace fell and im back to about 29k instead of 60k.
    After this i picked up 77 and called in middle position. The flop came 683 with 2 spades and BB led for 1500, just over half pot. This screamed str8 or spade draw at me, so i called. The turn came a red Queen, he bet 2500, hmmm, i figured he definetely has a draw and called. The river came an ace, the draws all missed, and when he upped the bet to 5k, i was sure i was ahead, i called and he mucked. He went mental, wondering how on earth i call with 3 overcards on the board etc, but i really felt like my 77 was good, he later told me he had 34 spades.
    Then i picked up KK on the SB, folded around so i called to get some action. The flop came low and i bet 1200 on each street, called down by the BB who then mucked.
    At the 2nd break i had 43k, the average was 16k, and i was flying. Similar to my position in the Leinster cup 2 weeks ago , when i had 51k when the avg was 16k, and messed it up.
    After the break came a hand, which i still debate as to whether i played right. I had about 48k at the time, well above average. One player moved in for 9k, another hesitated, and called for 11k.
    Neither seemed ultra strong, the blinds were starting to bite. I was last to act and had KQh.
    Now i dont like calling 2 all ins with KQ, but theres 23k in the pot, its 10k more to me, im getting better than 9/4. If i win i have 70k, and can dominate the table somewhat, if i lose i still have an above average stack. I decided to call and was against AK and 99, a King fell, but no more help and 11k gone west. I still think in terms of trying to win the tournament, i was right to call, opinions on this one wanted if anyone has any.
    Later i got KK again, and decided to call a 4k raise, hoping he would have a pop at the flop. He check folded however, i saw KK 3 times in the tourney, and no sets, or other pairs above 88.
    I found 43 on the SB when blinds were 1k/2k, one limper and i called for 1k into pot of about 7k inc the antes. Flop came Q54 and we all checked. When the turn came another Q, i decided i was ahead, or at least i wanted to see if i was ahead, so i bet 4k at it. BB folded and limper stared me down intently. He was sure i was nicking it. We ended up getting a clock, and he got counted down. He had AJ or similar i am sure, and almost called, but i took that one down.
    We were down to 24 players, with 14 paid, and i felt comfortable, i was playing well and had decent reads on most of the table.
    Then the crucial hand, i found AJ of spades, one off the cut off, i made it 8k to go, (blinds 1/2k).
    Young lad dwelt for an age, and decided to push for 18k. I felt sure he wanted me to fold. I read him for a middle pocket pair, 88 or 99, it was 10k more, leaving me 19k behind, and the pot was going to be 40k, average was about 29k, so back to 60k if i win it.
    I called, he had 44 and despite hitting an 4 flush, a gutshot str8 and an ace, i lost it to his turned set.
    Soon after and the blinds went through me, i pushed with AT and ran into AK and that was it.
    Gone in 23rd/24th place or thereabouts, dissapointing in the end, but enjoyable, and i felt if i had of won one of those races i coulda gone quite deep. A nicely run tourney as usual and it was about 2.20am when i was sent to the rail, although the blinds were starting to bite and it was turning into a crapshoot a bit........

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,126 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Nice report, unlucky in places but KK x 3 is nice too.
    At least you seem for the most part happy with the way you played.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Nice report Rob. On the KQ thing I do agree you have to get down and dirty to win but with 2 other players KQ doesn't look too good to me tbh. 9/4 is not enough imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Shortstack

Ul Rob. I managed to cling onto my shortstack until 15th. TBH I was annoyed that the structure was changed from advertised and then changed again mid way through. This is the first time I have seen this happen at a Pokerevents tournament and hopefully the last.

I made a similar call with KQs, the button had moved in for 10k. I had 10.7k and the small blind had under called. Blinds were 500/1000 and I feel there is a good chance I have two overs and racing. Of course I could be strangled but as it was they had TT and 77 and I hit a King and Queen on the flop.

In the end the blinds got me, every time I got a stack just below average I lost a race to get me above average. Finally my J7 was no good against KT.

Samba was unlucky not to win a four way all in with KK, he was up against one Ace and I had fold one but one atill managed to appear on the flop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

Once an all in preflop pot becomes multiway pairs fare much better than unpaired cards, and KQ isnt even a paticulary good unpaired hand.

Im not sure of the exact action and the blinds, but assumin you didnt have much invested I think its a clear fold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

1. I was still stacking those chips, when literally the next hand, i had my first pp of the tourney, 3 hours in, and it was KK. A 9k stack made it 1400 to go, and the player to my right reraised to 3k, he had a large stack. I decided it best to push here and maybe get one caller. The first guy was a cash player, and muttered something about knowing he was way behind, but maybe 2 callers, getting 2/1 etc, but really, im not coming over the top of big stacks re raise without a monster, and this kid had 8k left, only 1k committed, he called me with AT, the big stack folded, an ace fell and im back to about 29k instead of 60k.
    2. After this i picked up 77 and called in middle position. The flop came 683 with 2 spades and BB led for 1500, just over half pot. This screamed str8 or spade draw at me, so i called. The turn came a red Queen, he bet 2500, hmmm, i figured he definetely has a draw and called. The river came an ace, the draws all missed, and when he upped the bet to 5k, i was sure i was ahead, i called and he mucked. He went mental, wondering how on earth i call with 3 overcards on the board etc, but i really felt like my 77 was good, he later told me he had 34 spades.
    3. Then i picked up KK on the SB, folded around so i called to get some action. The flop came low and i bet 1200 on each street, called down by the BB who then mucked.

I assume i have the right guy here, wearing a Ryder Cup cap?? If so then I'm not crazy and I was dealing at your table for bit. ANother boardster who's face I can now put to a name, i'll introduce myself next time.

1. I was dealing your table for hands 2 and 3 but heard you and the young guy discussing hand 1 as the tournement went on break. I think you called it as described, fine call for him in cash game because of odds etc etc but in tournement its his entire game on the line so its a fold.

2. This hand was easily in my top 3 plays of the week (well done! :p could be number one but Thomas Middleton in the main event impressed ALOT!) his bets did stink of a draw as they were trying to get rid of you, and his 5k bet on the river was very weak, all the same to stay with your 77 all the way took some guts. When you called and said "just a pair" and showed 77 your opponent was gutted. It was a fantastic hand and great to watch - i have since told the story of this hand to about 10+ people, you're famous! :D

3. this was soon after and another great hand. you explained it at the table to the guy to your right as something along the lines of 'if i raise, he folds, and i don't have to worry about the Ace on the board becuase if the BB has an ace he'd have raised me after limping." it was an excellent example of using all the information and getting max value.

Well played, and unlucky in the end, you (or "that guy with the ryder cup hat") were my tournement favourtite at the break.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Norwich Fan Rob

yes that was me in the hat :)
    (i can pretty much always be found in an EPT cap, a norwich city fc cap, or my new 2006 ryder cup cap).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭ocallagh

wp Rob (especially with the 77 hand!) and unlucky not to cash again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

From the Department of Mr. Ac10c

You need to learn some grace in defeat when you lose a pot as a big favourite. It will really help your game in the long run, giving out about losing a pot is not going to make those chips come back, quite the opposite.

I nod my head and smile in defeat, I don't make a scene about it. Begs a question who the kid is.

There were a few factors which made me call.

in 5 mintues more I was going to have less than 10 bb's left with me on the bb next hand, there was perhaps one other pot of that size for the entire time I was at the table, it was tighter than ducks a s s.

I didn't have 9k, get your facts right.

I was on just under 7k after Padraig re-raised my blind steal all in not so long before. I did have about 9k prior to that incident.

I had 5.5k behind me after the raise, I like the way you increased my stack size to make the call sound even worse!

Now, Player who re-raised to 3k started grabbing his chips as if he wanted to call. I put both of you on big pairs 1010-KK.

And as I told you, I knew damn well I was behind to that action, I gambled to acquire a stack or die, i've no interest on sitting on a 8 bb stack considering how card dead i was for teh entire tournament.

Im not going to see a pot size of this magnitude again, im willing to gamble my tournament life to acquire this stack, I have no intention of sitting through a tournament for 8 hours to win €0 and get blinded out.

Im by no means a good tournament player, I have no illusions of this, I told you, Im cash player. While for a tournament player this is a fold, this is the second tournament I have played since the start of the year.

My time at the poker table is valuable, I lose that hand im off to the cash tables in the Fitz. I won an 80 Eur sat to enter that tourney.

I probably would have folded had I paid the full 400 buy in and I may have taken the tournament a little more seriously.

I didn't mutter anything, I said very clearly, I was getting well over 3:1 if re-raiser is calling, which I thought he would, as it turns out my little speech made him fold and I was lucky he did.

You are right Rob, my AT was a fold and I have a lot to learn in regards to tournament play, the dilema you have, is you want me there with A10 every day of the week, yet you will make a scene out of it when you lose to me.

Your KK came back to haunt me if that makes you feel any better, I lost the pot and tapped the table and continued on with my game without muttering a word to the Gent with AQ, that's how i take my beats. like a man.

I was the one who also knocked you out with AK v A10, no 10 of Justice came unfortunately, even though I probably deserved it, I told you so myself.

Karma Caught up.

All in all, I have to say this will be the last tournament i will be playing for some time. That tournament structure left a bad taste in my mouth.

Im also curious, this constant referall of the Young lad.

What age do you think I am, 18?

I forgot to ad, commiserations to Nicky, I felt your pain, J high flop with Nicky holding QJ, Nicky played the hand to perfection, check raised his opponent all in who called with J5, the turn sent shivers down my spine.

Should have gone on to at least cash.

Jesus man, i just questioned your call at the break, i hardly made a big scene.
    (ok i shouldnt have said anything, apologies)

U played the hand awful in my opinion to be honest, at best 3 outs, and u didnt have the odds even if we both call (and even then very often u see AK and QQ, giving very few outs), the other big stack needs AA to call me after my re re raise from his strong play and his big stack in my opinion, so to think he would call was optimistic at best, calling double all ins with marginals when u still have 20 BBs (blinds were 200/400) is not the way to build a big stack.

If the table was as tight as u claim, then surely opening raising and taking some blinds was a better option than calling 2 all ins (as u hoped for) with likely to be dominated junk from 2 tight and equally large stacked players.

you had 1400 in pre flop, it was another 8k for u to call, i remember it clearly.

• Advertisement

ok, i called u a kid once, as i dont know your name, and u were younger than the average player in the tourney, i never meant to indicate u were 18ish.

You made a scene....directly after the hand.

It was after you had calmed down, that we both discussed the hand rationaly.

I don't play tournaments, im a tournament Donk, i'll be the first to admit this....again for the third time to you.

Blinds were 200/400 and about to rise to 300/600 in the next few minutes.

after the hand was over I had a stack of approx. 18k, the math is not adding up there, if i did have a stack of 9k.

He was going to call you, if i didn't, he had his hands firmly wrapped around his chips and ready to push over the line, you failed to notice this. You were two busy thinking about that pretty hand you had :)

So either way, you were getting dogged by one of us.
    That was his 6th ever live tournament, I can assure you he was calling and his body language was screaming this out.

And here you are again, re-confirming how bad my play was..... jesus man, get over that hand.

It was a bad play that got rewarded, do you honestly believe that I went away thinking I played the hand great and that if I do this again I'll be rewarded, I will in cash play, no in a tourney, I agreed with you on the day that I should not have called considering my Tourney life is on the line, this is somthing i don't consider as a cash gamer.

Yet here you are again, explaining once more, what i've agreed with you, twice now.

Maybe you can post up again, how bad I played the hand.
    It seems to be making you feel better.

ok, i called u a kid once, as i dont know your name, and u were younger than the average player in the tourney, i never meant to indicate u were 18ish.

Twice this has been said and once possibly by someone who is younger than me! Ironing is fun.

I'll be sure to bring you all a big bag of werthers originals in my next tournament.

if he was calling my over 20k odd all in, with his equally big stack, u think your little alleged 5k will have changed his mind !!!!!

Enough said.

No, 6.1k

As previously stated, it was my little speech that made him fold. My stack size had nothing to do with it.

Good, i hope you are done whinging now.

Come see me at the cash tables any time Kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

This thread demands a HU grudge match, plz post table name and time, ty.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

should I get the ruler out :)

Sure i dogged him and then went on to knock him out, that;s enough satisfaction for one day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

calm down calm down...

i was the dealer at the table for the on break discussion of this hand... it seemed friendly and just a poker theory discussion... calm down! kiss and make up... or ehm... yea heads up grudge match sounds good!

Samba i'm guessing your the guy who showed me the AA on the last hand before the break.

hehehe, i''d say your 22-25...?!!?!? ehhehe :)

just one last thing, if u wanted the other dude to call, to get your 2/1 odds so u could triple up, what are u now saying u were speech playing to get him to fold.

ive got nothing more to add, ive stated the facts, i can only assume its because i inocently referred to this guy as a "kid", no offence meant, that hes totally gone off on one, i will not reply any more to this thread on this matter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

Samba wrote:
    I forgot to ad, commiserations to Nicky, I felt your pain, J high flop with Nicky holding QJ, Nicky played the hand to perfection, check raised his opponent all in who called with J5, the turn sent shivers down my spine.

Should have gone on to at least cash.

Yeah I had quite a disappointing weekend but managed a 6th in the €300 event for €2K but even that ended in quite a horrible beat.

What was funny about my exit from 3 of the weekends tournaments was they all involved bad beats on J-T-rag flops.

In the €800 I flopped a set of Tens against the guy who played Micky Pearse in Only fools and horses. All the chips went in. He had Queens and rivered a third for set over set.

At the final table of the €300 I got all my chips in with AJ on an ideantical J-T-X flop and was called by AT only for him to hit running spades for a flush!! Aaargh!!

I thought the standard from most of the Irish players was very poor in all events. Brendan Walls was at my table for a while on Day one and all I can describe his play as was "dodgy" but then I could say a lot worse about standard of play from many of English pros, and don't talk to me about the scandies. They really are clueless.

Well done to MRPillowtalk for coming close. Definitely one for the future.

Blows a kiss at Rob. ;)

Lets just move on shall we? If anything I have learnt from that mistake.

It was a bad play and a clear fold.

DIT, was nice to have met you, a fine dealer you are! I asked the other player what he called my raise with on the break, he had pocket 9's! If only the flop had come 8 high. I got few chips.

I handed out some awful doggings on that table, QK v AK, DIT popped two Q's on the flop.

I'll tell you what Norwich, I'm a tournament Donkey! can we now agree to disagree? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Samba wrote:
    Blows a kiss at Rob. ;)

Lets just move on shall we? If anything I have learnt from that mistake.

It was a bad play and a clear fold.

DIT, was nice to have met you, a fine dealer you are! I asked the other player what he called my raise with on the break, he had pocket 9's! If only the flop had come 8 high. I got few chips.

I handed out some awful doggings on that table, QK v AK, DIT popped two Q's on the flop.

I'll tell you what Norwich, I'm a tournament Donkey! can we now agree to disagree? :)

How did you do in the end kid!?

Samba:Rounders, look out behind you, Rounders: huh?

SLAP

I'm 26 DIT ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Ah yeah im only kidding. I remember seeing some pictures of you in an event you went deep in(maybe last years pokerevents game that flipper won) the game that you were offering lifts to as i can remember.

samba, im sorry we got off on the wrong foot, i hope u went on to cash in the end?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Samba wrote:
    I'm 26 DIT ;)
    Ah 26, I remember this through the fog of time........

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭The Snapper

5starpool wrote:
    Ah 26, I remember this through the fog of time........

Me too Dom, ah sweet and distant memories of when I too was just a kid.:D

Sadly I no longer have to suffer the indignity of being referred to as Kid. Ah those were the days.:)

Rob, apology accepted and reciprocated. Yes I did go on to cash for 700, 14th.

The KK multi-way pot was the begining of my demise, i've got alot to learn in regards to tourney play and that one hand taught me a valuable lesson.

I saw no hands after that and every move was all-in. The bb then came around which cost me 8k, with approx. 24 behind me, 3 bb's.

The button pushed, I looked down at Q10, I had no interest in hanging on for dear life, I wanted a stack at the final table. I called putting my opponent on Ax, pp.

He had AJ.

We both hit some of the flop but I got no help. I was quite distraught how the tournament turned into such a cr ap shoot :(

• Advertisement

I'll view my status as a Kid as a positive thing ;)

Advertisement