Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Etiquette?

Options
  • 05-06-2006 8:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭

Its seems this crazy irish sun has turned the golfing nation into a bunch of rude punks. Played today and was surrounded by half dressed men drinking beers and talking on their f*cking cellphone as i tee off from the 18th :mad: .
    As i stepped up to my ball his phone rang, he continued to answer it and sit their talking for about 5mins. I nearly swung around and smacked him with my club.
    A 4-ball also decided to just jump the line and start from the 10th, lucky for my dad and i we had just finished the 8th :cool: . They held us up on every hole basically running a mock, one guy seemed to be playing 3 different balls.
    What did the sun do to everyone!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

dude i wish it was the sun that brought them out, but truth is they are there all the time, the sun just multiplies the numbers,
    about 4 weeks ago i was standing over my second shot, waiting to play into the green when a ball from the hole on my right landed on my foot, i looked up to shout at the player for not shouting fore when a ball from the hole on my left hit my bag about a metre to my right, neither shouted fore and worse still the guy who hit me wouldn't come over to get his ball, and i ended up having to restrain my buddy who wanted to "talk " to them. Etiquette it seems is no longer required and i for one not only blame the people but also the courses, the lack of rangers and indeed lack of action from the ranger when informed is all to common accross the many golf courses i've played. i'm no pro, i've hit a few stray balls too (but i make sure nearly everyone on the course knows there's a wild ball out there, i don't just watch it hit someone.) and as for some guys who (as you pointed out) seem to think everyone wants to hear their conversation "YA LOIKE YA! OI'LL MEET YOU IN THE NINETEENTH *GUFFAW*" and then take 45 minutes to play a hole without letting players through GRRR

• Registered Users Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Trampas

Its seems this crazy irish sun has turned the golfing nation into a bunch of rude punks. Played today and was surrounded by half dressed men drinking beers and talking on their f*cking cellphone as i tee off from the 18th :mad: .
    As i stepped up to my ball his phone rang, he continued to answer it and sit their talking for about 5mins. I nearly swung around and smacked him with my club.
    A 4-ball also decided to just jump the line and start from the 10th, lucky for my dad and i we had just finished the 8th :cool: . They held us up on every hole basically running a mock, one guy seemed to be playing 3 different balls.
    What did the sun do to everyone!!

Where were you playing??

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭rick_fantastic

lucky for me i dont play golf on public courses so!

saying that was playing pitch and putt in glencullen there on sunday and there was 3 spanish lads playing behind us who kept hitting balls into greens we were still playing on! one nearly hit me so i tee'd it up and smacked it over their heads and off the course. they were going mad but didnt hit anywhere near us again

rick i wasn't on a public course either, they are everywhere, most courses will take green fees off anyone, and with one going in to pay and no rangers around the others can be wearing whatever they like (or not wearing).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭delboy159

Is this a bit of a Dublin thing lads? Was playing 9 holes with the old fella yesterday and no such hassles at all (in Portlaoise). The odd time I've played in the course close to my better half (Ballaghderren) they are always very polite - sometimes I play on my own (not knowing anyone down there) and lads passing me a hole or two ahead will say just to play through if/when I catch up..... Very different attitude to Dublin. I played a few times in Deerpark - but the manners was brutal, 4 balls bullying through 3 balls, even though there was a back log ahead, so you couldn't play any faster. They bully through (literally landing balls where you take your 2nd shot, say nothing and play through), then at the next hole they are waiting for lads to tee off and you stand there and say why did you bully through, there's a back log ahead.... They just shrug........ People can be ignorant down the country too, but Dublin in the sun is demented....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Trampas wrote:
    Where were you playing??

I was playing at Moor Park in Meath, it is a public course but i think a really cool one. I played at Navan on Saturday and had guys running around without shirts on which is very unusual for that course, they are strict.

delboy159 wrote:
    Is this a bit of a Dublin thing lads? Was playing 9 holes with the old fella yesterday and no such hassles at all (in Portlaoise). The odd time I've played in the course close to my better half (Ballaghderren) they are always very polite - sometimes I play on my own (not knowing anyone down there) and lads passing me a hole or two ahead will say just to play through if/when I catch up..... Very different attitude to Dublin. I played a few times in Deerpark - but the manners was brutal, 4 balls bullying through 3 balls, even though there was a back log ahead, so you couldn't play any faster. They bully through (literally landing balls where you take your 2nd shot, say nothing and play through), then at the next hole they are waiting for lads to tee off and you stand there and say why did you bully through, there's a back log ahead.... They just shrug........ People can be ignorant down the country too, but Dublin in the sun is demented....
    i'd say the Normal Person:Arsehole ratio is similar but
    bigger population means bigger catchment of arseholes,

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Usually on the local 3-par in Leixlip, its grand, if someone catchs up we let them thru, and vice versa.

As for the bully-boy sh|t, if a ball landed near me, and no-one had said anything, I'd pocket it. That or lob it into the bush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭delboy159

Hey Endurance man - I played Moor Park last summer with a friend who lives around there and was very impressed with it. Some really nice holes. The 9th & 18th (I think) are elevated with the stream about 180 yrds away. I know I can make it if I swing easy - luckily I made it. Some nice slightly elevated greens too, cheap enough spot also, if I remember correctly. I'm aiming to get up there in the next few weeks to give it another go..

Love finding those little gems that are cheap and cheerful, have a nice bit of character and still a test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

delboy159 wrote:
    Hey Endurance man - I played Moor Park last summer with a friend who lives around there and was very impressed with it. Some really nice holes. The 9th & 18th (I think) are elevated with the stream about 180 yrds away. I know I can make it if I swing easy - luckily I made it. Some nice slightly elevated greens too, cheap enough spot also, if I remember correctly. I'm aiming to get up there in the next few weeks to give it another go..

Love finding those little gems that are cheap and cheerful, have a nice bit of character and still a test.

I know! Its an amazing course! The 9th and 18th are so much fun if you make it over :D, but the wind is usually pumping up their. The greens are great, fairways are clean, just a cool course. I also like it cause the people playing their are usually chilled, lets hope this sun loving crowd doesnt stay long :P.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭The Ace Face

I haven't played a public course in years, but if any muppet intentionally landed his ball beside me in I would calmly walk back to the tee and tell him if he does it again I'll hit it back to him. I know some guys in competitions that have turned around and hit the ball back! It is dangerous and smacks of bad manners.

Anyone who even brings a mobile on the course should be expelled.

Ray

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

what annoys me the most, is players on a non competitive round, stalking two foot putts like it's the bloomin US Masters...gedon wid it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Poker & Pints

foxyboxer wrote:
    what annoys me the most, is players on a non competitive round, stalking two foot putts like it's the bloomin US Masters...gedon wid it!

I can sympathize..but:

How do you know its not competitive??? When I play a round with my mates we ususally have at least 500 a side on the game.

The problem lies with the golf course not enforcing speed of play, not the golfers. If a marshall was around to provide enforcement and etiquette both before and during rounds then it would be more enjoyable. But with the explosion of golf, courses have neglected this little nuance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭GreenHorn

I don't really have a problem with lads taking their time over putts etc (within reason of course!), the reason being - the fewer shots someone takes, the quicker they'll be!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭DIEGO WORST

GreenHorn wrote:
    I don't really have a problem with lads taking their time over putts etc (within reason of course!), the reason being - the fewer shots someone takes, the quicker they'll be!

somebody once said: "If you're going to miss it, miss it quick", and I couldn't agree more.

I find that the best putters around, take little time to decide on line and hit their putts - the poorer putter often takes a longer amount of time to line up a putt - and will miss more often than not. So on the green he takes twice as long to hit a shot, and hits twice as many shots.

I blame TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭GreenHorn

I would agree in a way alright. I would actually also encourage people to speed up their game and routine to improve their score...

I am currently having the most consistent spell of ball striking and all round play since I took up the game about four years ago (there's the kibosh anyway - I won't be able to hit it out of my way this weekend no doubt!). I put this down largely to the fact that I have dramatically cut the time i spent standing over the ball.

I had a habit of getting 'stuck' over the ball. I was always conscious to move quickly from shot to shot and to be ready to play when it was my turn so as not to slow the group down but I often would stand over the ball and if I didn't hit it almost right away i would end up doing about four million waggles before starting my backswing. It was needless to say a great source of fun/ridicule for my golfing buddies.

I hit the ball very quickly once I get over it now and have started hitting the ball much more consistently. I don't think I've hit a bad shot because I felt that I 'rushed' it so far either which has convinced me that speeding it up is one way to help you to a lower score...

what i hate about slow putters is the guy who has marked his ball and only when everyone else is finished putting out will he replace the ball and only then take his head cover off the putter( it's not a formula 1 tyre, it won't cool down) and only then lines up his putt, those guys are up there own holes, they should have been sussing out there line all along in the background and just need a quick 10-20 second check after seeing how others balls react, but i've had to stop playing with 2 or 3 guys, who only start their entire set up afetr everyone else is in, taking bealry 2 minutes over it on practice rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

GreenHorn wrote:
    I would agree in a way alright. I would actually also encourage people to speed up their game and routine to improve their score...

I am currently having the most consistent spell of ball striking and all round play since I took up the game about four years ago (there's the kibosh anyway - I won't be able to hit it out of my way this weekend no doubt!). I put this down largely to the fact that I have dramatically cut the time i spent standing over the ball.

I had a habit of getting 'stuck' over the ball. I was always conscious to move quickly from shot to shot and to be ready to play when it was my turn so as not to slow the group down but I often would stand over the ball and if I didn't hit it almost right away i would end up doing about four million waggles before starting my backswing. It was needless to say a great source of fun/ridicule for my golfing buddies.

I hit the ball very quickly once I get over it now and have started hitting the ball much more consistently. I don't think I've hit a bad shot because I felt that I 'rushed' it so far either which has convinced me that speeding it up is one way to help you to a lower score...

A great fix for "stuck over the ball syndrome" is to take a deep breath, relax the mind and swing freely. It works brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

tbh most bad manners is on public courses cause they are full of "hackers" who havnt a clue bout golf and jsut stall it in jeans and football jerseys. Shouldnt get that on a private membership course, cause they will jsut get in **** like.

it's 50-50 DOC you will get hackers who don't know how to play, you'll also get members that don't know how to play and don't care about the well being of others on the course. taking their sweet ass time or worse teeing off when the fairway isn't clear because they feel like it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

They dont have to be half naked running around the course or wearing scruffy clothes not to know how to behave on a course.

A mate of mine was telling me of 4 guys who are longtime members of a course and 2 of them were going away on hols so decided to try and get a game of golf in before they went.. so they "bribe" the person whos looking after the tee off times as they had no time booked and just stroll up to the
    1st tee walking past everyone was were waiting and proceed to tee off.

It wouldnt have been so bad except for the fact that the time and the hour either side had been block booked for a comp and there were about 5 groups ready to tee off..

Needless to say it wasnt taken lightly and the 4 guys were told rather impolitely that if they didnt step off the tee, they would be removed forceably and the their gold clubs shoved somewhere rather painful.. :D

Advertisement