Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HD Ready...I AM.. but where is the HD?

Options
  • 05-06-2006 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭

:confused: Whats the story with this>? I notice sky ( in UK only I assume ) are now broadcasting in HD. Over here every tv for sale is plugging HD ready now...but when will we be HD ready over here???:confused:
    Is it all a big TV selling scam?!:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

I seen a sky van the other day with sky HD advertised on it, I suppose it's just a matter of time before it gets over here? But the sets aren't only for hd tv content man, people are buying them for hd stuff such as xbox360, ps3, and future proofing there sets for whenever hd-dvd content takes off.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Seems pretty ponitless to spend that ammount of money on them now when they can only be used to half their potential...why not wait until they are cheaper, better quality and can be used to max potential ?

Remember who expensive dvd players were when they first came out ? Hands up who bought them straight away ?...eejits!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

It's ireland, there not gonna get much cheaper. Big screen crt tv's are still expensive. The HD ready tv's out atm will work fine for sky HD and xbox 360. Check the satellite forum, ppl already have SKY HD over here. If you dont have sky HD or xbox 360 etc, dont waste your money. But if you do then you'll need one sooner or later. Can't even see the writing on Tiger Woods 360 on my normal tv!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I notice sky ( in UK only I assume ) are now broadcasting in HD.

nope, it is in Ireland too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Tusky wrote:
    Seems pretty ponitless to spend that ammount of money on them now when they can only be used to half their potential...why not wait until they are cheaper, better quality and can be used to max potential ?

Remember who expensive dvd players were when they first came out ? Hands up who bought them straight away ?...eejits!

Well when most people buy a tv they keep it for a fair few years so their better being prepared then having to shell over more money in a year or two time. And I wouldnt call people who buy things early eejits. Maybe they value ceratin things more than you? everything goes down in price eventually, why didnt you wait to buy the pc your viewing the internet on and Im sure you couldve getting it for a lot cheaper? Also its becuase of people like that that we even have dvd players today never mind the price they are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

It's ireland, there not gonna get much cheaper. Big screen crt tv's are still expensive.
    CRT Televisions are nowhere near as expensive as they were a few years ago. It's not too many years ago since widescreen TV's became available, and things like "100Hz" and "flatscreen" were buzzwords! I recall the nice Sony 32" Wide TV with 100Hz and Flatscreen etc being well above €1,000.

CRT's are cheaper now, though variety is getting much thinner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

daveirl wrote:

Tell me daveirl is it really the revolution some people are touting it as? I mean I cant see this taking off amongst the standard non-tech minded consumer the same way dvd did. The main draw for many with dvd was the more compact size and added features+ ease of use not picture quality which lets face it most(regualr) consumers arent to concerned about.

HD is amazing. the picture quality is superb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

Babybing wrote:
    Tell me daveirl is it really the revolution some people are touting it as? I mean I cant see this taking off amongst the standard non-tech minded consumer the same way dvd did. The main draw for many with dvd was the more compact size and added features+ ease of use not picture quality which lets face it most(regualr) consumers arent to concerned about.

Nopes. The main draw with dvd was way better sound and picture quality. Added features were a selling point too but these were pretty poor at the beginning. I'm not that interested in shelling out money to sky just to get Sky HD though. I will buy a hd tv for hd dvd's and up scaling normal dvd's as soon as the right one (price wise and quality wise) comes out.

If anyone that has a hd tv and wants to upscale their current dvd collection. This player looks the business. http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=6639

You can buy it multiregion enabled or buy a normal one and apply the multiregion hack yourself.

I'm getting one as soon as I find the right hd tv. :) preferably a crt hd tv. There's a Samsung crt hd tv out at the moment but its supposed to be rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

byte

As HD is still in its infancy here, I'd expect hardware to drop in prices. And we still have to wait on Blu-Ray or HD DVD players to emerge (yippee another pointless format war).

Some time in the future I'd expect NTL/Chorus/UPC to launch a few HD channels for their subscribers, and much later in the future, when we get DTT :rolleyes: maybe a few HD channels terrestrially also...

#Elites wrote:
    why pay 400€ for Sky HD

BBC HD is free

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭keithkk16

The world cup is being broadcasted in hd on bbc and utv dont know about rte though.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

On a related note.. shows in the states are often now broadcast in HDTV. I assume, technically, that there's a difference in the filming equipment used, etc.

.. What about older shows though? Surely they can't be upgrade to HDTV if the original film was never recorded in that quality anyway? Ditto for movies.

And do non-HD programs look worse on HDTVs than they do on regular CRT?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

SO does the HD cost more? Upgrade in hard ware? How do you go about getting it?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

keithkk16 wrote:
    The world cup is being broadcasted in hd on bbc and utv dont know about rte though.

Yes, but through sky.... They are the only people with the bandwidth atm. The BBC as runninf trials in London at the moment.

John

ixoy wrote:
    On a related note.. shows in the states are often now broadcast in HDTV. I assume, technically, that there's a difference in the filming equipment used, etc.

.. What about older shows though? Surely they can't be upgrade to HDTV if the original film was never recorded in that quality anyway? Ditto for movies.

And do non-HD programs look worse on HDTVs than they do on regular CRT?

You can't up convert. But Standard Definition stuff won't look any worse.

John

keithkk16 wrote:

So does that mean that if you have a hd tv and a standard sky box and you tune to bbc when a match is on it will be in hd? As I said I havent seen it yet but it would have to be something reaaly special to convince me it will take off. Dont get me wrong Im a huge movie and tv buff and love improvements in sound and picture and I will get it myself but for Joe and Jane soap who just watch a bit of tv after work will it really make that much of a difference for them to shell out?

SO does the HD cost more? Upgrade in hard ware? How do you go about getting it?:confused:

You need a hdtv(or hd compatible projector) to view the hd image which you get from a sky hd box which costs a few hundred quid and has a higher subscription charge. You also need a special cable to carry the signal from the box to the tv. I think thats the gist of it but correct me if im wrong. It has caused a fair bit of confusion though with some people buying hd tvs and complaining theres no difference in picture when they get home.:p

• Advertisement
    byte

Babybing wrote:
    So does that mean that if you have a hd tv and a standard sky box and you tune to bbc when a match is on it will be in hd? As I said I havent seen it yet but it would have to be something reaaly special to convince me it will take off. Dont get me wrong Im a huge movie and tv buff and love improvements in sound and picture and I will get it myself but for Joe and Jane soap who just watch a bit of tv after work will it really make that much of a difference for them to shell out?
    No, the digital receiver needs to be able to handle HD transmissions.

Normal Sky digiboxes cannot do this, which is why a HD receiver is needed.

I doubt if ITV or UTV are doing HD trials? I know BBC have one, but didn't see anything about ITV yet.

byte

Babybing wrote:
    You need a hdtv(or hd compatible projector) to view the hd image which you get from a sky hd box which costs a few hundred quid and has a higher subscription charge. You also need a special cable to carry the signal from the box to the tv. I think thats the gist of it but correct me if im wrong. It has caused a fair bit of confusion though with some people buying hd tvs and complaining theres no difference in picture when they get home.:p
    Yes, you've got the gist of it! :)

The cables required may be DVI, Component, or HDMI. The main choice is the HDMI one, which is I guess the HD version of a Scart cable.

Lump wrote:
    Yes, but through sky.... They are the only people with the bandwidth atm.

are Telewest not showing it anymore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Don't touch HD for the moment. the tvs you can get in Dixons etc for HD only meet the minimum standard, 780 lines iirc. In 12-18 months the standard will be twice that.

Mossy Monk wrote:
    are Telewest not showing it anymore?

Sorry, when I say sky, I mean any supplier of cable/satellitte

John

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

nipplenuts wrote:
    Don't touch HD for the moment. the tvs you can get in Dixons etc for HD only meet the minimum standard, 780 lines iirc. In 12-18 months the standard will be twice that.
    TBH, I doubt we are going to see a 1080p standard for quiet a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

my folks have the HD tv and box

amazing quality. imo its only amazing compared to some channels. the quality of my folks television is superb anyway so its slightly harder to notice

Advertisement