Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closure of Estate to prevent Rat Running

Options
  • 05-06-2006 11:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

Does anyone know of any EC directives here. We want to close one entrance of our estste to prevent rat running. We are applying to the local authority and will go through due process under Roads Act 1993 section 73. Does the Ec have any regulations on this and on noise and environmental pllution as a result.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Were residents aware when they bought their units that a through-route existed? Might be quite difficult to get an extinction of the right of way (has the estate been taken in charge?) if they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

i don't think you can close a public road

maybe you could ask to get loads of speedbumps and contra-flow things installed

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It is a public road. Approach your council, both in writing and in person if you can. They are also the only ones who can legally close a road. Writing discourages people doing something silly.
    Find out out who all the councillors are and write to them as well. Get as much publicity for your problem as you can. That way you stand a chance of getting something done. This is a time for cool heads and plans. Blocking things off will turn you into the bad guys.
    And remember we are all rat runners at heart, but we would never do it on our own doorstep.

EDIT : We are currently battling an illegal parking problem but will not be doing anything until we have fully established our legal position. A further comment is in relation to the right of way. There could be challenges there which is our main headache. Good luck.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

how about seting up a security camera to record those doing it.

maybe if you measured the distance between two markers you might get someone speeding - I'd doubt it though.

Is the speed limit still 50Kmph in estates ?

I've seen residents put up 25Kmph signs - do these have ANY legal meaning ??

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I've seen residents put up 25Kmph signs - do these have ANY legal meaning ??

No, based on my conversations with the Gardai over penalty points issues. Only councils can apply to Gardai to have them approved. They are not legally enforceable and would never get to court.

EDIT : With our own parking issue we were told we could "possibly" put a yellow box on the road outside but that it would be subject to Garda approval.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,266 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Write to the Roads department in your council asking them what the procedure is for requesting traffic measures.

Do you want to share the details here?

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Jeanious

in fairness, ya might be wastin your breath. I live on a kinda connecting road between two major roads (i.e. its not an estate) where one end is permanently No-Entry and the other is no entry from 7am-10am. Upto about 2 years ago thered be a guard there on a rare day and he'd nick a few people for shortcuttin, but that was really once a blue moon, and to be honest, if i didnt live here id definitely take the chance, cos goin the "correct" way is a pain in the arse.

Advertisement