Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed checks on M4 toll plaza

Options
  • 05-06-2006 8:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭

I noticed yesterday that there were 3 gardai with cameras on the M4 toll plaza.They were checking speed on drivers approaching tolls and then when they pulled in to pay toll the lane was closed and another gardai appears to write ticket.ALL of the toll booths had a member of staff in and they were basicly switching on and off there lanes as a car was stopped for a ticket.I do realise that speeding is speeding but are toll lanes accident blackspots . And who could work out exactly where the speed limit changes take affect.I my self couldnt remember the speed limit on the final approach to the plaza was it 60 or 50 ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭telecinesk

Thats funny, Ive seen that in Austria near the border with Hungary, where you get "done" for speeding as you approach the control point. Nice tactic, glad to see the Gardai are showing how useful they are and that they have picked up a european custom from their bretheren.

These are the same people who tear down bus lanes in own cars, and when apprehended by one of their "ilk" on a motorbike, shout "job" out the window flashing their ID.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

The technical term for this is "Shooting fish in a barrel".

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The "eazy pass" lanes speed limits are 30kph and 60kph on the approach to it AFAIK .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

andyeire wrote:
    I noticed yesterday that there were 3 gardai with cameras on the M4 toll plaza.They were checking speed on drivers approaching tolls and then when they pulled in to pay toll the lane was closed and another gardai appears to write ticket.ALL of the toll booths had a member of staff in and they were basicly switching on and off there lanes as a car was stopped for a ticket.I do realise that speeding is speeding but are toll lanes accident blackspots . And who could work out exactly where the speed limit changes take affect.I my self couldnt remember the speed limit on the final approach to the plaza was it 60 or 50 ?

it goes to 80 and then to 50 - didn't notice them myself yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,266 ✭✭✭✭Victor

So theres a series of solid objects ahead and people still can't slow down?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

I don't suppose they pulled in all of the L drivers, who are not allowed on motorways.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,895 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Nah, I was grand when I went through :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

andyeire wrote:
    I noticed yesterday that there were 3 gardai with cameras on the M4 toll plaza.

Hang on a minute. Isn't the road some 200-300 meters either direction of the toll booths private property and owned by NTR?

The Guards can't prosecute you for Road Traffic Act Offences on a private road.

I only say this because there was a debate last year about the government building extra slip roads to a free M50 bypass and the upshot was they couldn't as that section of the road was owned and maintained by NTR.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,266 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Hang on a minute. Isn't the road some 200-300 meters either direction of the toll booths private property and owned by NTR?
    Nothing to do with NTR. The state owns the land and Eurolink run the motorway.
    The Guards can't prosecute you for Road Traffic Act Offences on a private road.
    Not a private road.
    I only say this because there was a debate last year about the government building extra slip roads to a free M50 bypass and the upshot was they couldn't as that section of the road was owned and maintained by NTR.
    Extra slip roads from where to where? And by "owned", I suspect they meant "have rights to".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

the talk was of building another bridge beside the toll bridge but make it free, however NTR have the rights to toll the section of motorway from the n4 junction to the n3 junction, making that idea impossible

• Advertisement
Advertisement