Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things to do in New York

Options
  • 04-06-2006 9:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭

Things that are a must do for a weekend in New York .. Manhattan to be more precise ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Go to the salsa bars in Grenwich Village :D

You wont go anywhere else and stay out of Irish bars they holes with expensive beer :)

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

well firstly the shopping is amazing (i'm a bloke and dont like shopping but i have to admit the shopping was great)
    central park is nice to chill out for a while if its a nice day and you dont wanna spend any cash.
    The subway i think is just amazing and if you had an interest in it there is a good transport museum in grand central station.
    The best bars/cafes and nitelife i thinks is in greenwich village and soho area very cool and trendy kinda places
    I dunno if you watch any of the big telly programmes but there is a sex in the city tour you can go on and a Sopranos tour you can go on aswell (actually thats in jersey though bout an hour away).
    Ground Zero is an experience that shouldnt be missed also with century 21 just across the street ( the best department store in new york).

Ps if you are going to see the statue of liberty dont bother paying for one of those expensive boat tours...get the staten island ferry it is free and gives you a great view aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Great feedback - keep it coming :)

oh i forgot to say every thing is cheaper over i mean everything clothes, toiletries, suncream everything so bring at least one empty suitcase and dont stock up on anthing before you go

oh i wish was back there....really is the best city in the world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

The City is actually fairly expensive , if you go outside it stuff is a lot cheaper.
    Just a pain when you only have a weekend, still cheap.

Bought a pair of R9s in Nike shop in meadow/valley/(**** whats the name of it, and i lived there never remember the name of the place) for €34 €200 over here.

Still cheap in the city but even cheaper outside it. if your shopping bring a big empty suitcase you will fill it :)

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

well of course the usual tourist sights obviously: Ground Zero, Statue of Liberty, Empire State Bldng

Central Park has diff stuff to do: walking, sitting (obviously). When I was there in March there was an ice rink but that's finished now. They organise different events there throughout the year such as music events, amusements, etc. See http://www.centralparknyc.org/activities/specialevents?o5103177=

Shopping!! That's a must-do. My favourite was Macy's. The largest department store in the world I think and it has about 8 or 9 floors. I bought so much clothes there but there's lots of other stuff to buy too. Prices aren't bad and you get a 10% discount for being a tourist.
    Century 21 was good for designer stuff at cheap prices, but be sure to get there early in the morning and on a weekday - trust me you don't want to be there on a Saturday afternoon!!

Personally I absolutely adore the theatre so Broadway was a must-do for me. There are so many different shows that there's something to suit everyone. And there's always off-Broadway shows which can be just as good but a bit cheaper

There are good restaurants everywhere of every variety. Also lots of bars, cinemas

I went to Chinatown and Little Italy but didn't find them to have much of interest. Chinatown is good if you like streetfulls of small shops selling cheap watches, jewellery, scarves, etc, and Little Italy was basically just lots of Italian Restaurants, which you can find anywhere anyway. I'd skip Little Italy if I were you but I suppose it's nice to experience it - up to you!!

Hope this helps!!

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭babaduck

I can vouch for each & every one of my tips :D

* If you like cosmetics, Sephora in Times Square is just heavenly (had to be dragged out of it by the husband... a regular occurrence!!). Otherwise, check out Bath & Body Works

* A twilight cruise with Circle Line around Manhattan - www.circleline42.com

* A lovely long walk through Manhattan with a free guide - www.bigapplegreeter.org

* Window shopping at Tiffanys & then a visit to the Diamond District on 47th Street for more affordable bling

* A helicopter trip over Manhattan - www.libertyhelicopters.com

* The Empire State Building in the evening when all the crowds have buggered off

* Cheap theatre tix from www.tkts.com - the booth at South Street Seaport is far less crowded than the one at Times Square (which is now temporarily at the Marriott Marquis Hotel)

* A drink at The View bar on top of the Marriott Marquis in Times Square (will cost you about $8-10 per drink... but so gorgeous)

* Eating... The Roxy Deli on Times Square, the Heartland Brewery (a few locations) and dinner at Les Halles on Park Ave (owned by Anthony Bourdain of Kitchen Confidential fame) - a very buzzy French bistro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 helsbels

Rather than go up the Empire State building with it's massive queues go up to the Top of the Rock which is the observation deck on the 70th floor of the Rockerfeller Centre at West 50th Street between 5th and 6th Avenue. You get a timed ticket which you can buy online before you go or get once in New York so there are no queues. The other great thing is you actually get a fantastic view which includes the Empire State Building right in the middle as well as Central Park etc on the other side of the building.

For shopping try Woodbury Common which is actually in New Jersey about an hour away from Manhattan, you get a bus from the Port Authority at 42nd Street. This outlet has 260 shops with all the big names there. I got bags and bags of stuff and I usually hate shopping but the bargins were too good to miss.

helsbels wrote:

For shopping try Woodbury Common which is actually in New Jersey about an hour away from Manhattan, you get a bus from the Port Authority at 42nd Street. This outlet has 260 shops with all the big names there. I got bags and bags of stuff and I usually hate shopping but the bargins were too good to miss.

I second woodbury commons its amazing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

Go see Ellis Island. The U.S.S. Intrepid Aerospace Museum is also excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Jersey Gardens instead of Woodbury Common, it's better, bigger, less expensive and quicker to get too. About 30 minutes on the bus from Port Authority, costs less than 10USD to get there. Woodbury common is about 40USD.

After you get a sore neck looking up at the skyscrapers, one thing I like to do is to watch people/cars/firetrucks/police cars moving about at a crazy pace, especially during busy times. The street noise is amazing and its one of the first things you'll miss when you leave.

Shopping for electronics is best from a high street store such as CompUSA or BestBuy J&R etc, avoid those discount stores in Times Square, you'll just get hassled into buying something you don't want/need.

Bring a good camera, good walking shoes, and very little clothes, as others have said clothes are much less expensive in NY, Macy's and Century 21 are great as well as Jersey Gardens. Shoes in particular if you like the Timberland boots, Nike's etc. Great bargins to be found.

When you go into Macy's, head straight to the information office and bring your passport, you get a store card giving you an additional 11% off most things (cosmetics excluded), this is on top of sale prices!!

Good resturaunts are Carmines (Itialian) and Ruby Foos (Chinese) both are just off Times Square, and are inexpensive and really great places to see and eat in. Especially Carmines, but be careful the portions are huge! There's a Starbucks within a stones throw of where-ever you are, and tons of Pizza slice places. I liked Little Italy but disliked Chinatown. Chinatown just feels a little unsafe to me and as tourist you might stick out like a target. Strange thing to see though, so that alone might be interesting, the entrance to both Little Italy and Chinatown are on the same street and within walking distance of each other.

I have'nt spent any time in Soho or Greenwich village so can't comment on those places, the helicopter trip is nice but too short and you may be sitting with up to 6 other people so your view might be obstructed.

As already mentioned, the Staten Island ferry is free and offers a lovely view of Manhattan Skyline.

Give Taxi Drivers grid street references, and tell them which side you want to get out of, this could mean going around the block for them etc. Don't forget to tip!

Wall Street and the Stock Exchange are also cool places to see, you'll find that no matter how much time you spend there's always more to see.

enjoy.
    cheerio
    Howard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Prices aren't bad and you get a 10% discount for being a tourist.

Really? How do you get that? Do you just walk in ans day you're a tourist?! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Keep it coming :)

Advertisement