Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cindy

Options
  • 04-06-2006 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭

Maybe i've missed something but I was watching Lost on E4 an something she said struck me...

She said on the beach when the were discussing why the rescue planes weren't comming that the pilot said that they was aproblem with communications an that they had turned around and were flying for two hours in the wrong direction. How does she know that when jack and the others only found out when they went lookin for the cabin/pilot.

Have I missed something completely I mean how did she know or was i not paying attention when the pilot was first aired

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Smurfpiss

wasn't she an air hostess? so would have been informed by the pilot...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

she was an air hostess on the plane, a pretty useless one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

She was an air hostess so therefore I presume that the pilot told them what was happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

3 posts almost identical within 2mins!
    :cool: Cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

thanks that clears up that lost mystery for me

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

That brings to mind another thing I'd been thinking of recently (not worth creating a new thread for, and it's sort of related to the original question).

Was the issue of the Black Box ever raised? Surely, when the plane went missing, the authorities would be able to find the Black Box and therefore find the survivors. Maybe there was an explanation to cover that, but I can't remember it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

quickbeam wrote:
    That brings to mind another thing I'd been thinking of recently (not worth creating a new thread for, and it's sort of related to the original question).

Was the issue of the Black Box ever raised? Surely, when the plane went missing, the authorities would be able to find the Black Box and therefore find the survivors. Maybe there was an explanation to cover that, but I can't remember it.
    stumbled across this before, not sure does it answer your question...but its a laugh !!

The Truth About Flight 815
    by Carson Beckworth
    UFO Watchers Weekly
    Febuary 13, 2005

Those of us who are clued into the presence of extra-terrestrials here on earth often have to deal with scorn and disbelief from those un-believers. However, when incidents like the disappearance of Flight 815 occur, we have to wonder why those un-believers chose to be blind to the obvious facts.

Fact - Flight 815 disappeared completely off the radar. With the numerous 'black ops' spy satellites that are hovering over the earth, an object disappearing completely is almost unheard of. How is it that UFO's seem to evade these satellites, you ask? Well, as you should know, all alien aircrafts are equipped with stealth technology that make our Stealth Bomber look like a flying toaster. However, the question you really need to be asking is whether you really believe that the government doesn't know about our other worldly visitors.

Fact - The signal from Flight 815's black box stopped transmitting. The so-called 'black box' was designed to be able to transmit from anywhere 'on earth'. The only way the signal could be stopped is if it was out of range, i.e. off this earth.

Fact * Exploration into the backgrounds of several of the passengers turned up several who had no history. No driver's licenses, no social security numbers. They were essentially people who 'do not exist.' You might say that they had lied about their names or were traveling on false documents, however, it is well known that these people are most often government spooks traveling secretly throughout the world.

Many of these facts could be misconstrued by un-believers, but the loyal readers of this fine magazine know the truth and our voices are growing louder every day. The Truth Will Not Be Ignored!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'm no aviator, but wouldn't they have to know where the plane was to find the black box? The plane, or the remanents of it, must be "hidden" by the Island too.

I thought that Black Boxes had some sort of tracking device. Maybe I'm wrong. Or maybe they're only short-wave or something.

But it seems like the show hasn't actually dealt with the question of the Black Box then ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭jhegarty

quickbeam wrote:
    I thought that Black Boxes had some sort of tracking device. Maybe I'm wrong. Or maybe they're only short-wave or something.

But it seems like the show hasn't actually dealt with the question of the Black Box then ?

it does but its only shortrange... i.e. to locate it after you found the crash site...

thats bull about it been trackable all over the earth...

• Advertisement

Okay, thanks. That question was niggling at me. If it's not trackable then that explains a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭loon

.. but what about the transponder???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

This is a bit confusing, but this might shed a little light on the subject.

http://www.ntsb.gov/aviation/cvr_fdr.htm

Cockpit Voice Recorders (CVR) and Flight Data Recorders (FDR)

Large commercial aircraft and some smaller commercial, corporate, and private aircraft are required by the FAA to be equipped with two "black boxes" that record information about a flight. Both recorders are installed to help reconstruct the events leading to an aircraft accident. One of these, the Cockpit Voice Recorder (CVR), records radio transmissions and sounds in the cockpit, such as the pilot's voices and engine noises. The other, the Flight Data Recorder (FDR), monitors parameters such as altitude, airspeed and heading. The older analog units use one-quarter inch magnetic tape as a storage medium and the newer ones use digital technology and memory chips. Both recorders are installed in the most crash survivable part of the aircraft, usually the tail section.

Each recorder is equipped with an Underwater Locator Beacon (ULB) to assist in locating in the event of an overwater accident. The device called a "pinger", is activated when the recorder is immersed in water. It transmits an acoustical signal on 37.5 KHz that can be detected with a special receiver. The beacon can transmit from depths down to 14,000 feet.

Following an accident, both recorders are immediately removed from the accident site and transported to NTSB headquarters in Washington D.C. for processing. Using sophisticated computer and audio equipment, the information stored on the recorders is extracted and translated into an understandable format. The Investigator-in-Charge uses this information as one of many tools to help the Safety Board determine the Probable Cause of the accident.

"Each recorder is equipped with an Underwater Locator Beacon (ULB) to assist in locating in the event of an overwater accident. The device called a "pinger", is activated when the recorder is immersed in water."

So it's likely that neither box ended up submersed underwater so that's why no one is looking for them on the island. If they could find one of these boxes somehow, they could submerse it themselves and see if it will send out the ULB signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

I guess the shield is blocking the signals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I don't think they've taken curvature of the earth into it. radiowaves / soundwaves / lightwaves all travel in straight lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Smurfpiss

no they don't. It's called relativity.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

gravity bends light :)

and didn't Jack go after the transpionder in the pilot but i was broken or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭loon

the transponder is the satellite tracking thingy.. so even if it broke on impact.. tptb would have known where they crashed even if they were off course..

Advertisement