Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why does Bus Éireann route 002 go through Ashford?

Options
  • 04-06-2006 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭

why does the bus eireann route 2 Busaras to Rosslare go through Ashford, it adds 10 mins onto the journey, is rarely used, alot of the times the drivers bypass it and Ashford - Dublin is served by the Wicklow Bus anyway.

Is it becuase the route hasn't been modified since the Rathnew/Ashford Bypass opened?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭craigybagel

Its so Wicklow people can travel from the south and be picked up safely and relatively conveniently.The only other stop near Wicklow town is by the Beehive and thats a dangerous place to cross the road or to be picked up. And the last time i bought a ticket to Ashford on the Rosslare bus the drivers reaction was "theres always one!".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭zap

i use the bus everyday twice a day at different times and i'd say only 1 in every 2 buses goes through even though all are supposed to and its never even used.

But do you always travel at the same times?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭zap

no very different times, i use this route a heck of a lot often over 10 return journeys in a week

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

zap wrote:
    i use the bus everyday twice a day at different times and i'd say only 1 in every 2 buses goes through even though all are supposed to and its never even used.

In which direction? It is a set-down only stop northbound so if there is nobody on for Ashford there is no need to go through there.

The main reason the stop is still listed is because of the difficulty BE have in getting timetable changes approved from the DoT.

The Dundalk/Drogheda route changes that were made this week had been sent in for approval over two years ago.

There is an ever increasing number of bypassed towns that BE express services still serve despite them having a very low usage rate.

• Advertisement

It may not be that there are many people using it but there are some and delay is not 10 mins as previously stated on this board while i only use the 002 ocasionally i use the 133 frequently and even that bus doesnt take so long serving ashford. Its no more than a 2 minute delay if the bus doesnt pick up anyone in ashford (as seems to be the complaint here), and if it takes longer its only so people can get on or off therefore its a worthwhile detour. It makes very little difference to the overall journey time but it can potentially affect a lot of people.

Advertisement