Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Future Storm

Options
  • 03-06-2006 2:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭

I clasp the girls greasy hair in my hand and jerk it roughly back so I can look straight into her eyes.

"Where is the source." I ask calmly.

She is barely conscious and I know I will get nothing from her. Yet she still smiles. This, I do not understand. But I must carry out my orders. I must do what I was put here to do.

"Where is the source?" I ask again, increasing my grip. There is no reply, verbal or otherwise. I single handedly haul her to her feet and turn to Jenna. She glances towards the window.

Outside, over the crackling of the burning landscape, there are sporadic metallic bursts as our patrols mop up the last of the enemy resistance.

"Give me your weapon." I say, reaching towards her expectantly with my free arm. She smiles and removes her pistol from her holster, spinning it in her hand and placing it firmly in my outstretched palm.

I do not hesitate before bringing the pistol to bear and blowing out the prisoners kneecap with a single blast. The pain must be excruicating, her screams alone in the aftermath of the deafening blast dicatate that, but it is a pain I am not familar with.

She crashes to the ground as I release my grip on her, writhing in agony, crimson gore spewing from the gaping wound that has almost taken her leg off at the knee,

"Where. Is. The source." I say again as I lean closer, placing sharp emphasis on each individual word. I don't think she can hear me over the sound of her own horrific wails. It is not that am I running out of patience; thats another thing I am not familar with. I am running out of time.

There is a deafening explosion from outside the building that rattles the windows, momentarily lighting up the room in a brilliant flash of white light that slowly fades, draining the room of its sudden colour.

Jenna steps over and plants a heavily armoured foot on the prisoners thigh, locking her into a semi flat position. Without a single word she uses her other foot to savagely land a kick on the shattered kneecap. It only takes her two attempts to completely severe what remains of the leg from the kneecap.

She scowls viciously as she notices the prisoner is already dead before she can inflict further damage. "We won' be able to find the source of the infection. It's too late." she says dully.

"Won the battle. Loose the war." I say slowly, processing what I have just said. "That's something one of the captured soldiers told me."

"Yes." she says simply, tapping the transmitter strung loosely on her chest. A thin wound runs across the side of her face, its edges crusty with dried blood and gristle. From beneath is the faint shine of tainted metal.

The steel door to the bunker opens with a dull screech and a battle trooper lumbers into the room. The blades on his left arm are streaked with blood and lumpy matter and light tendrils of smokes drift gently from the dual carbines on his other. Several deep shell holes and blast marks pepper the reinforced metal of his upper torso.

"Human forces have been routed. We have inflicted heavy casulties commander."

I look at Jenna for a response. Casulties are irrelevant; for every one that falls, there are two to march forward and fill the void.

"We have broken their backbone." she says finally. "The American military will not be able to launch another great offensive again."

The sounds of battle have long faded. The last few human soldiers have fled, leaving dozens of thousands of dead behind.

Yet they have won in the long term. The infection has been set in motion.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Interesting piece. Like dark, foreboding, and not something I would want to read while eating dinner. Obviously, there's more? If not, you should expand upon it. Has potential.

Oh, just a suggestion. I would avoid being cliche'. "Won the battle. Loses the war."

Expand it. Share.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

Quite a good piece, I really like your writing style and sometimes its ok to be clichéd, if it suits the story then go with it. Its when people force it, that it physically hurts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 rocketbabydoll

ever read the da vinci code?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭shiv

Bit too gorey for me. Even so, you need to balance it with something else. I felt you were very distanced from the story, not as up close and in it as the last one...But I could be way off base...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

ever read the da vinci code?

Ehhhh.....no. :confused:

Thanks for the feedback. I am not really happy with this on re-reading it, I wrote it very late at night and I was tired. I will rework it when I get the chance and perhaps repost it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement