Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop smashed off ground!

Options
  • 01-06-2006 5:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭

Hi My laptop smashed badly off the ground this morning, everything seems to be ok, except for the dvd drive, which just ins't working, it is definitely getting power, and can eject and make whirring noises when I put in a cd.
    When I don't mute the cd player volume it constantly makes a crackling noise.
    The dvd drive does not appear in my computer.
    When I check my hardware profile, there is not a yellow warning sign beside it but it is listed as usual,
    When I try to update driver, the laptop crashes, when I push the dvd drive physicaly the light comes on again and teh laptop crashes,
    <edit> and obviousely no cd/dvd will autorun.
    any ideas?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

If you have the stomach for it, open it up and check has the flat ribbon cable become dislodged. It's only a push fit so it can happen. Look closely at the fitting it goes into there is probably a small release on either side that will move with a fingernail. Also check the sound card connector as well for the same reasons. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Hi just wanted to warn you if you start gettin bsod's the mobo is fecked! Had this happen to a customer awhile back and after wreckin my head tryin to figure it out i realised it was the motherboard that needed replacing.

If the power supply starts actin funky and/or bsod probs look to the motherboard otherwise i agree check the ribbon isnt loose

HTH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭Sandals

sorry what are bsod's?

thanks Hagar, will try that, but have no screwdriver on me and will see if anyone has anymore ideas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Something obviously came loose, hopefully thats all that happened and you had some luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

BSOD Blue screen of death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

if it had a bad fall den its possible the tip of the laser has moved and this would stop the drive from reading discs or it would mess up the reading of discs!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

many laptops have removable drive bays - please mention the model those of us who might be telepathic have far more interesting thoughts.

if the drive bay is removable there is usually a catch or maybe ONE screw holding it in. remove it. lok for damage. then pop back in till it clicks or whatever it dows - RTFM etc.

if you know some one with the same model you could swap the drive and that will tell you if m/b or drive problem. if the drive then get a usb one or eBay or whatever.

opening a laptop is a last resourt, and only if you are comptent. you may have to remove up to 50 (I counted ) screws of different lengths and several plastic bits (digital camera is essential) just to see inside. And one mistake will kill your laptop.

how old is it - most warranties don't cover accidental damage

thanks cptain, you definitely put me off opening it,
    Its a Gericom 1st Supersonic pcIe,
    It was on sale in Aldi last June,
    I will get you a link later, have to get ready for a exam now,
    I have a feelin it is not removable, it is like the cd player in a car where there is no disc tray you insert the disc directly into laprop.
    Thanks for help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

A trip to Aldi is in order so as the majority of their stuff has 12 months warrenty from them and another 24 months from the manufacturer. Emm just don't mention the fall.. ahem Cough etc... ;)

I din't actualley buy it in Aldi though,
    I bought it direct from gericom.de,
    the only problem is my reciept e-mail which I presume was also my gaurantee got sent to my o2 e-mail address, which when I switched from o2 to meteor they blocked my acces to, o returning it is not a problem, unless there is someway to retrieve these e-mails.

• Advertisement

Sandals wrote:
    I din't actualley buy it in Aldi though,
    I bought it direct from gericom.de,
    the only problem is my reciept e-mail which I presume was also my gaurantee got sent to my o2 e-mail address, which when I switched from o2 to meteor they blocked my acces to, o returning it is not a problem, unless there is someway to retrieve these e-mails.

OK that makes it a bit more complicated... Have you tried to call O2 customers care and get them to allow you access to your mail? How long ago did you switch? Never heard of people being locked out coz they no longer use an certain mobile operator.

Another route is to contact Gericom.de directly stating the Model and serial number of your machine and they should be able to find the Invoice on their system if its worth its salt.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Call gericom support, they will also have records of your purchase. I'm pretty sure it's based in limerick at a place I used to work. They also have a repair facility there. Much better to pay the diagostic / repair fee then fecking it up completely. :)

Customer support line Gericom:

Ireland 008000 43 74 266

I just emailed o2 but it was a year ago that i ported to meteor, so am not thinking I will have too much look, I will then go to gericom as a last resort.

Customer support line Gericom:

Ireland 008000 43 74 266

Oh great thanks, and thanks too Mark r,
    I will ring them now.

Its more likely that your mail account has lain idle for so long it has been deactivated, happens.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

And one mistake will kill your laptop.

LOL. I know you got to be carefull. But that sounds so serious. I've opened a fair few in the last two years. Made mistakes alright. but only ever killed 1 mobo. And that was because of my own stupidity.

Advertisement