Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Say goodbye to Toyota's MR2 - But theres Limited editions available

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,161 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

kluivert wrote:
    http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=14051

300 in production to custom made for customers with each production run number stiched into the seats, 123, 007 would be nice alright

The Celica has been discontinued earlier this year also. Don't think there were any limited editions of it sold in Ireland however. I think they did have a "limited edition" run out model in the UK though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Have the celica and mr2 been replaced with something newer or are they just gone now?

Stephen wrote:
    Have the celica and mr2 been replaced with something newer or are they just gone now?

Both are gone afaik according to Toyota. They are developing a replacement for the Supra alright, not sure when this is going to be launched. It is supposed to be developed in conjunction with their F1 team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

The Celcia Mk2 and Mr2 Mk2 where very nice cars to look at and still are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Pity.

IMO the best affordable roadster around.
    Ah well 2nd hands prices are bound to be affected so it makes them more affordable for me in a year or 2. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Is the chairman of Toyota GB the lawyer out of the Ususal Suspects?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,412 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Toyota are said to be axeing their sports cars to reduce the brands emissions,
    They haven't forgotten about sports cars though, They are set to launch a coupe and folding metal roof version of the Lexus IS250

jank wrote:
    Pity.

IMO the best affordable roadster around.
    Ah well 2nd hands prices are bound to be affected so it makes them more affordable for me in a year or 2. :)

Maybe the opposite as demand over time for a last model type Celica or MR2 may rise as they become more and more rare on the road.

I love the looks of the last Celica even though it is 7 years old now, not really gone on the MR2 roadster, prefered the mid engined models before it. A guy I know at work recently sold his 16 year old MR2 for €4k.

colm_mcm wrote:
    Toyota are said to be axeing their sports cars to reduce the brands emissions

I think it is EU emission regulations that are putting an end to the 140bhp and 190bhp engines in the Celica and MR2. The limited run supercharged 225bhp 1.8 litre in the current Corolla T Sport will die with that model early next year too afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,063 ✭✭✭✭unkel

colm_mcm wrote:
    Toyota are said to be axeing their sports cars to reduce the brands emissions
    bazz26 wrote:
    I think it is EU emission regulations that are putting an end to the 140bhp and 190bhp engines in the Celica and MR2

That is sad news :(

The brilliant move back in the 80s of Mazda to lauch the great wee MX-5 after a generation of nought happening in this segment is one of the best ever marketing tactics I have seen

Dropping the Toyota sports cars is a bit surprising. We all know Japanese companies generally never invented anything, but were double quick to copycat western (EU or USA) inventions and improve on the production process

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

unkel wrote:

We all know Japanese companies generally never invented anything, but were double quick to copycat western (EU or USA) inventions and improve on the production process

Wrong - they invented something huge - a more reliable European car. If the Japs never came along we'd all be breaking down a whole lot more!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭alias no.9

unkel wrote:
    We all know Japanese companies generally never invented anything

Well that's just plain rubbish. Everybody knows that the second generation Nissan Almera pioneered the Curry Hook in the passenger footwell, while european brands such as land rover and volvo copied the idea.

DukeDredd wrote:
    Wrong - they invented something huge - a more reliable European car

As I said, that's not an invention, but an improvement!
    alias no.9 wrote:
    Well that's just plain rubbish. Everybody knows that the second generation Nissan Almera pioneered the Curry Hook in the passenger footwell, while european brands such as land rover and volvo copied the idea.

LOL :D

alias no.9 wrote:

Actually it is true. The current Almera is built in the North East of England, Sunderland to be exact. Well there are more curry houses and curry dishes consumed up in the North East than any other part of the UK so they thought that a hook for carrying your curry take-away was a good idea.

Makes me want to go out and buy one...

A curry that is.

bazz26 wrote:
    Makes me want to go out and buy one...

A curry that is.

LOL, have we all got that giddy Friday-before-a-bank-holiday feeling? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Goodbye Mister 2!

unkel wrote:
    LOL, have we all got that giddy Friday-before-a-bank-holiday feeling? :D

Most definately...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

Wow, if it's true about Toyotas only doing Yarises, Corollas and Avensises from now on then it really sounds like the beginning of the end for fun motoring. I remember back in the early 90's when catalytic converters were coming in, the other route to cut emissions was lean burn and manufacturers were going to be given a few years to develop this because it would have given better economy as well as less harmful emissions than with a cat, but then at the last minute the EU took away the grace period (apparently due to public pressure) and cats were made mandatory ahead of schedule. I remember the Carina "Lean Burn" at the time but it wasn't a car that interested me as such so never looked into it, but maybe this is Toyota looking to comply with upcoming legislation early.

I remember also there was a lot of talk about CAFE regulations (forget what it stands for but it was new strict emissions laws to come into effect in the US - maybe it was shelved?) which said that there was to be an average mpg for cars across a manufacturer's range exceeding 30mpg. Some US companies were making their less efficient engines in Canada and then importing them which was a loophole that allowed them to get around it, but the Japanese just said "tell us the criteria and we will meet them".

Now I read in July's Car magazine that there is a UN commission on motor noise pollution and they want to clamp down on things like butterfly valves being used in exhausts to allow cars to pass the specific noise drive by tests that are already in place. This could mean an end to the sounds of Aston Martins and Ferraris, let alone the emissions :eek: :(

IrishRover wrote:
    at the last minute the EU took away the grace period (apparently due to public pressure) and cats were made mandatory ahead of schedule

Rightly so after many years of EU procrastination. Wasn't the 1993 EU emissions standard about the same as the 1979 California one? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

i cant wait to see what they do with the supra . its going to be ace and the is250 should be good also

• Advertisement
Advertisement