Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold sores

Options
  • 01-06-2006 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭

I suffer with cold sores regularly, unusually in winter. I take b12 and that clears it up or I use zorvirex. Recently I've seen an ad for what looks like a small plaster for use on cold sores but I can't think of the name of it?

Anyone have any idea what it might be.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭shell022

yeah i saw the add for that too. it loks good. i suffer from cold sores and now with the summer coming in hey should come of use to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

shell022 wrote:
    yeah i saw the add for that too. it loks good. i suffer from cold sores and now with the summer coming in hey should come of use to me.

Do you remember the name of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Small bit of advice for cold-sores, honestly don't know if it's true but it's kind of worked for me - increase your folic acid intake.
    Heard a few years ago (again not 100% on the basis for this), that regular cold-sores can be put down to a folic acid deficiency. For this I started taking folic acid tablets daily (I know, I know... it's for pregnant women), and this greatly reduced them.

Then again, if your immune system is low, you can't really prevent them, so eating well, not smoking, taking regular exercise, not binge drinking too much... these all would help....

joker77 wrote:
    Small bit of advice for cold-sores, honestly don't know if it's true but it's kind of worked for me - increase your folic acid intake.
    Heard a few years ago (again not 100% on the basis for this), that regular cold-sores can be put down to a folic acid deficiency. For this I started taking folic acid tablets daily (I know, I know... it's for pregnant women), and this greatly reduced them.

Then again, if your immune system is low, you can't really prevent them, so eating well, not smoking, taking regular exercise, not binge drinking too much... these all would help....

:D I don't smoke or drink, I eat well(enough) and exercise and I still get them when the weather turns cold. I also take folic acid tablets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

GDM wrote:
    :D I don't smoke or drink, I eat well(enough) and exercise and I still get them when the weather turns cold. I also take folic acid tablets.
    That shut me up so!

• Advertisement

B12 is also useful in prevention, though it's very slow acting to use as a treatmemt.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭shell022

I usually only ever get cold sores if i'm run down. also i always get them wheni'm in the sun, bit of a pain for a sun hol i always got them so i started using a lip balm that was also a sun protecter thing(nivea i think) and it worked a treat.

Advertisement