Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Well done RTE scheduling dept...

Options
  • 01-06-2006 10:27am

...last night they put 2 films on RTE 2. They had a choice between the award winning 'Ride With the Devil', and the Razzie winning 'On Deadly Ground', and two time slots, one at about 9pm and the other at about 2am. So they sat down and decided to go with the Seagal flick in the earlier slot. I'd like to say well done, without such foresight we'd be stuck watching a fine effort from Ang Lee and missing out on Seagal's Razzie 'winning' direction and of course the legendary 'The Earth is our Grandma' moment at the end. Unfortunately they cut the closing credits before the infamous theme song 'Under the Same Sun' came on.

Well done RTE, sweeping all good taste awards yet again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Well it seems *someone* can't take a joke.

SyxPak wrote:
    Well it seems *someone* can't take a joke.

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

I was up late last Friday night and happened to catch the season 4 finale of Smallville on RTE2.. There was 2 episodes of it on(seaon 4 finale being the first one).. but guess what.. the second episode was episode 2 or 3 of Season 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭Scootay

Why do the announcers insist on giving a quick synopsis of the episode they are about to show? Is it not enough to just say "Ardal O'Hanlon visits Italy in Leagues apart later but first the Sopranos" instead of "Now on the Sopranos Tony finds out about Christopher's affair with Carmella." They never say "And now the nine o'clock news with an item on the government and the child rape issue".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Dermington

Scootay wrote:
    They never say "And now the nine o'clock news with an item on the government and the child rape issue".

yes they do

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Another example of the contempt of media drones for the consumers...

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Great films are always on at ridiculous hours during the week. It's infuriating. Anyone know why? Presumably it's something to do with advertising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Telefís

Dermington wrote:
    yes they do

Eh, no they don't.
    The newsreader's name is the only information given, and has been a broadcasting standard for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

The clever people who watch unusual films know how to programme their vcrs?

(or at least did back in the day of vcrs - rté is always behind)

Now just a second - NOBODY knows how to set the timer on their VCR! You either a) press record before you go to bed or b) the more painful option - set your alarm five minutes before the film starts, drag yourself out of bed, press record and go back to sleep.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

what i want to know is this, where was csi miami on newtork two last night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

not showing anymore, being used as filler, oh, and it's gone back a season too (repeats).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

nah, just checked for next week on sky+ and its on, double bill new ones as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Scootay wrote:
    Now on the Sopranos Tony finds out about Christopher's affair with Carmella
    Aaaargh, spoiler alert! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Dudess wrote:
    You either a) press record before you go to bed or b) the more painful option - set your alarm five minutes before the film starts, drag yourself out of bed, press record and go back to sleep.;)

or just set it to record thus meaning neither of your options have to be carried out :)

technology FTW

Dudess wrote:
    set your alarm five minutes before the film starts

That's all well and good if I could figure out how to set the alarm...

Mossy Monk wrote:
    or just set it to record thus meaning neither of your options have to be carried out :)

Are you claiming you can set the timer on the VCR? That's like saying you can tell the difference between butter and I Can't Believe It's Not Butter!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Dudess wrote:
    Great films are always on at ridiculous hours during the week. It's infuriating. Anyone know why?

night shift workers and the like. I remember coming in from a nightclub on a wednesday night and i got home at about 4 and my cousin viny was just starting! The joy!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

tabatha wrote:
    nah, just checked for next week on sky+ and its on, double bill new ones as well!
    yes true, i saw that myself today, seems like they just aren't commited to showing it properly, doiuble episodes some weeks and none then for a while before double episodes again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

night shift workers and the like. I remember coming in from a nightclub on a wednesday night and i got home at about 4 and my cousin viny was just starting! The joy!:)
    I work in a rival TV station and RTE2's late night movies make my night shifts an absolute joy. I've seen some gold that i'd never have watched otherwise in the 2am slot. Gotta love those Men Behaving Badly and Black Books fillers too.

9pm is the perfect time slot for On Deadly Ground. RTE knew the type of film they were showing, did you see the advertising campaign they ran for it? Similarly with Predator (obviously a better film), they're showing these films at times when lads with cans will might actually sit down and watch them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Don't get me started with RTEs scheduling dept my pet hate:mad: They put 2 hours of nature programmes on prime time twice a week WHY?? who watches 2 different nature programmes in a row, I like the odd one myself but i find it ridiculous. Theyre only starting Prision Break now and have totally dropped the ball on 24.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Lads, just learn how to use Sky + !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

...missing out on Seagal's Razzie 'winning' direction and of course the legendary 'The Earth is our Grandma' moment at the end. Unfortunately they cut the closing credits before the infamous theme song 'Under the Same Sun' came on.

How dare you! In the future, "On Deadly Ground" will be idolised as the pinnacle of film-making.

Read and learn:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110725/quotes

Who is this Ang Lee person you were on about anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

fly_agaric wrote:
    How dare you! In the future, "On Deadly Ground" will be idolised as the pinnacle of film-making.

Read and learn:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110725/quotes

Who is this Ang Lee person you were on about anyway?

It will not be as good as this http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0291537/ :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

How do they keep coming up with these fresh concepts for the UnderSiege series?

Advertisement