Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[PR] Cullen Turns Sod On N6 Road Project

Options
  • 31-05-2006 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,266 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.transport.ie/viewitem.asp?id=7603&lang=ENG&loc=1887
    CULLEN TURNS SOD ON N6 ROAD PROJECT
    31 May 2006

Transport Minister, Martin Cullen, T.D., today (Wednesday, 31st May 2006) turned the sod on yet another Transport 21 road project in the West. The N6 Kilbeggan to Athlone project, will stretch some 29kms and will continue on from the Kinnegad to Kilbeggan phase, which between them will provide a total of almost 57kms quality national road. Work is due to commence immediately on the new phase and is estimated to be completed in Summer 2008.

The route is also the key east-west axis providing the major inter-urban route from Galway to Dublin and it is a vital step in the improvement of road infrastructure serving the west of Ireland and areas of the BMW region.

At the sod turning, Minister Cullen said: "The N6 Kilbeggan to Athlone road project forms part of the East/West Strategic Road Corridor. It is a further development in delivering Transport 21 that connects the regions and promotes prosperity in communities. It will provide a bypass for Kilbeggan, Moate and Horseleap, giving these towns back to their people. At the moment this section of the N6 has traffic volumes in the region of 13,000 every day, of which 1,500 are HGVs while Moate can experience three-mile tailbacks on Friday evenings. In addition, it will reduce journey times by up to 30 minutes at peak times. In this competitive environment time savings generate an economic advantage and these savings are translated, ultimately, into jobs."

The route for the project begins at the N52 South of Kilbeggan and runs south of the existing N6, crossing to the north of the existing N6 at Farnagh and connects to the Athlone Relief Road, bypassing Kilbeggan, Horseleap and Moate.

The Minister spoke of the good progress being made in upgrading national roads throughout the country. In 2006 work is continuing on 25 projects; 9 of which are due for completion this year they include the N52 Mulllingar Bypass and the Edgeworthstown Bypass in the BMW region. Work is due to start on 11 major projects, while the N6 Ballinasloe Bypass is in the early stages of procurement.

On Transport 21, the Minister said: "The goal of Transport 21 is to provide Ireland with a first class transport system that, on a national level, connects all regions to each other and to our main seaports and airports, and, in the cities, will provide greatly enhanced public transport alternatives to the private car. The objective of Transport 21 is nothing less than a transformation of Ireland's transport network. This is necessary, and the huge levels of investment involved are justified, having regard to the critical importance of a good well functioning transport infrastructure for the economic and social life of the country and our quality of life generally."

Minister Cullen also spoke of road safety and the number of initiatives currently underway in bringing about positive change and improved driver behaviour on our roads. He will be publishing the Road Traffic Bill shortly that will provide for mandatory alcohol testing, more speed cameras and ban the use of hand held mobile phones. "My priority is to get this Bill enacted as soon as possible.

Mr. Peter Malone, Chairman of the National Roads Authority said: Today sees work start on the second phase of the largest roadway ever built connecting Galway and Dublin. At 57km in length it's the single longest stretch of motorway ever built in Ireland. Schemes such as the N6 Kilbeggan to Athlone project remind us of the massive transformation that Ireland's national road network is undergoing.

"This new east west corridor will not only benefit the major urban centres of Dublin and Galway but it will relieve traffic congestion in towns and villages such as Kilbeggan, Horseleap and Moate allowing for a climate of economic competitiveness to develop. The story will be similar throughout the country because in less than 4 years time the National Roads Authority partnership with local authorities will deliver all of the 5 major inter -city links connecting the regions with Dublin. By providing essential infrastructure we can improve road safety, reduce congestion, improving the environment and facilitate business and tourism growth. This work will continue for many years to come thanks to the Government's €16bn Transport 21 National Road Plan and the NRA is committed to delivering for the people of Ireland a safe and modern road network."

ENDS

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

What is this, DC, 2+1 or how it it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

What is this, DC, 2+1 or how it it?

The NRA spokesman in that report described it as motorway You just never know what labels are going to be on these roads when they are finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I think this began 5 or 6 months ago- i've friend working on it, fairly certain its the same road project, so it must be well advanced at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

It's 'HQ'D2AP. Motorway grade road no doubt, but the all too familiar green signage will adorn it.

Nice that the N6 all the way to Athlone is under construction though. Cullen will be worn out with all the sod turning he'll get to do this year. It's more work than he's used to :rolleyes:

mfitzy wrote:
    I think this began 5 or 6 months ago- i've friend working on it, fairly certain its the same road project, so it must be well advanced at this stage.
    That was phase I. The project is in two phases; Kinnegad to Kilbeggan and Kilbeggan to Athlone. The latter is phase II and that's what started today.

• Advertisement

murphaph wrote:
    It's 'HQ'D2AP. Motorway grade road no doubt, but the all too familiar green signage will adorn it.

Nice that the N6 all the way to Athlone is under construction though. Cullen will be worn out with all the sod turning he'll get to do this year. It's more work than he's used to :rolleyes:

Does 'HQ' D2 lane raod have a continuess yellow line for the hard shoulder or is it dotted:confused:

darkman2 wrote:
    Does 'HQ' D2 lane raod have a continuess yellow line for the hard shoulder or is it dotted:confused:
    It's dashed. Only full blown motorways have continuous yellow hard shoulder markings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Fool 5000

It's dashed. Only full blown motorways have continuous yellow hard shoulder markings.
    No because the Carrigtwohill bypass has a continuous yellow shoulder markings and I think the Watergrasshill Bypass has one too?

It's a mistake if that's the case. The markings are all laid down in law and only motorways are supposed to have a continuous yellow shoulder marking.

Fool 5000 wrote:
    No because the Carrigtwohill bypass has a continuous yellow shoulder markings and I think the Watergrasshill Bypass has one too?

That would make sense if they intend to re label it M-way when other sections are complete.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Phase two will link up with the existing Athlone bypass with a flyover at Kilmartins roundabout. Ballinasloe section is next.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

murphaph wrote:
    It's a mistake if that's the case. The markings are all laid down in law and only motorways are supposed to have a continuous yellow shoulder marking.
    Are you sure ? I thought only motorways have to have a continuous yellow shoulder marking.
    jd

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

jd wrote:
    Are you sure ? I thought only motorways have to have a continuous yellow shoulder marking.
    jd
    My understanding is that motorways are required by law to have a continuous yellow line for the purposes of defining a hard sholder. Only motorways are required to have this. I do not know if a dual carrageway used one, if it would breach current regulations.

Any dual carriageways I have seen, who are lucky enough to have hard sholders, have a dahsed line. It would make sense if a piece of road was being upgraded to use a continuous line and not a dashed line to save time, hassle and money in the future.

jd wrote:
    Are you sure ?
    Yep. Here's the figure concerned from the DoE Traffic Signs Manual (I've highlighted the important bit in a red box);
    HQDC_Markings.JPG

darkman2 wrote:
    That would make sense if they intend to re label it M-way when other sections are complete.

Hmm. Doubt that would happen. From the tunnel to Carrigtwohill could be labelled Mway, except for the bit near Cobh that has visibly sunk several feet since it was built.

After Carrigtwohill tho the road will be N for a long time yet. Theres loads of local access and at-grade crossings. Although the crossings are getting bridged as far as I know, the local access would stay.

In any case I hope it would stay. Id much rather a road project elsewhere gets fixed rather than remaking what is a reasonably OK bit of road. All it needs for the time being is a bit of tar, and let some other town have a much needed bypass :)

After Carrigtwohill tho the road will be N for a long time yet. Theres loads of local access and at-grade crossings. Although the crossings are getting bridged as far as I know, the local access would stay.
    Just as you say that ,there was a PR meeting in Carrigtwohill last night showing the designs of the Railway and the Midleton/Carrigtwohill road upgrade. It is to start in 2009 with all the level crossing on the road are to be bridged.

Any hope of them putting plans online for us to see?

Any hope of them putting plans online for us to see?
    No sorry I have no plans and there are none on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,266 ✭✭✭✭Victor

From the tunnel to Carrigtwohill could be labelled Mway, except for the bit near Cobh that has visibly sunk several feet since it was built.
    There is no reasonable, non-national route alternative to this route, because the old road was closed just north of the Dunkettle Interchange.

Advertisement