Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shaft snapped and stuck in Barrell - Help

Options
  • 31-05-2006 5:13pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I just had a bounce out and when my dart hit the floor the plastic shaft snapped and the bottom and the screw in part is stuck inside the barrell. I dont kno how to get it out so was hoping one of you guys would have a suggestion.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

I currently have two darts in the same situation at the moment.

There is a little device that I have seen that you screw into the broken shaft that is recessed in the shaft, and it gets it out in a few seconds.

I am looking online for this and will post it as soon as I find it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

if you have ab=n old set of darts or even use a nail and a plyers, get a lighter or heat the nail under the gas then burn the nail into the plastic bitand when firmly in allow to set, pour water on it etc and then gently screw out, obviously you want to use a small nail so as not to burn the plastic into the grooves, figure it out, common sense should prevail, works a treat.

I have seen a few darts, not necessarily ruined, but 'out of commision for a while' from heating up the barrel.

http://www.edarts.net/access/shex.shtml

04ext3.jpg

This is a bit different than the ones I have seen, but it may work.

Here is the one that I have seen/used.

http://www.crowsdarts.com/reviews/shaftex.html

shaftex.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I managed to get it out by using a drill and a very small drill bit. I didnt realise there were specially made darts accessories that could do it for you. Nice one Rented Mule, ill have to buy one of those.

• Advertisement

Glad I can be of some help.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭NeoRox

Hey guys,

Up to yourselves if you want to spend money on a tool but I've used a long needle to do this. All you do is work it in to the corner of the plasic and turn to release the plasic bit. Saves money and you wont damage the barrell of the dart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

my way was better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Laurencemac

I have always used one of the 2 remaining darts, put the point into the plastic as close to the edge up against the inside of the barrel/thread as you can and push in an anticlockwise direction - never failed yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

I have always used one of the 2 remaining darts, put the point into the plastic as close to the edge up against the inside of the barrel/thread as you can and push in an anticlockwise direction - never failed yet!

Thank you for this. Saved a night of city centre darting, god bless T'Internet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,541 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

8 years old and the thread still helps. Love it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

My younger naive self started this thread. I've learnt a few things since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭rabsmith2

I push my thumb against the barrel and screw anti clock wise, if this does not work I use one of those tiny screwdrivers, heat the tip and stick it into top of broken stem let cool and screw out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

what you do is get a lighter and melt the stem back onto the threads, wait for it to cool and unscrew it and the threads should come out

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Dessiemc27

Push a thumb tack into the broken shaft and turn thumbtack until shaft end comes out......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

Broke a Cosmo stem myself recently and there was a tiny bit left in the barrel, not enough to grip on to though!

Cut a slit into the stem that was stuck in the barrel, then just screwed it out with a normal screwdriver...

Advertisement