Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] Council to seize cars for sale on side of road

Options
  • 31-05-2006 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭

http://www.unison.ie/wexford_people/stories.php3?ca=34&si=1623401&issue_id=14129
    Council to seize cars for sale on side of road

CARS being sold at the roadside will be seized as part of a get tough policy by Wexford County Council that comes into force from next Monday (May 29)

Anyone who wants to have their car released will have to pay a significant fee and any vehicle left for more than six weeks will be disposed of.

Acting Director of Services at the County Council, Ger Griffin, said stickers will be placed on cars left for sale at the roadsides, giving owners 24 hours to remove them or face the consequences.

He said the council was very concerned about the growing numbers of cars being sold this way and the resulting hazard which can create dangerous traffic movements on the public roads.

n SEE PAGE 4

I wonder will they crack down on those guys selling those Wexford delicacies "Smoked Stawberries" and "Pommes de'Carbon"

Any bets on how long it will take someone to take a chance on flogging their wares on the Gorey By-pass when it open..
    jd

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

big brother......:mad:

i wouldnt have a problem with the cars as long as they are taxed and insured...(the public highway includes the verges etc as I understand it....

• Registered Users Posts: 78,266 ✭✭✭✭Victor

corktina wrote:
    i wouldnt have a problem with the cars as long as they are taxed and insured...(the public highway includes the verges etc as I understand it....
    But you aren't allowed park on the verge.

I made a successful complaint against a garage for parking cars for sale on a slope with limited visibility, on a narrowing, near a junction .... you get the idea. Roads are for transport, not for commerce (licences aside).

Of course, they could just charge the same fees they charge cafes for having tables on the street. :D

who said that? i dont recall a referendum.....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Council to seize cars for sale on side of road
    Didn't know that was illegal...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

corktina wrote:

who said that? i dont recall a referendum.....

For your information, here is an excerpt from ROAD TRAFFIC (TRAFFIC AND PARKING) REGULATIONS, 1997

Prohibitions on Parking
    36. (1) Save as otherwise provided for in these Regulations and subject to article 5, a vehicle shall not be parked on a public road at a location, in a manner or for a purpose referred to in this article.
    (2) A vehicle shall not be parked—
    ( a ) on that side of a section of roadway along the edge of which traffic sign number RRM 008 [double yellow lines] has been provided;
    ( b ) on a section of roadway where traffic sign number RUS 019 [No Parking sign] has been provided, during the period indicated on the information plate accompanying such traffic sign;
    ( c ) within 5 metres of a road junction;
    ( d ) on a section of roadway with less than 3 traffic lanes and where traffic sign number RRM 001 [continuous white line] has been provided;
    ( e ) on a section of roadway where traffic sign number RUS 020, in association with RRM 029 [appointed stand], has been placed to indicate that an appointed stand has been provided;
    ( f ) in any place, position or manner that will result in the vehicle obstructing, delaying or interfering with the entrance to or exit from a fire brigade station, an ambulance station or a Garda station;
    ( g ) in any place, position or manner that will result in the vehicle obstructing an entrance or an exit for vehicles to or from a premises, save with the consent of the occupier of such premises;
    ( h ) within 15 metres (on the approach side) or 5 metres (on the side other than the approach side) of a section of roadway where any of the following traffic signs have been provided—
    (i) traffic sign number RPC 001 [Pedestrian Crossing];
    (ii) traffic sign number RPC 002 [Pedestrian Crossing Complex]; or
    (iii) traffic sign numbers RTS 00I, RTS 002, RTS 003 or RTS 004 [traffic lights];
    ( i ) on a footway, a grass margin or a median strip;
    ( j ) on a part of a roadway which is a casual trading area, during hours of trading, unless the vehicle is for the time being in use for the purposes of casual trading;
    ( k ) in a manner in which it will interfere with the normal flow of traffic or which obstructs or endangers other traffic;
    ( l ) where traffic sign RUS 031 stop; or RRM 030 [stopping place or stand] has been provided unless the vehicle is an omnibus.

• Advertisement

OK....... but does it say a car shall not be parked in a legal postion with a for sale sign on it?

corktina wrote:
    OK....... but does it say a car shall not be parked in a legal postion with a for sale sign on it?
    No, but I thought the gist of the original article was that they weren't parked legally, for whatever reason or another. There's nothing illegal about having a "For Sale" sign in your own car if it's parked in a legal place, but I'm guessing this referred to 'traders' parking up whole lines of cars for sale in places that were causing some kind of hazard.

You're the one who was questioning whether parking on a grass verge was illegal or not, which I answered :)

no i actually was saying the whole verge is counted as part of the highway.....i assume that to park anywhere where it doesnt actually say you CAN park is technically illegal.....verge of course is not necessarily a GRASS verge......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

ok this law has pointed twice in the last two days, how many thousands of cars are parked on grass footpath verges in Ireland

ok this law has pointed twice in the last two days,
    Say what? :confused:
    how many thousands of cars are parked on grass footpath verges in Ireland
    Too damn many IMO. Grass verges with deep tyre gouges in them ... really classy (not).

• Advertisement

corktina wrote:
    verge of course is not necessarily a GRASS verge......
    What other kind is there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭bazzer

Verges schmerges. What's going to be done about the idiots who park on cycle tracks?

Alun wrote:
    What other kind is there?
    gravel
    concrete
    tarmac
    dirt
    block paviors

oh . bored now...going zzzzzzzz

bazzer wrote:
    Verges schmerges. What's going to be done about the idiots who park on cycle tracks?
    get rid of the bikes.......:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

bazzer wrote:
    Get rid of his wing mirror on the way past.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,266 ✭✭✭✭Victor

corktina wrote:
    gravel
    Maybe
    corktina wrote:
    concrete
    Not verge
    corktina wrote:
    tarmac
    Not verge
    corktina wrote:
    dirt
    Maybe
    corktina wrote:
    block paviors
    Not verge

Exactly! Concrete verges, my @arse. A concrete or a tarmac verge is called a pavement round these parts, and you can't park on those either. Maybe it's a Cork thing :)

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

how many thousands of cars are parked on grass footpath verges in Ireland

Regularly when matches are played in Pairce Ui Rinn or Pairc Ui Chaomh. The verges in our estate get in a sh** state from parking.

We went to Rosslare before Easter and I was amazed at the number of cars for sale on the verges - up around here you see the odd one but around Rosslare/Wexford there seemed to be dolled-up jap imports on every bit of grass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

bazzer wrote:
    Not a lot.

In a classic gesture of 'give with one hand & take back with the other', the government introduced rules (in 1997) allowing cars to park in cycle tracks. In 1998, the PDs changed the rules to allow driving in cycle tracks.

Does nobody read obscure stautory instruments any more?

Advertisement