Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What visa is needed for marriage here?

Options
  • 31-05-2006 3:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭

Hey guys,
    I'm curious as to what I need if I want to get married here, I'm an Irish citizen, my fiancée is American, does she need a special type of visa before anything can take place? I've found very little information on this, I know that the UK and US have fiancée visas but Ireland does not, so what are the requirements for a non-EU citizen to marry here? Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

There is no special visa needed. Where are you getting married? The only thing the Irish government is worried about is if your fiancée is going to be a "burden" on the state. If you have joint bank accounts or credit cards thats good. You will have to talk with an immigration officer in your local garda station (sometimes they can be hard to get a hold of) and ask them about your wife getting a residency permit, then you can go to Social Welfare and get her PSN (I think thats what its called, same as Social Security Number in the US). Anymore questions, just ask :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Willymuncher

Cheers Ruu, much appreciated :)

I'll be sure to post back if I have any further questions, thanks again for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

Congrats willmucher. I did the opposite and moved to the states.I am from a small town not to far from loughrea. The irish government make it difficult as the US do the same if you ever decide to move to the states.Its a long process if so but well worth it.

If you have any questions just pm me and congrats again mate.

Advertisement