Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish famine fiction (childrens book)

Options
  • 31-05-2006 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

Hello,

Years ago I read a childrens book about some kids who could see ghosts from the Irish famine...I think! The kids may have been on holiday with their parents, I can't remember.

I only vaguely remember this book but do remember really enjoying it. It was like a childrens horror book. I think the author was female but that's all I can remember.

Anyone know what the book might have been?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭nollaig

Hello,

Years ago I read a childrens book about some kids who could see ghosts from the Irish famine...I think! The kids may have been on holiday with their parents, I can't remember.

I only vaguely remember this book but do remember really enjoying it. It was like a childrens horror book. I think the author was female but that's all I can remember.

Anyone know what the book might have been?

Sounds great! But I dont know what it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

The only children's books about the Famine that I know of are by Marita Conlon McKenna. Here's a link: http://www.obrien.ie/author.cfm?authorID=59

I don't know if the book you mention is by her though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Thanks Dudess but no, not what I'm looking for.

For some reason the words "black harvest" have just come to mind right now??? I will Google now...

Oh yes! Google is indeed my friend!
    http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/p/ann-pilling/black-harvest.htm

Cool :D:D:D
    Colin and Prill are on holiday in Ireland, but from the moment they arrive, Colin feels sick from an awful smell and Prill is visited by a strange creature in her dreams. Their "odd" cousin Oliver links the horror with the terrible famine in Ireland in 1840 and he must save himself and his cousins.

Oh yes, I remember it now, the kid who could smell the stench freaked me out most. Written in 1983, I borrowed it from the mobile library in Lucan so that would have been about '84 or '85. I would have been 9 or 10 :D

Had forgotten that book, read it in 84 or 85 myself when I was about 10. If I remember right, when they were driving to the cottage for the first the youngest kid sees a shadowy figure from the car, and it goes on from there. That was a pretty powerful effort for a kids horror book.

Under the Hawthorn tree, isnt that another childrens famine book? But, like, it was set in the famine??

• Advertisement

It could very well be! Black Harvest is definitely the one I remember reading as a child and it was one scary-cool book :)

Under the Hawthorn tree sounds as though it might be a bit "Angelas Ashes". Is it?

Under the Hawthorn tree sounds as though it might be a bit "Angelas Ashes". Is it?

I forget the story to be honest, something to do with 3 kids walking around the country during the famine. Forget what happened to the parents. Geez, it was years ago that I read that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

The parents died and they walked to their aunts' house in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Tingo

I read you're post and was happily about to reply but it seems you already know. :rolleyes:

Under the Hawthorn tree is also pretty good. It's been a long time since I've read it but its about three children crossing Ireland to find their great aunts because their parents are gone and they don't want to go workhouse. I think there are two more books in the series.

Tingo wrote:
    I read you're post and was happily about to reply but it seems you already know. :rolleyes:
    Yeah, strange but I had been thinking about it for a while to no avail and as I was replying to that post above, it came straight into my head :D Weird!

Thanks for your suggestion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

nollaig wrote:
    Under the Hawthorn tree, isnt that another childrens famine book? But, like, it was set in the famine??

Under The Hawthorn Tree
    Children of the Famine
    The first book in the famine trilogy
    The Great Irish Famine brilliantly recreated through the story of three young survivors. When tragedy strikes their family Eily, Michael and Peggy are left to fend for themselves

Wildflower Girl
    The second book in the famine trilogy

Fields of Home
    The final book in the famine trilogy

all written by the above mentioned Conlon McKenna, loved them at the time they won a few awards if I am not mistaken.

wow my 500th post, it only took me four years, god damn job, no internet access. roll on 2010 for my 1000th post

Wildflower Girl
    The second book in the famine trilogy

Oh yeah, read that too. Forget it now though. Might try to get my hands on that trilogy again

Advertisement