Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this possible?

Options
  • 31-05-2006 1:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭

just wondering here if it's possible to divert say your outgoing mobile phone calls to a voip gateway and then onto the destination number whilst paying voip rates??

I.E. I phone john on my mobile through my voip gateway.

in theory that could be done, dunno if it's out there though. just a thought. :confused:

edit: excuse my noObiness to this, a bit of research tells me it's out there!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭amby666

Think some of the new nokia E series or N80 may allow this at some stage. The N80 comes with wi-fi & sip enabled, so in theory as soon as someone brings out a sip client..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

There are GSM gateways which when combined with an FSO/FXS combined ATA like the Grandstream 488 or Sipura 3000 allow you to do this but you still have to pay the Mobile -> Mobile call of course. They do allow you some savings though as you are always dialling the same number and many networks have special deals that can help in this situation. They also allow calls to go the other way, i.e. when you ring a mobile from your VoIP device the call can be terminated as a mobile-> mobile call even though you're speaking from your VoIP handset. Search for "GSM Gateway" on E-bay and there are oftten some available. Beware though - they're not cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

bhickey wrote:
    Beware though - they're not cheap!

yeah, round €150 + delivery :(

i wonder if it would be possible to take advantage of meteor to meteor free calls somehow with this.

i mean, if you could somehow set up an 085 number on your gateway, you'd be laughing ;)

smemon wrote:
    i wonder if it would be possible to take advantage of meteor to meteor free calls somehow with this. i mean, if you could somehow set up an 085 number on your gateway, you'd be laughing ;)

Well then put a Meteor SIM in the gateway and ring it. If you've set things up right then you'll be presented with a dialtone from your ATA and off you go. That way you could dial international calls from your mobile at VoIP rates.

bhickey wrote:
    Well then put a Meteor SIM in the gateway and ring it. If you've set things up right then you'll be presented with a dialtone from your ATA and off you go. That way you could dial international calls from your mobile at VoIP rates.

so you're saying i could actually get basically free calls to anywhere in the world?

if i have a meteor phone, put another meteor sim in the gateway and ring it, that's classed as meteor to meteor. im then free to dial any number?

surely it can't be that easy, everyone would be using it.

edit, just paying voip rates of course? so i could ring a landline from a mobile for 2c per minute 24/7??

• Advertisement

smemon wrote:
    so i could ring a landline from a mobile for 2c per minute 24/7??

Yes but you'll need to get the extra eqpt (i.e. FXO/FXS ATA & GSM gateway) and you'll now have to pay rental on 2 SIM's instead of one.

bhickey wrote:
    Yes but you'll need to get the extra eqpt (i.e. FXO/FXS ATA & GSM gateway) and you'll now have to pay rental on 2 SIM's instead of one.

no, you could pick up a pay as u go sim and wouldnt need to top up on it as you wouldnt be making calls with it, you'd just be putting it in the gateway and using it as a stepping stone to voip.

this could be worthwhile you know. especially with meteor policy of free meteor to meteor calls. this would eliminate mobile charges and thus you'd only be paying voip rates for ALL calls.

how much do you reckon all that equipment would cost? ~€250?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

smemon wrote:
    this could be worthwhile you know. especially with meteor policy of free meteor to meteor calls. this would eliminate mobile charges and thus you'd only be paying voip rates for ALL calls.

how much do you reckon all that equipment would cost? ~€250?

Ah isn't it free txt';s and 5c meteor to meteor calls? ;)
    Damn good idea none the less, I'd imagine the reason why more people don't do it is down to the fact that they just don't know about such things.

Same reason why more people don't use VoIP in Ireland or port their numbers from eircom to broadtalk or blueface when they have cable internet.

Cabaal wrote:
    Ah isn't it free txt';s and 5c meteor to meteor calls? ;)

ah, :o got me.

yes 5c calls to the sim, meaning it would cost ~7c to phone landlines anywhere in the world, and round ~23c to irish mobiles.

still not bad. i suppose if you have to get the equipment at a couple of hundred euro it mightnt be worth it. if you're a heavy mobile user though it could save you a fortune!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

smemon wrote:
    ah, :o got me.

yes 5c calls to the sim, meaning it would cost ~7c to phone landlines anywhere in the world, and round ~23c to irish mobiles.

still not bad. i suppose if you have to get the equipment at a couple of hundred euro it mightnt be worth it. if you're a heavy mobile user though it could save you a fortune!

Another way of doing this is buy yourself a vodafone PAYG SIM and put it into the GSM gateway, then get yourself the 70e billpay Vodafone plan that allows unlimited calls to another vodafone number.
    So you can call your GSM gateway as much as you want for 70e a month

Add the 25e Worldwide unlimited blueface package and you can call almost any landline in the world for as much as you want for for 95e a month from your mobile :)

Would save you a small fortune if you called landlines alot in Ireland, Europe etc.
    All this is in theory of course and don't know if it'll actually work, but it sounds good :)

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote:
    Add the 25e Worldwide unlimited blueface package and you can call almost any landline in the world for as much as you want for for 95e a month from your mobile :)

Would save you a small fortune if you called landlines alot in Ireland, Europe etc.
    All this is in theory of course and don't know if it'll actually work, but it sounds good :)

seen as we're at it, we could do away with line rental and go with wireless broadband. meaning we'd have a static monthly charge of about €125 :D plus a few euro for mobile calls. so you're talking say €135 per month for unlimited calls to anywhere.

handy for the travelling business man.

smemon wrote:
    handy for the travelling business man.

Businesses are indeed where most of this sort of stuff tends to get deployed because their mobile costs will often justify the initial cost of the equipment. I'd say though that for many people if they really worked out the maths on their own annual landline/VoIP -> mobile spend then they could probaly justify it too.

Advertisement