Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do...?

Options
  • 31-05-2006 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Long story short I fancy this mate of mine and Im thinking if I do something about it I'll wreck our friendship as I dunno how he feels. any advice people?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

OK is this person the same sex, how good a mate are they , how long have you known them, if your mate didn't speak to you anymore would it hurt you.

anytime in the past I have been in this position I have never moved on my feelings, as a friend is a friend but if you do date and something goes wrong, things will end up awkward.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Go for it,

Ive had relationships with loads of my friends over the years and we are all still good friends now.

Test the water first and see what happens if your nervous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭shinners007

if you seriously like your friend enough to risk your friendship then go for it...
    if not bid your time give out a few signals and see what happens.
    best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

1. Life's short.
    2. A good friendship will survive it, after a little bit of embarassment.
    If you think the two of you could have something, go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Dreamer 7

Have the ever shown signs of interest in you? Do they seem jealous or envious when you are with someone else?? A little gentle flirting could show you some signs.. hold eye contact when he speaks to you for a little longer than necessary, laugh at his jokes etc. Test the waters before you jump in and you should be fine :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

^
    Absolutely. Bit of flirting will go a long way and you'll know straight away what the story is. Having said that, he is a guy and mightn't pick up on the signals. I've fancied a few mates of mine over the years but figured they didn't feel the same way etc so didn't do anything about it as it would ruin everything etc etc.
    Then they tend to reveal years later that yes, they were in fact interested little hotties and I was so dense I didn't notice the signs. Goddamn shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Yeah. I'm kind of in the same situation at the moment. I am starting to fancy this friend of mine but I'm not sure if I should move on it for a few reasons - if things get awkward then it will become hard to work together on projects that we're planning.

Stuff like this is always hard to figure out isn't it?

Seize the day is fine but y'know - what about the day after that?

He's a guy I'm a gal & we've known each other a little under a year. He's kind of friendly with everyone & we've loads in commom so we usually stay talking for hours so it's hard to say if he's interested just as a mate or otherwise. I'm not too worried about humiliating myself cos I usually do that on a daily basis anyway. But it would hurt if we fell out over it. On the other hand he's a reasonably laid back guy so he may deal with it ok & we could still be mates. This is eating me up - I usually ask for what I want happily enough & not saying anything in this case is bugging me.

Do you work together, go to college together, just see him when you're hanging around with friends?

I think what your social situation is when you see this guy will affect whether things are awkward or not if he knocks you back.

Advertisement