Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Monster *Potential IRL Spoilers*

Options
  • 30-05-2006 9:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

There hasn't been a discussion bout ol' smokey in quiet a while so I'd like to get one started.

FACTS

The creators knew exactly what the creature was from the start.

Attacked and presumably killed pilot in Pilot.
    Cast a notable, large SHADOW in cockpit (Could smoke do this?)

Confronted and spared Locke in Walkabout.
    Terry O'Quinn asked Damon Lindelof how to react to it during the scene. Lindelof replied "Look as if you've seen the most beautiful thing in your life"

The character of Locke later describes it in a similar way. "I've looked into the eye of this island and what I saw was beauitful"

A freely moving, unatural cloud of Black Smoke appeared during its attack in Exodus Pt. 3 and later in the 23rd Psalm.

Locke has a different reaction to the smoke than to what he saw in Walkabout. He appears terrified.

Uproots trees. On closer inspection the smoke appears to do this (assuming the smoke is a different entity). While examining scenes from Exodus pt. 3, I noticed the smoke diving under the roots and quickly rising, catapulting the tree in the air.

Dragged Locke down a hole in same episode with what appeared to be a mechanical grabbing arm , obscured/formed by the smoke.

Smoke confronted Eko in monster's presence and alledgedly flashed images of his passed on its inside. However was this meaningless/an easter egg like the shark tale logo?

Lindelof said we've seen the monster this season i.e. 2, but didn't realise it. He couldn't be referring to Eko's encounter could he? Many fans DID count that as the monster...

THEORIES:
    Ain't many sound ones on this subject. However I personaly like the idea of a fine metallic fibre that is bieng manipulated by somebody using the "strange" magnetic properties of the Island.

Again any feedback would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Lindelof said we've seen the monster this season i.e. 2, but didn't realise it. He couldn't be referring to Eko's encounter could he? Many fans DID count that as the monster...

When did he say that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Mike89

In the final Season 2 podcast

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Narcissus

The monster has both mechanical sounds and sounds that could possibly be from a natural being.

This is noticable in the pilot episode in season 1

Some believe that it is nanotechnology.

Its not :)

• Advertisement

^Yep. Debunked by creators. Good news is, we'll know what it is by this time next year according to spoilerfix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭loon

if it follows the season two guise.. we'll find out at the end of season three and it'll have nothing to do with anything in the previous seasons... despite being a big part of season one..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

2 things about the monster/smoke thing the first time locke seen it in s1ep4 i know it was mentioned somewhere before but can't find the post now, when it comes out of the bushes it does make a sound that is very similer to the adding machine he was using in the office scene. could this be a flashback and images kinda like eko had when he met the smoke and seen the past. Locke wasn't scared of it then because it was that day that he finally got to tell his boss off???

and secondly does the boar have the same kinda injuries as the pilot sustained after his encounter??? Kate did look at it funny and the boar stopped squeeling(sp) very abruptly when locke was chasing it...

could this be a flashback and images kinda like eko had when he met the smoke and seen the past.

I'd say thats exactly what happened. Why show flashbacks to however the monster encounters though? I was thinking thats how the Others knew peoples names etc but its only scanned Eko and Locke so I guess that idea is out the window.. I hope it'll be answered in season 3 anyway :).

UPDATE: We saw the monster after episode 10 (23rd Psalm).
    Source: The Fuselage

I can't figure out for the life of me a sutibale candidate.....

• Advertisement

Have you got a link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

I think the 'monster' conjures up images of your past seemingly, going on evidence of what I saw with Mr Eko, maybe Locked described it the first time as being the most beautiful thing he'd seen in his life was because he saw Helen, maybe he was so **** scared the second time (when it tried to drag him underground) because he saw himself back in the wheelchair.

Advertisement