Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bluetooth headsets and laptop

Options
  • 30-05-2006 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭

Afternoon all,

A quick query for anyone who has tried any of the following :)

I'm using a professional dictation package (voice to word processor), currently with a standard headset (mic + single earphone 3,5 mm jacks).

I'm now contemplating buying either a Bluetooth USB dongle or the mini-pci Bluetooth card designed for my laptop (Dell D600) and a Bluetooth headset (such as used by mobile phones), to do away with the cables altogether.

So the question is, simply, is this going to work with the laptop, or will I need WinXP drivers for the headset (in addition to the dongle or miniPCI card drivers), or will I need to fiff' and faff' to get the combination working?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

If it's XP SP2, the headset profile isn't provided with the Windows native bluetooth stack. Otherwise, Audio Gateway can work. use the stack that came with the bluetooth dongle... tbh, it may work with little or no effort, or it may work with a lot of effort, or it may not work at all. Impossible to tell at this point. If it aint broken...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

It is fairly straight forward, if you have used Bluetooth profiles before.

However, I doubt the quality would be good enough for a dictation package - don't they require high-quality microphones?

For the hell of it, I set up the laptop with Media Player (as you do) to see if it would work, but of course the quality was rubbish. I would imagine the same would apply for the microphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Thx for the above.

Re. dictation software (Dragon's Naturally Speaking): a standard mic works absolutely fine, and there is no need for super-duper-sensible mics (just don't use a webcam's mic, if you see what I mean ;)). Strangely enough, what's crucial for recognition accuracy is RAM - you need tons.

But I must admit that I was harbouring some misgivings about the possibility of 'over the air' degradation of the signal (compress / decompress / recompress / redecompress / etc.) versus the good old "down the wire" solution.

Guess I'll wait some more and see, then. :)

Advertisement