Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro-black???

Options
  • 30-05-2006 8:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭

Thought i might try and broach a slightly more serious topic and see what opinions are around here, as i've been getting a little fed up with comparing the lyrical merits of rappers from the dirrrty south for the last week or two :rolleyes:

I think theres a thin line in hip-hop between black positivity and racism. I've been listening back to some tracks recently, for example Dead Prez "They School" or Mos Def's "Rock 'n' Roll", and i find their lyrics to not really be a celebration of black culture but more so as one of an attack on white culture, to the point where i'm thinking, 'imagine what the reaction would be if a white person was to release something equivalent'. it would be seen as hate-music and bigotted. But we live in a society which is so sensitive to the subject that it can't be tackled without screams of discrimination. Groups such as Arrested Development have always seemed to me to convey a positive message when tackling such issues.

Do people see this as an issue? I love hip-hop, and love Mos Def, etc... but i have found some of the lyrics i hear borderline offensive?

Anyone anything to add?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

I think Hip Hop needs rappers to go back to hating white people. All that anger made for good music :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭manonthemoon

Ay Cee wrote:
    I think Hip Hop needs rappers to go back to hating white people. :D

Ya. Whitey always keeping me down:D

On a similar question to the OP,

If you are white, is it acceptable to use the 'N' word when reciting/singing hip-hop lyrics?

If you do think it is acceptable, would you use the 'N' word if/when there are black people present?

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I don't rap or claim to but personally i think it comes down to your background. It all comes down to context really. its not a word i encounter daily or hear in everyday conversation with friends so i wouldn't use it in the company of black people or in general. Like i said, its a context thing, if eminem wants to say it, go right on ahead, but if some bloke with a swastika tattooed to his head wants to use it its probably for racist reasons.

Black people can call white people whitey or cracker or whatever and its just accepted and ignored. Just wondering how far it can go before it gets classed as racism?

Don't get me wrong too though, i don't take myself too seriously. I'm the 1st one breaking my sh1te laughing at Eddie Murphy Raw doing his whiteboy dancing routine or Chris Rock's racist uncle routines...they're genius:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

I'm the 1st one breaking my sh1te laughing at Eddie Murphy Raw doing his whiteboy dancing routine or Chris Rock's racist uncle routines...they're genius:D

Ye CRACKA ASS CRACKAAAAA

Ay Cee wrote:
    Ye CRACKA ASS CRACKAAAAA
    :D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

First of all,I don't find those kind of lyrics offensive-for one thing I think of myself as Irish first and European second and thats it.Colour and religion just don't come into it,so its harder to be offended by Ice Cube's racism.Plus I am easily the most dis-sensetised human being on earth-I just don't give a damn about people getting their feelings hurt.

There seems to be a Black mindset in the US that suggests that white people keepblacks down.There undoubtedly is a inbred casual racist current throughout middle class whites in the US and Europe for that matter and then there is the KKK,slavery,blah blah blah.These points are all fair enough but irrelevent-because if Blacks want to get out of there continous troubles then they need to stop blaming everyboy else for their problems and be pro-active.Get **** done rather then complaining because the welfare check is a bit lighter or because the cops are racist.Complaining has and will continue to get them nowhere.

yeah i have to agree with some of your points Oriz. There is definitely a case for the whole, society hates us so why bother. I especially found that with the dead prez stuff, the whole don't go to school because the white man will just teach you to go and work in a fast food store and serve him??? Just stop feeling sorry for yourself and thinking the whole world is against you and get on with it. forget about an education, thats what whitey wants you to get, you'll learn everything you need on the streets and soon find out all your qualified to do is flip burgers for a living

Advertisement