Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you're gonna have a cuppa have a Club

Options
  • 30-05-2006 12:57am

Anyone remember this ad? I think it was from somewhere between 1989 and 1992.

I still remember the whole tune but I'd love to see it again, if anyone's got it on tape I'd love to hear from you. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Quality ad, brings back the memories alright :) Probably belongs in All Things Retro though.

True, or Broadcasting History. It's one of those things I had no idea where to put...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭homeOwner

What about ......

Birds eye potato wAFFLes so waffley versitile,
    they go with beans, burgers, (beans, burgers)
    eggs in, eggs on, gammon, steak, fries,
    grill 'em, bake 'em, fry 'em, eat 'em
    Birds eye potato wAFFLes so waffley versitile.

:D

(Not sure if i got all the words right)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

5-4-3-2-1 bars had a catchy ad too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

wasn't it 'join our club' ?

• Advertisement

if ya like a lot of choclate on yer biscuit, join our club. j-j-join ou CLUB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

They were great men to dunk in a cup of tea

better the hob knobs?

parasite wrote:
    wasn't it 'join our club' ?
    That was a later British version

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Karsini wrote:
    Anyone remember this ad? I think it was from somewhere between 1989 and 1992.

I still remember the whole tune but I'd love to see it again, if anyone's got it on tape I'd love to hear from you. :)

"Whistle whistle whistle whistle whistle whistle whistle. If you're gonna have a cuppa have a club. Tap tap." Such a happy ad. I've a feeling it's from well before the period you mentioned. I'm thinking possibly '84 onwards - maybe earlier?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭uncle ernie

T&#225 wrote: »
    5-4-3-2-1 bars had a catchy ad too

how bout this one...

'I'll be your dog! Wuff, wuff, wuff It's too orangey for crows, it's just for me and my dog. We all adore Kiora!

how bout this one...

'I'll be your dog! Wuff, wuff, wuff It's too orangey for crows, it's just for me and my dog. We all adore Kiora!

Oh yeah! Quality!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

T&#225 wrote: »
    better the hob knobs?

Iwould say so....She was nice and solid and the outside of the chocolate melted nice and soft...good shape for the gob......

The hob nob tended to go a bit weak if left in too long and could splatter the front of the shirt or dissappear into the dregs of the teacup.

verdict... Club bar... more forgiving for the novice dunker

Close call though:D

Dudess wrote:
    "Whistle whistle whistle whistle whistle whistle whistle. If you're gonna have a cuppa have a club. Tap tap." Such a happy ad. I've a feeling it's from well before the period you mentioned. I'm thinking possibly '84 onwards - maybe earlier?
    Well I was born in 1984 and can remember it, lol. Maybe it is but I still remember seeing it, surely must have been aired later or for a very long time!

Karsini wrote:
    Well I was born in 1984 and can remember it, lol. Maybe it is but I still remember seeing it, surely must have been aired later or for a very long time!

Oh it would have been. Probably up to about 1990. 1992 seems a bit late for it but, as you said, it could have been dredged up again. In fact, I have a feeling it might have been. That's often done with ads. "If you like a lot of chocolate on your biscuit" was reshown a good few years after its original run - although the graphics were obviously updated.
    The "If you're gonna have a cuppa have a Club" heyday was definitely the 80s, though :). I totally associate it with being a little kid - not a teenager, which I was in the early 90s. You probably remember it from being very small too. It's amazing what an impact ads can make on really small kids. Although you hardly remember it from being a baby. Then again, advertising is a hell of a powerful medium...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Rantorama

Dudess wrote:

Years of alochol abuse had mericfully erased this tune from my brain...untill you posted that.

Thanks for nothing *Dudess.:mad:

*(if that is your real name)

Dudess wrote:
    You probably remember it from being very small too. It's amazing what an impact ads can make on really small kids. Although you hardly remember it from being a baby. Then again, advertising is a hell of a powerful medium...
    Yep, well I remember a lot of late 80s TV presentation... the 1987 RTÉ 2 ident, Sky Channel, Ulster Television as it was then... I really should have gotten out more!

Ad-wise, I also remember both the Kia-Ora and Bird's Eye Potato Waffles ads mentioned here. Also a Milky Way one... "the red car and the blue car had a race, all red wants to do is stuff his face..." I saw that one again recently - classic! :D

Rantorama wrote:
    Years of alochol abuse had mericfully erased this tune from my brain...untill you posted that.

Thanks for nothing *Dudess.:mad:

Leave the ad alone! I won't sit idly by while you abuse the ad!:D

Karsini wrote:
    Yep, well I remember a lot of late 80s TV presentation... the 1987 RTÉ 2 ident, Sky Channel, Ulster Television as it was then... I really should have gotten out more!

Man, that's impressive!
    Karsini wrote:
    Also a Milky Way one... "the red car and the blue car had a race, all red wants to do is stuff his face..." I saw that one again recently - classic! :D

An all-round legendary ad indeed. Early 90s I would think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭The Song Thrush

Club Milks aren't the same anymore, they've ruined them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭flutegirl

"Way, down deep
    in the middle of the congo
    a hippo took an apricot, a guava amd a mango
    he put them all together as he danced a tangy tango
    and then he said "I know, we'll call it um Bongo!"
    Um Bongo, Um Bongo
    They drink it in the congo
    Um Bongo"

Or something like that :o

Advertisement