Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Installing car kit

Options
  • 29-05-2006 6:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭

I am thinking of buying a Nokia CK-7W car kit online.
    Is it difficult to install one of these?
    In particular, a renault clio.
    I think I'd be saving about 80euro if I bought it online and put it in myself.
    Or would anyone know, how much would it cost to get someone to install it for me?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Depends on how handy you are at taking dashboards apart, and if you understand wiring. If you plan on wiring it up to your stereo for the mute function, and doing a neat job, it may be easier to get it installed professionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Darando

Easy to do yourself. Just make sure you get the correct adaptor lead for your radio (possibly Autoleads 06-05B in your case) and then you need the carkit itself. If its a bluetooth kit that doesnt have a cradle (i.e. to power your phone) I recommend the Parrot CK-3100 - cheaper and can be used with any phone. (The nokia can have a cradle but this is extra cost on top) - any questions just ask me.

I bought some car kit stuff recently off a company called Autocomfort in England.they have a website at www.autocomfort.co.uk the guy is called Alan, just mail him and tell him what you want (if you know exactly) or tell him your situation(i.e exact year car model radio etc. and what you want done) and he will advise. I got stuff extremely competetive and cheap shipping from UK. He is genuine. Just see what he quotes.
    (I don't work for them btw! just a satified customer).

Also if your unsure try www.autoleads.co.uk they make all the connectors and can advise also.

doesn't the Parrot kit wire through the cars original speakers and requires an adaptor?

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Darando

Only put a Parrot CK-3100 in my own car last month. All thats needed was the kit and adaptor (I have a Ford so needed adaptor to convert to an ISO connection). If you have ISO wiring then adaptor not needed Im sure. Cost all together €140 including shipping (for kit and adaptor).

The sound comes through the cars speakers when it mutes the radio (so no need for an ugly new speaker - but i think the nokia is the same when telemute lead attached).

Best part of it is that you can change from nokia to sony ercosson to motorola etc without any hassle.

yeah the Parrot one is fairly sweet with the screen.

parrot_ck3100.jpg

speakers a bit of a pain if you have an intergrated stereo, but a top kit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

i got mine supplied and fitted for 220 euro, your better off with the cradle because it will keep your phone fully charged

• Registered Users Posts: 7,396 ✭✭✭fletch

I have the Parrot installed in my car....love it, so easy to install...took less than 30mins....my only one gripe is that it doesn't mute my subwoofer but that's down to my setup....it does mute all the other speakers

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I've installed this http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?cc=ie&lc=en&ver=4000&template=pp4_loader&php=php1_10302&zone=pp&lm=pp4_1&pid=10302 4 times now (1 switched between my 3 cars when I kept changining and 1 in the gf's car) They are pretty easy. the only annoying bit is if there isnt much space around the radio to put the new cables and the control box.If you have a se phone you can call up your phonebook on screen which is handy

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

as far as i know you need to wire it up properly to the ignition so that the kit cannot be used without ignition on, otherwise it can fail the NCT (fire hazard). check out nct manual for full info.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

fletch wrote:
    I have the Parrot installed in my car....love it, so easy to install...took less than 30mins....my only one gripe is that it doesn't mute my subwoofer but that's down to my setup....it does mute all the other speakers

Don't suppose you know off the top of your head, if these can be integrated with existing controls? My bmw has the steering wheel controls for the car kit, and don't really want to lose them...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

coolmoose wrote:
    as far as i know you need to wire it up properly to the ignition so that the kit cannot be used without ignition on, otherwise it can fail the NCT (fire hazard). check out nct manual for full info.
    Yup, I know that's true - remember reading it. But the ISO harness for the stereo comes with a wire specifically for ignition on power only, and then the other for memory - maybe it could come off that somewhere. *Shrug*

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Get a good bluetooth headset.

No wires. Zero installation.

Get a good bluetooth headset.

No wires. Zero installation.

Questionable legality though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Kermitt

coolmoose wrote:

I've never come across this in any NCT or other legislation...where's your source?
    The ignition sensor on a car kit is optional. The kit would not be a fire hazard as the carkits shut off 45 seconds after removing or disconnecting a phone. It's no different to the car radio being connected to a permanent live so it can operate even with no key in the ignition. (every VAG car and others have this) The only way I can see it to be a fire hazard is if it was installed as a DIY job by someone not sure what they're at and left wires exposed to cross each other. BTW I fitted these kits to all sorts of vehicles for 3 years, never even so much as a blown fuse.
    EDIT: I've put 2 cars through NCT with pemanent live car kit- They don't care - It's not even looked at

OP if you're reasonable competent its just a matter of taking your time. Just be wary of wiring on renaults.. Colour coding is nothing like your intuition might tell you. And You'll need a set of radio removal tools (attached)for the head unit. (these can be made from flexible metal rod a bit smaller than a coat hanger if neccesary) If yo can remove the head unit alnoe, there's no neet to take any other dash panels off.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

My source is the official NCT manual (www.ncts.ie/test.html , page 49, point 5)

5. Check that any after-market items fitted such as a mobile phone charger, a radio, additional lights, etc. cannot be
    operated while the ignition switch is in the off position.

but you may be right kermitt, i installed the CK-7W kit in my own car 2 years ago, but i sold it before the NCT so i don't know what happened. haven't heard of any car failing due to it...but then again don't know many people who self-installed! :D
    i'm assuming that if it's wired through an in-line fuse this shouldn't be aproblem. just said id post it up in case!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Darando wrote:
    Easy to do yourself. Just make sure you get the correct adaptor lead for your radio (possibly Autoleads 06-05B in your case) and then you need the carkit itself. If its a bluetooth kit that doesnt have a cradle (i.e. to power your phone) I recommend the Parrot CK-3100 - cheaper and can be used with any phone. (The nokia can have a cradle but this is extra cost on top) - any questions just ask me.

Also if your unsure try www.autoleads.co.uk they make all the connectors and can advise also.

Can you tell us please how is the sound quality and clarity of calls in the Parrot as compared to the Nokia?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

i would think dont bother installing it yourself.get it done professionally.it will cost you max 80 to get installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Darando wrote:
    Only put a Parrot CK-3100 in my own car last month. All thats needed was the kit and adaptor (I have a Ford so needed adaptor to convert to an ISO connection). If you have ISO wiring then adaptor not needed Im sure. Cost all together €140 including shipping (for kit and adaptor).

The sound comes through the cars speakers when it mutes the radio (so no need for an ugly new speaker - but i think the nokia is the same when telemute lead attached).

Best part of it is that you can change from nokia to sony ercosson to motorola etc without any hassle.

What powers the Parrot? is it the ISO connection?. I have Mondeo, Its got the 6cd Sony Steroe where there is a button for the phone, and above my head what looks like a mike for a mobile phone. MAybe there is a specefic kit for the Mondy though?.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

If you have an ISO connection, you just plug the parrot straight in, it's an abosoloute piece of piss. I've installed 4 here in work, they work grand, all voice activated so you just say 'Call', it beeps, 'Jimmy' or whatever.

Only thing I'd say is sometimes, if you are listening to talk radio, it picks that up.. and mutes the radio, but only for about 2 - 3 seconds. Also switch warning tones, and keypad tones off on your phone. We got them for 100 quid each of Expansys. Also the Parrot website has all the wiring diagrams.

TK

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

eoin_s wrote:
    Questionable legality though?

I don't think so. It is 100% handsfree.

Smoking whilst driving (also not illegal afaik) is far more dangerous.

• Advertisement

I don't think so. It is 100% handsfree.

Smoking whilst driving (also not illegal afaik) is far more dangerous.

Sounds like a loophole, because wired headsets are currently - or will be soon - illegal. Finding it quite hard to find any definitive answers on the web.

Don't know if I agree with the smoking thing. Certainly lighting and putting it out distracts the driver as does dialing numbers on a mobile phone, but I would consider talking to someone on the phone (handsfree or not) more distracting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

I'd put eating before smoking or being on the phone, I've behind people how I thought were drunk out of their minds.. but turned out to be an ice cream cone..
    TK

NeMiSiS wrote:
    I'd put eating before smoking or being on the phone, I've behind people how I thought were drunk out of their minds.. but turned out to be an ice cream cone..
    TK

Well, you can't expect an ice cream cone to be that good a driver...

eoin_s wrote:
    Well, you can't expect an ice cream cone to be that good a driver...

boom boom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Robin Heather

The Parrot Car kit works extremely well, and the software can be upgraded via bluetooth.
    Please note, some of the internet sellers are selling "old" versions of the kit, and the software will not support the latest phone models, and it will be neccessary to get the software upgraded. The cost of the upgrade can add up to €70 to the cost of the kit.
    Having purchased my kit from Expansys, I searched for the official distributor in Ireland, namely The Fone Factory, in Ballymount, Dublin 24 who were quite happy to upgrade my software, but it was noted that the Parrot kit that I had purchased via the internet was over a year old, and that the sofware would not work with my Nokia N70.
    The software upgrade cost me a further €50, added to the cost of the Iso Adaptor Lead at €29.95 and the original Kit at €110 from Expansys, my saving was not considerable given the fact that I could have bought the kit from The Fone Factory at €199 in the box or €229 fully installed, and with that deal I was also offered free software upgrades if I changed phone within 12 months.

Advertisement