Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confused as Hell

Options
  • 29-05-2006 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭

Hey All,

I'd like your help with all this voip stuff, as I've been unable to make sense out of all the terms and possible set ups.

I tried using a softfone but the quality was very low, so I figure I need hardware.

I'll have to purchase the phone new so can I just get a Grandstream Budgetone and plug it into my modem. I checked out freespeech.ie's guides and it appears I need a router as well. What does a router do? And where can I get one?

What solution would you guys recommend? I don't want to spend a fortune but at the end of the day I want excellent voice quality.

If I've missed something out post and let me know.

Thanks,
    Colm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

I tried using a softfone but the quality was very low, so I figure I need hardware.

As a rule you'll get better quality with an ATA or IP Phone setup compared to a software one. However no hardware will make up for a poor Internet connection. What broadband package (& router) do you currently have?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Patricc

bhickey wrote:
    As a rule you'll get better quality with an ATA or IP Phone setup compared to a software one. However no hardware will make up for a poor Internet connection. What broadband package (& router) do you currently have?

Can anyone recommend a good IP phone. I have a Linksys WRT54GC Router so i was thinking of buying a cordless CIT200 Linksys IP phone but i am unsure if this will work with Skype only. i would ideally like a IP phone that i could use with skype and blue face as i have an account with both.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Colm_OReilly

What broadband package (& router) do you currently have?

I have ntl's 2MB package and I don't have a router - I don't even know the purpose of a router. I asked Blueface but like all their customer service to date it's been terrible so I'm asking here.

So do I need to upgrade my bb package as well? As I understand with an ATA you still need a router. Is there any point in buying an analog phone over an IP phone and going the ATA route?

Thanks guys,
    Colm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Most ATAs have a built in router so you probably wont need the two of them.

paulm17781 wrote:
    Most ATAs have a built in router so you probably wont need the two of them.
    But why would I get an ATA if I just need a router and an IP phone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

1. If you want have Internet access from more than one device (e.g. PC, ATA etc.) then you need something to plug each one of them into. Most routers have 4 or more LAN port that can be used to connect these multiple devices. Routers are also useful for protecting your network with built-in firewalls, NAT etc, so in general they're good things to have. Get one.

2. You won't get a single hardware device that will do both Skype and SIP so put that idea right out of your head.

3. Assuming you want to to continue using a PC but don't want to buy a router than you'd need a device that will connect to your NTL modem and still pass Internet traffic through (either in bridge or router mode). The Grandstream 486 will do this (I'm not sure if any other ATA's will) and you could connect a DECT handset to it for the wireless effect. Some IP phones offer a second RJ45 connection but not all do routing.

4. Read up a bit more on networking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Just to reiterate this: if you're getting poor results with a softphone, it's not going to get dramatically better with a hardware device. VoIP is very sensitive to the quality of the internet connection. I wouldn't bother spending any money on anything until you're happy with the softphone quality.

Just to reiterate this: if you're getting poor results with a softphone, it's not going to get dramatically better with a hardware device.

My problem seemed to be with the softfone before I even made calls. Even though I've a decent headphone, which recorded fine with Windows Audio Wizard and Sound Recorder, with X-Lite's Softfone's Audio Tuning Wizard it sounded crackly/hissy. From what I know this could be down to my machine, having too many processses running, not enough memory or whatever.

I've upgraded my ntl BB to 3MB so I can't see that being the problem.

Thanks everyone for your help,
    Colm

Advertisement