Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

blueface call quality

Options
  • 29-05-2006 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,630 ✭✭✭✭

I use blueface netgear setup , over a NTL broadband 1 MB . The quality of my phone calls is really poor a lot of the time, sometimes quality is ok . 50 - 50 between good and bad , has anyone else experienced call quality problems with blueface ? I would like to keep with them, but i need better overall quality , as i can't really use phone when this interference echoey feedback is kickin in -- so i just increase my mobile usage instead, which defeats the purpose of using the cheaper blueface call charges.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Well the first things to try out are the codec and QOS. Make sure that you're using the G729 codec. Also just try disconnecting everything else during a VoIP call to see if the quality improves. If it does then you may need to sort out some for of QOS to prioritise voice traffic on your Internet connection

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭fisab

You also might try pinging :
    1. sip.blueface.ie (blueface signal data)
    2. 194.213.29.1 (blueface voice data) - I think!!

using (-n 1000 option).
    If you are getting high pings and packet loss then your problem is with your broadband connection not blueface.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭lzbones

I would try a different provider sometimes they have different hops ( nice thing about VOIP ) - freespeech.ie and smart both offer free accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Blueface have a network test application which you can download and use to test the quality of your internet connection. See here:

http://forums.blueface.ie/showthread.php?t=9

The test takes 14 minutes to run, and analyses both upstream and downstream traffic.

You get an option to request Blueface tech support to analyse the results and respond to you with comments/recommendations. They came back to me within one day.

hth,

Pete.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭msmx5

Pete67 wrote:
    Blueface have a network test application which you can download and use to test the quality of your internet connection. See here:

http://forums.blueface.ie/showthread.php?t=9

The test takes 14 minutes to run, and analyses both upstream and downstream traffic.

Pete.

I've ran that app a number of time trying to establish what the "problem" is with my VOIP calls. I'm getting very bad uplink quality intermittantly. It appears that at peak times there is often signigicant packet loss on my NTL connection. Mostly noticed on calls from 4pm to Midnight but often during the day as well. I've eliminated any network issues on my side and the possibility of viruses or other apps using upstream bandwith.

I'll make another few tests and then approach NTL to see what they can do.

It amazing really though, because sometimes the voip quality is amazing even when there is other heavy internet activity on a PC connected to the same internet connection. It looks like my NTL connection is very inconsistent, unless of course Blueface have problems with their network that they're not telling us about.

• Advertisement
Advertisement