Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Front derailer troubles

Options
  • 29-05-2006 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭

Well,

My front derailer has not been working recently due to much road-gunk being stuck all over it. I finally decided to do something about it, so took it off and got an old toothbrush and soapy water, cleaned all the crap off it, sprayed penetrating graphite de-siezing spray on it, and some teflon lube after a while, and put it back on

It's stuck in the position that a fully taut cable puts it in (on the big cog), and when you let the slack off, it's not springing back to the lower cog. If i were to force it it will move, but it's as if either a) the spring isnt springy any more or b) there's too much silt in the joints

Anyone got any ideas on how to proceed. Aside from getting a new mech. Currently using Sora groupset

Appreciate any help,
    M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I'd be straight to my bike shop for something as serious as this. It might be an easy fix for them.

You can read about derailer adjustments at these sites which might provide some help.
    http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html#front
    http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=75

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭mockerydawg

Leave it sitting in a pool of diluted fast orange or muck off over night, maybe for longer. Rinse well and lubricate up, but by the sound of it the mech is knackered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭beans

I wonder if leaving it in a bowl of Cola would be a good idea. It shines up old pennies fairly well. I'd say it'd make short work of any matter that may have gotten in there

Or it would that be likely to force me to upgrade my groupset earlier than I'd like, ie wreck the mech completely?

I like to sort these things myself if at all possible, not that Parnell St haven't always done the business when called upon. Just like being self-reliant if at all possible

Advertisement