Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oral sex and STIs [was "might contain an offensive subject"]

Options
  • 29-05-2006 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

sorry to have to ask but im desperate--can you contract anything by giving a male oral pleasure>?? what if hes wearing protection???im really really desperate to know this thank you for your help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭ronanp

You can get a wonderful complexion from it alright, and a healthy glow...

(mods: it was worth it!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

If he is wearing protection what are u gonna contract an std from?
    The Rubber???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

Yes you can if he's not wearing protection

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Lol ronanp...

Yes you can contract STIs from oral sex wearing a condom will reduce the likelihood of contracting them (just like for vaginal intercourse). Just like vaginal intercourse, if the condom breaks then there is still a risk.

I heard reports that GPs were regularly finding syphillis and other diseases on the back on girl's throats (which are passed onto other partners then :( ).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

Thirdfox wrote:
    I heard reports that GPs were regularly finding syphillis and other diseases on the back on girl's throats (which are passed onto other partners then :( ).

Are you one of those so called "other partners" then???:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

No lol - the :( was indicating that this has become a bigger problem in recent years. Good old Catholic Ireland has discovered the forbidden pleasures of non-vaginal intercourse :eek: !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Oral sex without barrier protection is safer than penetrative vaginal and anal sex for some infections.

Going down on a man has a greater risk than going down on a woman (though a little lick along the shaft is probably actually safer than any oral act on a woman).

Blood-based infections (HIV, Hepatitis C) are highly unlikely to be passed orally, unless you have cuts or open sores in your mouth - it is normally considered to be a low-risk activity as far as those infections go (as long as you have no such cuts or sores), but is not risk-free. Some other infections are more easily passed orally.

Performing oral sex immediately after performing oral-anal sex can spread bacteria from the anus to the genitals. This is particularly easy to happen when performing oral sex on a woman. Performing oral-anal sex followed by oral sex followed by penetrative vaginal sex can result in such infections in either or both partners.

Barrier protection (condoms if performing oral sex on a man, dental dams if performing oral sex on a woman) reduces the risks of many infections, though it also reduces the sensation of a warm wet mouth on the genitals on the part of the person it is performed on and the person going down no longer has the taste and touch of the genitals (a good or bad thing, depending on how much you like giving head, and what you like about it).

Safer sex is not about absolutes (well, there is an absolute - abstinence is completely safe as far as infections go), but about knowing the risks and balancing them. Unprotected oral sex is safer than unprotected vaginal intercourse, but it is not as safe as oral sex with protection, which in turn is not 100% safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Bogey

ronanp wrote:
    You can get a wonderful complexion from it alright, and a healthy glow...

LMAO...

I hear a lot of desperation in your voice........are there symptoms of which we should be aware?

I mean besides a better complexion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

Talliesin wrote:
    Performing oral-anal sex followed by...

:eek:

*Shudder*

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

prude

• Advertisement

Talliesin wrote:
    Performing oral sex immediately after performing oral-anal sex can spread bacteria from the anus to the genitals. This is particularly easy to happen when performing oral sex on a woman. Performing oral-anal sex followed by oral sex followed by penetrative vaginal sex can result in such infections in either or both partners.

Wow.

I'm worn out just reading about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

SyxPak wrote:
    prude

Sorry but the fact that I don't have any interest in eating ass doesn't make me prudish. There's something about rimming that I just never really liked the idea of, mainly mouth/tongue+poo. In poker terms, we'd call that a -EV move.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

could you lot keep on topic or I'll start banning!
    B

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

As said, many infections can live in the throat and then be passed on.

You can catch chlamydia, warts, thrush, syphilis, HIV, gonorrhoea and herpes from giving oral sex without using a condom.

The risk to the (ahem) receiver would mainly be herpes unless, as a previous poster said, there were cuts.

For oral sex on a female, there are things called dental dams - basically triangular pieces of flavoured latex (like a flavoured condom) which offer barrier protection. Most people would just cut a flavoured condom down the side and use that, instead of trying to find them.

kittex wrote:
    You can catch chlamydia, warts, thrush, syphilis, HIV, gonorrhoea and herpes from giving oral sex without using a condom.

Most people would just cut a flavoured condom down the side and use that, instead of trying to find them.

Thrush? What is thrush?

Really? most people would just cut a flavored condom down the side? Frankly it wouldn't have ever occured to me.

But then I don't know what Thrush is: I appreciate you ingenouity, kittex.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

Well, when I say 'most people', I mean most people who would think to protect themselves.

Thrush is a yeast infection that can live in genitals, ears, mouth, throat...
    It can occur naturally and is not an STD as such. Basically, it is when the natural balance of yeasts etc in these places become overgrown. It is very, very common these days - women can get it from just using say too much bubble bath.

I work as a counsellor for teenagers part time, so we're trained in a lot of this stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

sorry to have to ask but im desperate--can you contract anything by giving a male oral pleasure>?? what if hes wearing protection???im really really desperate to know this thank you for your help

You can catch something from anything.

Maybe you should tell us what you are worried about specifically?

Does this guy have any STDs you know about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Bogey this is your final warning, off topic and unhelpf posts
    will get you banned from this forum.
    Go read the charter and the rules for posting here.
    Thaedydal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 physician

the answer is yes , if there is any part of the Male genitalia exposed a STI can be passed over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

ianmc38 wrote:
    Sorry but the fact that I don't have any interest in eating ass doesn't make me prudish. There's something about rimming that I just never really liked the idea of, mainly mouth/tongue+poo. In poker terms, we'd call that a -EV move.

Absolutely. It's hardly prudish to not want to stick your tongue where pooh comes from. That might seem conservative but I think it's far more conservative to just fall into line and engage unquestioningly in sexual practices that are perceived as the norm when in actual fact they're pretty disgusting to many people. Would you want to stick your tongue up someone's nostril?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Dudess wrote:
    Absolutely. It's hardly prudish to not want to stick your tongue where pooh comes from. That might seem conservative but I think it's far more conservative to just fall into line and engage unquestioningly in sexual practices that are perceived as the norm when in actual fact they're pretty disgusting to many people. Would you want to stick your tongue up someone's nostril?
    It's not prudish to not want to do this. It's prudish to go to the bother of commenting on this when what was asked about was the safety from an infection point of view of giving a man sexual pleasure orally. I don't know if the OP's sexual practice includes rimming. I don't care if the OP's sexual practice includes rimming. I do want the OP, and anyone who read it and wanted to know also, to have an answer to her question beyond the pointlessness of "the answer is yes , if there is any part of the Male genitalia exposed a STI can be passed over." from the ironically named "physician" - which tells us nothing more than "crossing the road can kill you", or "it's possible to point a shotgun at your head and pull the trigger and not be hurt". They're true statements, but of absolutely no value in evaluating the risks of something (strictly physician's statement is doubly useless, as it can be read with the implication that if the genitalia aren't exposed then the acts would be entirely safe, which isn't true either).

Incidentally, if someone does want to stick their tongue up someone's nostril, it's a relatively low-risk activity but can cause the spread of respitary and mucal infections, mostly of a type that are air-borne anyway.

Talliesin wrote:
    It's not prudish to not want to do this. It's prudish to go to the bother of commenting on this when what was asked about was the safety from an infection point of view of giving a man sexual pleasure orally. I don't know if the OP's sexual practice includes rimming. I don't care if the OP's sexual practice includes rimming. I do want the OP, and anyone who read it and wanted to know also, to have an answer to her question beyond the pointlessness of "the answer is yes , if there is any part of the Male genitalia exposed a STI can be passed over." from the ironically named "physician" - which tells us nothing more than "crossing the road can kill you", or "it's possible to point a shotgun at your head and pull the trigger and not be hurt". They're true statements, but of absolutely no value in evaluating the risks of something (strictly physician's statement is doubly useless, as it can be read with the implication that if the genitalia aren't exposed then the acts would be entirely safe, which isn't true either).

Incidentally, if someone does want to stick their tongue up someone's nostril, it's a relatively low-risk activity but can cause the spread of respitary and mucal infections, mostly of a type that are air-borne anyway.

*Gulp* Fair enough, and apologies.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Dudess wrote:

Tallisen was just trying to cover all the possiblities for Oral sex Dudess, as
    who knows who maybe reading this thread or finding it on search in months to come and we would not want them not knowing and ending up catching something .

Cool. My post was addressed to the person who called ianmc38 a prude (I wasn't trying to be nasty, btw). But I realise it's off-topic so sorry about that.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭X-SL

Talliesin's post was just as OT. As was this.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

X-SL wrote:
    Talliesin's post was just as OT. As was this.

Please read this forums charter.
    If you have a problem with a post, report it by clicking on the icon instead of bringing this thread off topic.
    B

Advertisement