Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying my first laptop-help needed!

Options
  • 28-05-2006 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

Ok so i'm looking for a fairly cheap laptop (500-800 euro). nothing too fancy. just wondering where i could find one for that price range. here are some rough specs id be looking for:

storage: 60gb
    processor: preferably above 1.5Ghz
    screen size: 15"-16" would suit me fine
    accesories: CD-RW (would be nice but not essential), at least one USB 2.0 port but preferably 2
    portability: decent battery life but i wouldnt be taking it out of the house much.

if you could point me in the right direction (stores, laptops your looking to sell etc) that would be good. cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Dell so a basic model for around the 400-450 mark. The specs vary from offer to offer but they usually revolve around the following roughly...

1.5 Celeron M cpu
    256mb Ram (sometimes 512)
    128mb integrated gfx
    Widescreen
    Cd-Rw/dvd-rom drive
    40gb hard drive

As I said the specs vary but thats a rough core of what their cheap model offers. Perfect for word processing, net browsing, listening to music, spreadsheets, playing older games, burning discs, watching movies.... that sort of thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭crimsonfire

As it turns out there was a special offer on a laptop in my local tescos. Made by a company called iQon. Apparently their an irish company.

I paid e999 for a notebook with the following specs (just to make sure i wasn't ripped off, which i am quite often, tell me if you think this is value for money):

Intel pentium M processor 725, 1.6ghz
    Win XP
    512mb ram
    60gb HD
    15.4" screen
    multi format DVDRW
    56k modem
    intel extreme 3d graphics
    intel pro wireless card
    TV out
    3 usb ports
    1 PCMCIA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

As it turns out there was a special offer on a laptop in my local tescos. Made by a company called iQon. Apparently their an irish company.

I paid e999 for a notebook with the following specs (just to make sure i wasn't ripped off, which i am quite often, tell me if you think this is value for money):

Intel pentium M processor 725, 1.6ghz
    Win XP
    512mb ram
    60gb HD
    15.4" screen
    multi format DVDRW
    56k modem
    intel extreme 3d graphics
    intel pro wireless card
    TV out
    3 usb ports
    1 PCMCIA

Its not great really to be honest. It could be worse though to be fair, but it could be alot better. For 999 from Dell you'd have gotten a better machine....not a whole lot better mind, but a bit better, and that included a 3yr cover plan...

Ah well, tis bought now, enjoy it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭mirv

I'd say you got ripped fairly badly. It's two cpu/chipset generations behind the core and i945 series, and if you had gotten the Dell 6400, you might stand a chance at running some games with the GMA 950 unlike with Intel Extreme 2. With double the ram, and a dvd burner to boot too :/

If you can, avail of the 30 day moneyback thingy.

Advertisement