Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So who wants an ultraportable??

Options
  • 28-05-2006 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭

Im in the market to get a new ultra portable so obviously id have to do my reserch on a decent portable.
    So one site im on I noticed in the US they intend on realeasing a new dell ultra portable.
    It doesnt look half bad.

http://www.notebookforums.com/showthread.php?t=149070

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Hmm not bad - its not exactly going to have an ultraportable battery life and weight with those specs tho.

More of a gamer/ultraportable hybrid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

sceptre should be able to give some more info on the dell lappys. Drop her a pm :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

enlighten me, does she work for dell?

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭TommyGun

Sparky-s wrote:
    I'm in the market to get a new ultra portable so obviously id have to do my research on a decent portable.
    So one site I'm on I noticed in the US they intend on realeasing a new dell ultra portable.
    It doesnt look half bad.

http://www.notebookforums.com/showthread.php?t=149070

Sparky,
    I have the ultra portable Dell X1, I find it good, but you would only want it for travel or as a back up for your main system.

I also have very portable D410 which is a great balance between size and performance.

TommyGun wrote:
    Sparky,
    I have the ultra portable Dell X1, I find it good, but you would only want it for travel or as a back up for your main system.

I have an X1 as my main system. The only niggles are the lack of a PCMCIA slot and a slightly dull screen.

I believe the newer ones might have one of the new shiny screens though. Atleast the last generation Sammy Q30 it was based on does. Although that also has a pcmcia slot.

I was looking at the New Dell to see if was based on the New Q30 but it appears different.

• Advertisement

I have an X1 as my main system. The only niggles are the lack of a PCMCIA slot and a slightly dull screen.

I believe the newer ones might have one of the new shiny screens though. Atleast the last generation Sammy Q30 it was based on does. Although that also has a pcmcia slot.

I was looking at the New Dell to see if was based on the New Q30 but it appears different.

The X1 is Samsung designed with alot of changes to the Q30, The LCD is different (not as good), there is only one speaker etc.

The X1 replacement will not be a Samsung designed laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭Doodee

Acer are releasing a Ferrari Ultraportable.
    The Ferrari 1000.
    Has a dual Core Turion (x2).

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Im really looking for something thats small, lightweight and can run the usual apps like IE, firefox Word excell etc.
    Nothing thats really powerfull :D

Sparky-s wrote:
    Im really looking for something thats small, lightweight and can run the usual apps like IE, firefox Word excell etc.
    Nothing thats really powerfull :D

The X1 of the D410 should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭maidhc

I have the x300 (predecessor to the x1). It is really small and light, but its battery life of 2 hours and lack of integrated optical drive means I tend to take my Latitude D610 more and more these days. You really do need at least 4 hours from an ultraportable for them to make sense, and very few can do that.

The Samsung manufactured x300 is far less reliable than Dell's own D610.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭tippguy2

hi
    anyone know if the xps m1210 with intregrated graphics can be upgraded to a nvidia 7400 at a later stage

what i mean is does it have the slot as standard, or is the m1210 with the nvidia dedicated graphics card a different motherboard ?
    thanks
    ger

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Sengoku79

yep would love to get my hands on one

have been looking at in no specific order of pref

Samsung Q35
    http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/Samsung_Q35_NP-Q35T001-SUK/version-1.asp

or the

Acer TM3012
    http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/Acer_TravelMate_3012WTMi_LX.TAT06.043/version-1.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Sparky-s wrote:
    enlighten me, does she work for dell?
    Sceptre's a bloke. Kaimera's asking for that room he'll want to be occupying come September in that house I can gain access to to be painted a nice shade of bright luminous green and decorated with posters of top camogie stars over the summer.

If you're looking at light Dell laptops I'd wait until the end of this month before buying. What's coming out may be to your taste, then again it may not but I'm not buying anything till I see hard prices.

The Freestyle X51 from Philips may be worth a look. About 1.8kilos, comes with an optical drive which I could do without, no bluetooth but a dongle will come in at about a tenner and it's rather cheaper than the nearest Dell equivalent (currently the D410). It's been out a wee while though. As you may have noticed if you've been looking, all the Latitude Dx10 models have been replaced recently except for the D410.

As for the Samsung, as I've said before, for me the Samsung Q30 / Dell X1, while nice machines and ultra-light, are overpriced, given that they're pretty much at the same price point they were a year ago (especially the Dell X1). The more recent upgrades to the Q30 are nice though, there's another thread about that somewhere. The Q35 is lovely, although it comes in at 1.9 kilos and isn't really a straight upgrade of the Q30 (again, the built-in optical drive isn't something I give a crap about, ideally I want ultra-portability in a package that weighs next to nothing). I'm going to consider the Q35 though, because while the screen is only 12.1 inches (which is all I want in any case) it's one of those nice bright screens that the previous Dell model lacked, it's far better priced than the Q30 and I can probably cope with the Fn key being where the ctrl key really should be because the battery life is apparently fantastic so I can carry it around all day or take it to the park.
    tippguy2 wrote:
    hi
    anyone know if the xps m1210 with intregrated graphics can be upgraded to a nvidia 7400 at a later stage

what i mean is does it have the slot as standard, or is the m1210 with the nvidia dedicated graphics card a different motherboard ?
    thanks
    ger
    The latter. Personally I don't tend to play games that require a very good graphics card so it wouldn't bother me (actually given the price difference between the two models I'd be rather glad of the crap graphics option) but that thought you've got going on in your head is something you can just abandon. I don't really like the look of the m1210, I hate the retro media buttons but it's light and comes at a reasonable price point. Bit odd walking around with something labelled "XPS" that doesn't really count as an XPS if one went for the lesser endowed model graphics-wise though (personally I think it will tend to devalue the brand somewhat in that regard, well-featured as the machine may be at the lower price point as some people (I call them idiots but that's just me) like the fact that a big "XPS" logo (or Ferrari red) on their portable machine shows the plebs that they've laid out some extra cash, though of course these guys are in the minority, I hope). I'd think about it and I probably will but it does look a bit industrial to me.

The funniest thing I've found about the m1210 is the amount of extra wonga the integrated webcam option costs. Not cheap. You'd really want to be either image-conscious or actually use it a lot to warrant the webcam option.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Thank god sceptre's a bloke. I was quite frantic for the few seconds it took me to scroll down from kaimera's post.

Must admit my perfect ultra portable would be an X1 with brighter screen (maybe higher res too) , a PC card slot and 8hrs battery life.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Do laptops come with eight hours battery life?

Would be quite handy if your office was a field in the middle of nowhere I guess. Archaeology! teach.gif

CuLT wrote:
    Do laptops come with eight hours battery life?

The only ones that get close (around 6-7) are the sony's afaik.

Intels UMPC spec calls for a 8 hr battery life but its a bit of a pipe dream at because they specifically call for XP, where a better bet would be Windows Mobile, which can do most of the basic PC tasks these days....

Advertisement