Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations: US shows over Summer months..

Options
  • 28-05-2006 1:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 43,803 ✭✭✭✭

Now that all the series are over in the US.. no more 'Lost', 'Prison Break', '24' (etc)!

.. any recommendations on any shows starting over the Summer in the US worth catching?

I can't recommend 'Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia' enough which is starting it's 2nd season in the US next month as far as i know.

And i'm just after learning 'Rescue Me' is starting it's 3rd season on Tuesday.

But anything new catch anyone's eye?

Here's the place to put it..!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Trailer Park Boys!

Usually on Paramount but some episodes available free on Google Video

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

"Rescue Me" is back this week? Wuhoo! Something to watch - I've almost been rationing the last of the US tv series to try and hold me out.

Only other shows I know of are SG-1 and SG:A, but that's in July. Before that I reckon I'll have to hit some old series or those series I never got to fully watching (including "My Name is Earl" - only seen 6 episodes, "Everybody Hates Chris" - only seen 8, the US version of "The Office" - only seen 3, and "Monk" - seen none).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

ixoy wrote:
    "Rescue Me" is back this week? Wuhoo! Something to watch - I've almost been rationing the last of the US tv series to try and hold me out.

Only other shows I know of are SG-1 and SG:A, but that's in July. Before that I reckon I'll have to hit some old series or those series I never got to fully watching (including "My Name is Earl" - only seen 6 episodes, "Everybody Hates Chris" - only seen 8, the US version of "The Office" - only seen 3, and "Monk" - seen none).
    That's definitely one of my favourite series so far this year... fanstastic stuff:)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,803 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Starting into 'House' myself for the Summer months - 2 episodes in... good but far from remarkable. Hope it gets better as i've heard amazing things!

Also 1/3 of the way through '24 - Day 3'.. planned to have catch up before the start of Day 6.

Quit after 8 or so episodes of 'Everybody Hates Chris' myself.. horribly cliched comedy!

Am just trying to scour through TV.com to find any new shows starting over the Summer..

.. just found this - Psych..
    PSYCH follows Shawn Spencer (James Roday) who has developed a keen eye for detail after being instructed by his police officer father to note even the most minute details of his surroundings. After Shawn calls in a tip on a crime to the police, he is actually accused of committing the crime. To try to clear his name, Shawn convinces the police that he is a psychic and he begins solving cases for the police force.
    Meh! :o

EDIT: And yes, i have to agree with tman! 'My Name Is Earl' is without doubt the best comedy this year and definantly one of my favourite new series this year.. along with 'Prison Break' of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

The Sopranos is still going if you have any interest in it. Next episode (episode 12) is June 4th (next Sunday).

• Advertisement

Makaveli wrote:
    The Sopranos is still going if you have any interest in it. Next episode (episode 12) is June 4th (next Sunday).
    Yes but that's the last episode of this half of the season so it's not really going to last the Summer is it?
    The final seven won't then air until January '07.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Battlestar Galactica should be kicking off again soon, I think.

Otherwise, not much comes to mind. Maybe Monk.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

BSG is not back until October I think.

The new season of the Dead Zone is back soon...good show.

And the 4400.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Deadwood is starting Season 3 in June. Not only is it great, but it's also the sweariest program on telly, bless those profane souls in HBO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Robot Chicken!

Also heard good things about "Reno 911", it's like Cops only funnier. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

Another vote for Robot Chicken.

I thought The 4400 was cancelled?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,467 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Here is a grid of the summer schedules: http://homepage.mac.com/ijball/ratv/articles/05-06/summer-06-grid.html

3rd season of The 4400 is starting on June 11th with a double episode.
    Entourage is back on 11th June.
    Dead Zone is back on 18th June.
    Stephen Kings Nightmares and Dreamscapes is on July 12th.
    Stargate SG1 and Atlantis are back on 14th July.
    Battlestar Galactica is not back until October 30th.

One of my favourite shows, ReGenesis, is almost finished Season 2. Very clever adult drama about a lab that solves mysteries surrounding virii, contagions, diseases (and the odd conspiracy). Well acted, and scary (in that this is not scifi, its based on fact). Worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭ElNino

Anyone seen The Unit? It has been getting quite good reviews stateside. I am wondering if it is worth getting my American "cousins" to send it to me.

ElNino wrote:
    Anyone seen The Unit? It has been getting quite good reviews stateside. I am wondering if it is worth getting my American "cousins" to send it to me.
    Heard it's quite bad... the words which keep surfacing in reviews i've been reading have been "corny" and "schmaltzy"

:rolleyes:

Oh and thanks for the excellent link, TmB. Did a bit of reading on the shows and like the sound of 'Saved'..
    “Saved” chronicles medical school dropout turned paramedic Wyatt Cole (Tom Everett Scott) , who finds the breakneck pace of his 24-hour shift a welcome escape from his inner demons.

.. 'Windfall':
    Money changes everything. Have you ever wondered what it would feel like to become a millionaire overnight? A group of 20 friends and acquaintances is about to find that out as they win $386 million in lottery on NBC's hot summer drama, Windfall . At the heart of the events is a close-knit group of four friends.

.. and 'Eureka':
    The sleepy Pacific Northwest town of Eureka is hiding a mysterious secret. The government has been relocating the world’s geniuses and their families to this rustic town for years where innovation and chaos have lived hand in hand. U.S. Marshall Jack Carter (Colin Ferguson) stumbles upon this odd town after wrecking his car and becoming stranded there. When the denizens of the town unleash an unknown scientific creation, Carter jumps in to try to restore order and consequently learns of one of the country’s best kept secrets.

I've actually quite enjoyed "The Unit". It's certainly not too schmaltzy - sure they focus on the base wives, but they're not all that irritating. The actual missions are fairly well done - not amazing - but with good production values and reasonable authenticity. Of the new dramas, I actually think it's quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,467 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Another bump for The Unit. Its a really good show, with a good cast (Dennis Haysbert is cool as f**k) :) The SERE episode was fantastic TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Huff is on it's second season in the states and the first was excellent. Some great acting and storylines. Much better than overhyped 'house.'

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Ivan wrote:
    I thought The 4400 was cancelled?
    Nope, it's returning (US) on sunday week (11th)
    Basq, if you haven't watched it I really recommend you pick up series 1 (only 5 episodes, €20-€25 euro is what it seems to go for). Series two is out on dvd on the 5th, so if you did fall in love with it, you'd have nearly a week to get all of season 2 in ya before season 3 kicks off :)

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭tracert

Been watching the Unit recently. I'm up to episode 7 and it's been pretty good so far.

Hell, it's a Shawn Ryan and David Mamet series starring Dennis Haysbert and Robert Patric(k)- couldn't be too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

The 4400 is great. The first season is only 5 episodes and not that good but give the second season (12 episodes) a chance and by the time it's finished you'll love it! I actually have to rewatch it because i've nearly forgotten it's been so long.

Rescue Me is another favourite of mine. Great script and acting, perfect blend of comedy and drama, very highly recommended show and the 3rd season starts soon with another 13 episode run \o/

• Advertisement

Nope, it's returning (US) on sunday week (11th)
    Basq, if you haven't watched it I really recommend you pick up series 1 (only 5 episodes, €20-€25 euro is what it seems to go for). Series two is out on dvd on the 5th, so if you did fall in love with it, you'd have nearly a week to get all of season 2 in ya before season 3 kicks off :)
    Mate of mine was very much into it.. i watched an episode or two and i didn't think much but will give it another go!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Nobodys Mentioned Grey's Anatomy ...it's brilliant :D

Nobodys Mentioned Grey's Anatomy ...it's brilliant :D
    Ah yeah.. seen all them!

Excellent show.. very few slip-up's or poor episodes during it's two seasons. Season finale was a bore though!

However that Superbowl episode (with
    Christina Ricci and the bomb
    ) was definantly one of the best episodes this year.

Robbo wrote:
    Deadwood is starting Season 3 in June. Not only is it great, but it's also the sweariest program on telly, bless those profane souls in HBO.

Not sure why you would be blessing HBO after they cancelled Deadwood without giving it a proper ending,just like with Carnivale...HBO are going down the road of FOX.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

tvnutz wrote:
    Not sure why you would be blessing HBO after they cancelled Deadwood without giving it a proper ending,just like with Carnivale...HBO are going down the road of FOX.

I was reading on darkhorizons.com that HBO seem to have copped on about Carnivale. Apparently they're planning to wrap things up in a couple of tv movies. And if the movies do well they'll pick it up for a full series again.

And all these dates you're giving, are they US or Irish dates? Or both?

On the recommendations of everyone here.. got the two seasons of 'The 4400'

Watched the feature length pilot last night - good enough to keep me entertained. Wasn't hugely bowled over by it but it is only the pilot.

Will watch the rest and let you know what i think.

PS - but i am getting a very "convoluted X-Men" vibe off it... i hope this isn't the case!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

basquille wrote:
    On the recommendations of everyone here.. got the two seasons of 'The 4400'

Watched the feature length pilot last night - good enough to keep me entertained. Wasn't hugely bowled over by it but it is only the pilot.

Will watch the rest and let you know what i think.

PS - but i am getting a very "convoluted X-Men" vibe off it... i hope this isn't the case!
    It was still finding its feet in the first season....the second is far superior and it really starts to hook you in. It becomes less about individual returnees' stories and more about the overall picture.

Bas,4400 is quite good. I enjoyed the pilot but the rest of season 1 was actually poor. I considered not watching season 2,but I am gald I did because it improved on season 1 A LOT. it was very good.

As for Carnivale,I doubt HBO will do any movies,and from what i here the creator wouldn't want to do it,I think he had the story planned out over 6 seasons,and he doesn't want to cram that into a 2 hour movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

Nothing on the list of summer shows has me too interested. Although I might give the 4400 a go. I saw about 3 episodes of the first season and thought it was ok.

I'm planning on watching a few shows that I've seen some episodes but never got a chance to watch fully.
    Boston Legal, Bones and Battlestar Galactica.

And for anyone that hasn't seen it I highly recommend My Name is Earl. This is one of the best comedies I've seen in a while.

• Advertisement

Hmmm so you're promising me that the second season of "The 4400s" is a lot better? Because the first was very poor - too much Mutant-of-the-Week syndrome to it, like something out of "The X-Files" or "Smallville".

Does the second season have a more sustained arc or something? That whole village at the end of S1 didn't seem that interesting.

Advertisement