Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

being comfortable with your body

Options
  • 27-05-2006 10:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

i have never been happy with my appearence...since i was a child of maybe 10. its getting me down a lot these days. my list is long and tedious, so i wont bore you. but does any one know how i can get out of this rut? i know im not and never will be 'pretty' or 'hot' but i want to at lest feel comfortable to go swimming (where i havent been in years). many people will dismiss this, butit has resorted me to makin myself throw up, starving myself and excessive exercise. but none of them last long because i just binge then. or does anyone know i good website? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

oh petal please please dont starve yourself or throw up, .however you feel about yourself that wont help. I know it seems easy to say but ive been there and know how you feel, ive done it too.
    No one is ever totally happy with their appearance but everyone has theyre good features. Decide yours and dress to flatter your best features. Maybe go get a haircut? sounds silly I know but getting your hair done can make ya feel great!
    Its all bout the confidence. Look in the mirror and say out loud to yourself what you like about you. Say them often enough and you'll believe it, trust me!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Don't binge. Just eat different "healthier foods" and have a reasonable amount of exercise. If its nervous eating then take up a hobby like making jigsaws etc to distract you.

Smoking might help you lose weight but it could also make you look worse in other areas so don't be tempted by it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Believe it or not, its not that hard to stay healthy. You dont have to bust yourself doing exercise either :) There is a combination of smarter choices when eating, but you must have some discipline. Have a look here. Lots of great ideas and neat features. This is coming from someone who is always obsessing about weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Just eat healthy foods and get some moderate excercise, like walking or cycling. Minimise your sugar intake (may be hard at first but it will become quite easy).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Don't start smoking whatever you do!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

why do you say stop smoking? does it encourage people to put on weight? or did u mean generally that its just bad for health?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Spliffany692000

Talk to your parents...
    Would you not think of going on a sensible diet or taking up a stenous hobby? My sister joined kicked boxing in January and since then the weight has just fallen off her!! Or what about joining weight watchers?? Just dont starve your self...I was bulemic before and its a nasty cycle!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Bluebells

I really think that finding ways to loose weight is the least of your worries. You should be sorting out the root of the problem. Google eating dissorders and im sure you'll find people who can help you. Im sure your a beautifull, average person, people come in a lot of different shapes. If you keep obsessing about food it will just make you want to binge eat. Everyone should do some light exercise and try not to eat too much fast food/sugary food but its your mental state id be worried about. Maybe talk to a councillor or family about how your feeling?? Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

why do you say stop smoking? does it encourage people to put on weight? or did u mean generally that its just bad for health?
    smoking reduces your appetite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

If you strave yourself, your skin, hair, nails etc will deteriorate making you uglier. The extreme options don't work - you have to make sustainable changes to your lifestyle - improve your diet, get more exercise and so on but it shouldn't feel like constant punishment.

But, really I imagine you'd benefit from counselling or sth too to get out of your rut.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I'm straving, so I am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭DOLEMAN

Why not slowly create an entire lifestyle change? Not the BS extreme diet nonsense, but slow changes like removing sugary food, then salty food etc etc. It might take about 2 or 3 years to get the body you want, but you'll be able to keep that body forever, because the new you is real and not a fad.

If going to the gym is not your thing you could join a team sport? You'll kind of be forced to participate which is a good thing if you have no will power...

At the end of the day, only you can change yourself. If you want to stop being depressed, start making slow changes. You'll be less likely to screw things up.

/PS I'm a little tipsy so sorry if my wording is weird

Advertisement