Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

feeling low

Options
  • 27-05-2006 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

ok hear goes...
    for the last few months i have been feeling really low in myself but especially when it comes to my body image. i feel so stupid writing this because i know im not over weight but when i look it the mirror or if my jeans feel a little tight i feel so down. its causing me to be very emotional and i become very unreasonable and over react to the smallest of things(mostly with my boyfriend).some times i will starve myself for the day but then i will pig out on junk food. i like to think of myself as an intelligent person and i know that this kind of behaviour is stupid but i cant seem to control it. can anyone offer some positive advice as i do not have anyone else to talk to

thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

can anyone offer some positive advice as i do not have anyone else to talk to
    I'm not being smart or anything, but your GP certainly counts as someone to talk to... he/she'd be able to identify an eating disorder/depression/whatever... I know it costs money, but it beats advice from internet crackpots and armchair psychologists who only have a paragraph to go on. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

If you are in college then there should be free counselling service (and in TCD free medicial care) if you need it.

Do let as many people know about it as you can, keeping it to yourself can be dangerous psychologically and physically.

This is what I believe, not medical advice btw.

Hope you'll feel better soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭ST*

Unreg2219 wrote:
    ok hear goes...
    for the last few months i have been feeling really low in myself but especially when it comes to my body image. i feel so stupid writing this because i know im not over weight but when i look it the mirror or if my jeans feel a little tight i feel so down. its causing me to be very emotional and i become very unreasonable and over react to the smallest of things(mostly with my boyfriend).some times i will starve myself for the day but then i will pig out on junk food. i like to think of myself as an intelligent person and i know that this kind of behaviour is stupid but i cant seem to control it. can anyone offer some positive advice as i do not have anyone else to talk to
    thank you

Go to your doctor, and tell him / her everything you have just said. There seems to be a pattern forming there, and you need to start talking to someone about it, the sooner the better.

You said you were feeling low in yourself in general before mentioning your body image - go over these other matters in your head. What else in your life is bothering you, and can you change it? You need to become motivated and start creating positives yourself, but make sure you get to your GP about this. Don't feel silly telling him / her about all this, it is taken quite seriously, and they are trained not to judge.

Best of luck OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I just want to tell you not to worry so much. I was in the same boat, I would starve myself for the day and then buy a tub of pringles and biscuits or something and pig out until I felt sick. I even tried to make myself sick once or twice because I was so disgusted with what I had done. I'm slightly over weight but I've learned to lose weight in a healthier way. I have joined a gym and it's going really well, I just try to eat well, maybe a bag of chips at the weekend though as a treat. Cheer up though, unless you're very worried of course, but all women feel like that sometimes, but we're never as bad as we think we are in our own heads. Just be happy and healthy make the time to exercise, oh and at least you have a boyfriend that's always good, I've been single for three years which is why I got really down, but I've learned that there's more to life now. I know it's cliche but there is always somebody a lot worse off than you. Be grateful for what you have and who you have around you.

Advertisement