Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Theme from concerto problem

• 27-05-2006 2:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭

Hi, i'm trying to learn a piece i have called 'Concerto - Theme in B Flat' by Tschaikowsky. There a part where i think the right hand is supposed to swap over with the left hand. r.h. appears over the bass cleft part and l.h. appears over the treble cleft part on the sheet music. The only problem i have is i dont know for how long this swap is supposed to take place. There is no symbol saying when this transition is finished.
    Am I supposed to know intuitively when to swap back? I this normal for a piece not to tell the musician when to swap back or how does it normally work?
    If anyone plays this piece and could tell me how they play it would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks.:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭HusseinSarhan

Switch back whenever possible. Usually it's just a small overlap to facilitate a large jump. Playing cross-handed I can't imagine being ideal, so yeah, probably just a quick transition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 kaycrawford

First, what edition of the piece are you using? And could you give me the bar number that the swap occurs in?

Try and obtain an Urtext edition if possible. Alot of concerto arrangements are filled with confusing editorial mistakes and while these may seem to "simplify" a well known piece of music, they invariably become more confusing!

If you could give me the edition and/or bar number I would be happy to help you!

Kay

www.pianolessonsdublin.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

First, what edition of the piece are you using? And could you give me the bar number that the swap occurs in?

Try and obtain an Urtext edition if possible. Alot of concerto arrangements are filled with confusing editorial mistakes and while these may seem to "simplify" a well known piece of music, they invariably become more confusing!

If you could give me the edition and/or bar number I would be happy to help you!

Kay

www.pianolessonsdublin.com

Hey Kay,
    thanks for replying. The edition i have is pretty old first of all. it seems to have been in my family for years. It even still has the price tag on it, only cost 15p from waltons!!
    But anyway its part of the Lilac Series of World Famous Classics. It's issue no. 8. The full name given is 'Concerto Theme in B Flat'. Well the r.h. appears first at the end of bar 30, then the l.h. appears at the start of bar 31. It also says 'melodia ben marcato'. I think this means melody well emphasised or attacked? My guess is that hands only swap over for 12 bars, because the bass cleft part gets a bit more complicated then.

I dont have a Urtext edition sorry, this is the first time Ive heard of it tbh. Did a quick google though and it looks pretty interesting!

If you have any thought I'd love to hear them! thanks

Advertisement