Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fall on BBC4 right now

Options
  • 26-05-2006 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭

Documentary on Mark E Smith and his many, many merry men and women. Some great archive footage.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Damn dont have BBC4
    Great band though Im slowly working my way through their intimidating discography got my 24th Fall album at the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

It was quite good. Not earth shattering but the archive footage was deadly. Some interviews with Mark E Smith but apart from the swearing I couldn't understand a word of what he was saying.

I'm on a whopping three Fall albums. A long way to go. Although I'm glad I've only gotten around to buying their albums recently now that most of them have been reissued with bonus discs. Fancy the Peel Sessions boxset next. I figure it will give me an idea of what Fall eras to tackle.

Did you see the special on The Fall in the Wire last month or the month before? It was quite good, especially for the likes of me who's ignorant of most of their back catalogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Just got the compilation CD, '50,000 Fall Fans Can't Be Wrong' recently... still in the process of digesting it. It's interesting, to say the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Fancy the Peel Sessions boxset next
    Great colecttion 8 Hours of the fall what more do you want
    it even included a near christmas aperance by the band which features "Hark the hearald angel sing" and "Jingle Bell Rock"
    Did you see the special on The Fall in the Wire last month or the month before? It was quite good, especially for the likes of me who's ignorant of most of their back catalogue.

Yeah I did nothing new in it but as you said a decent rundown of the albums and it did encorage me to get some of the 90's albums I was missing as I eas told it was a hit and miss period the ones ive since gotten have been great.
    Just got the compilation CD, '50,000 Fall Fans Can't Be Wrong' recently... still in the process of digesting it. It's interesting, to say the least.

yes and that compilation is mainly straight ahead singles Fall its doesnt have many of the great rambeling meadering Fall that can be so great

also Mark E. Smith is a great man for the quotes
    "If its me and your gran on bongos its a Fall gig"
    "Musisions are the lowest form of life"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

What three albums do you have John?

The Peel Sessions box is amazing. Isn't that expensive online.

The Fall have been my favourite band for 21 years now. Ever since I got This Nation's Saving Grace for Christmas in 1985.

The Sanctuary reissues are very well done. Previous CD versions have sucked. Next up are The Twenty Seven Points (live LP, 1996) and 2001's Are You Are Missing Winner.

Hopefully the six Beggars Banquet albums will get a spruce-up soon. Discussions are ongoing.

• Advertisement

I've got Live at the Witch Trials, Grotesque and Fall Heads Roll. I got Grotesque first on the strength of "How I Wrote Elastic Man", great song!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

John2 wrote:
    I've got Live at the Witch Trials, Grotesque and Fall Heads Roll. I got Grotesque first on the strength of "How I Wrote Elastic Man", great song!

I'd recommend
    Slates (1981)
    Hex Enduction Hour (1982)
    Perverted By Language (1983)
    Fall In A Hole (Live album from 1982)
    The Infotainment Scan (1993)

next.

all have been reissued by Sanctuary.

I thank you and my wallet curses you.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭mcdonut

This is a great article about the former fall members.....

http://arts.guardian.co.uk/features/story/0,11710,1678307,00.html

Enjoy...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,516 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Saw that article before. 'Tis good.

I don't know how many Fall albums I have (I'd say in the mid-30's). The Peel Sessions box-set is soon to be bought (although I have some of them already...)

• Advertisement
Advertisement