Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Waio Laptop

Options
  • 26-05-2006 5:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭

I'm looking into buying a Sony Waio laptop. I would be using it for basic things, i.e. internet, iTunes, media, etc.-nothing special. What is the basic Waio laptop model?If anyone has prices that would also help.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

AJ! wrote:
    I'm looking into buying a Sony Waio laptop. I would be using it for basic things, i.e. internet, iTunes, media, etc.-nothing special. What is the basic Waio laptop model?If anyone has prices that would also help.

You dont exactly overwork yourself do you?:rolleyes:

http://vaio.sony-europe.com/ShowProductCategory.do?referer=http://www.sony.ie/view/ShowProductCategory.action?site=odw_en_IE&site=ite_en_GB&category=VAIO+Notebooks

http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/shop/db.cgi?view=1&id=433&type=5&path=14x164

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭AJ!

The entry level model is the VGN-FS485B. Would you say this is the one to go for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

I would advise against getting a Vaio. I got the A417 last year, around 10 months ago.

I added an extra 1GB RAM straight away to make it 1.25GB (the base is 2x256MB slots, so you have to lose one 256MB).

The problems I have had are entirely related to quality of the build:

1. The ALT Key: left hand side, broke off it's plastic hook a few months after purchase. No hard battering of it was done, it's now loose and that sucks for Alt-Tabbing

2. The dark black plastic surround of the keyboard: it started peeling off a few months ago at the bottom right of the keyboard next to the arrow keys

3. The area where you would rest your left palm while typing to left of the trackpad: this has a dark discolouration since around 6 months ago. I think the CPU or HD is underneath. Again, not a problem with the functioning at all, but it looks shoddy and is probably due to low quality plastic in the case heating up there.

4. Trackpad: I got a wireless bluetooth mouse with the system, but I rarely use it as it is inaccurate and irritating. The trackpad has on regular occasions stopped responding for example, a few seconds, and then work again. It is unrelated to HD access or lack of resources. Again, just seems shoddy building.

Good points: the screen is the best on the market by far. I still use it because it's perfect, no dead pixels and is really a jow to view with browsing, movies, gaming, everything.

Also, the software included is quite good for photo and home movie making, provided you don't expect to be Bruckheimer.

My issues with the Vaio are purely with the build quality, not with the system functioning, as it works great with my bluetooth phone and Sony camera.

They also look fantastic. If you are set on getting one, DIxons in Birmingham airport have them at very large reductions (e.g., almost 400 euros cheaper for the new TX models when I was there a few weeks ago).

If I was to get a new laptop, it would be a Mac most likely. The battery in my one also blows, I understand the new small Vaios are rated for 6-7 hours. If the build quality improves, I would recommend them easily.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I would advise against getting a Vaio. I got the A417 last year, around 10 months ago.

I added an extra 1GB RAM straight away to make it 1.25GB (the base is 2x256MB slots, so you have to lose one 256MB).

The problems I have had are entirely related to quality of the build:

1. The ALT Key: left hand side, broke off it's plastic hook a few months after purchase. No hard battering of it was done, it's now loose and that sucks for Alt-Tabbing

2. The dark black plastic surround of the keyboard: it started peeling off a few months ago at the bottom right of the keyboard next to the arrow keys

3. The area where you would rest your left palm while typing to left of the trackpad: this has a dark discolouration since around 6 months ago. I think the CPU or HD is underneath. Again, not a problem with the functioning at all, but it looks shoddy and is probably due to low quality plastic in the case heating up there.

4. Trackpad: I got a wireless bluetooth mouse with the system, but I rarely use it as it is inaccurate and irritating. The trackpad has on regular occasions stopped responding for example, a few seconds, and then work again. It is unrelated to HD access or lack of resources. Again, just seems shoddy building.

Good points: the screen is the best on the market by far. I still use it because it's perfect, no dead pixels and is really a jow to view with browsing, movies, gaming, everything.

Also, the software included is quite good for photo and home movie making, provided you don't expect to be Bruckheimer.

My issues with the Vaio are purely with the build quality, not with the system functioning, as it works great with my bluetooth phone and Sony camera.

They also look fantastic. If you are set on getting one, DIxons in Birmingham airport have them at very large reductions (e.g., almost 400 euros cheaper for the new TX models when I was there a few weeks ago).

If I was to get a new laptop, it would be a Mac most likely. The battery in my one also blows, I understand the new small Vaios are rated for 6-7 hours. If the build quality improves, I would recommend them easily.

If it is less than a year old why have you not returned it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Why a SONY at all, one wonders? Plenty of better options out there that will be much better value for money ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭AJ!

What about the iBook? Would they be better than a Waio? All I really want is the basic stuff (Internet, iTunes, Video etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

dub45 wrote:
    If it is less than a year old why have you not returned it?
    Sony won't take it back without a long and tough fight; unless they are known issues. Although, I don't remember hearing about anyone else with these problems with the A4 series. As for the issue with the key, they will send a new key and clip via normal mail; this may help.

AJ! : It's VAIO, not WAIO. Both a VAIO and an iBOOK would meet the requirements listed. As would a Dell, and Acer ... as well as being significantly cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭LunaC

ambro25 wrote:
    Why a SONY at all, one wonders? Plenty of better options out there that will be much better value for money ;)

What he said, if it's for running basic operations why not get a cheaper model that will suit your needs?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Vinneyboy

I bought a sony vaio a417 last september and have had no problems what so ever. I would have no problem recommending sony to any one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

i have a sony VGN-A217M and its the best laptop i have ever had.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

my next lappt(end of summer) is defo gonna be a sony, they're so damn sexy and great screens(lots of photoshop for me). for a desktop i dont care what it looks like as long as its insides kick ass, a lappy ....its gotta look kick ass and be 'ok' inside. apples aren't my cuppa tea espesically the new ibm crop , id give the first few models a widr birth til they iron out the bugs, and dells are as common as muck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

i have mysels a vgn-fe11m and have had no problems so far, apart from keys sticking, but give then a good push down and their grand again.

if your gonna do just basic things dont go for a viao. get a advent or whatever, as sony charge high prices partly because of the software that is on them.

ohh photoshop premier and elements, and a whole 60day trial of office . WOW

get my point. basic things, you wont need them

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

I have a FE11H best laptop ever there is an updated version of it with a larger hdd & intergrated webcam check out

www.laptopsdirect.ie

Advertisement