Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northside Luas

Options
  • 26-05-2006 4:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

I think it is clear the Red line is not a North side LUAS but a "Liffey" Luas at most and then quickly scurries up back towards the South side like it really didnt want to be there in the first place.

Anybody knows if the NS will eventually get some serious Urban Lightrail And Lovin' Attention ? (ULALA)

( the Metro seems to me like a footbridge for the Stevens Green LUAS commuter that had to find a way to the Airport and ... hey we might as well drop a few stations on the Northside also or it will just be too obvious )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭s10

the dundrum line used an old existing track, the red cow was a very big road, anyway i dont see the room really, the o'connell to airport road takes alot of traffic i cant see them doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭MarkoP11

The Metro North alignment effectively goes underneath where the airport Luas was meant to go, its only got 4 times the capacity of a Luas setup

THere will be a line from O'Connell Street to Liffey Junction

Funding exists for studies to bring the Liffey Junction line to Finglas (and thus meet Metro West) and for a line starting in Kilbarrack which the goes west to place unknown (thence the need for a study)

What is quite interesting is the bulk of the demand on Metro North (75%) will not be airport related

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I don't think i'll ever have anything but a bus service. (in coolock) The airport metro isn't much use if you're on the northside cos i think i'd have to go nearly to the airport to get it in the first place, i think the northside one is for southsiders to go to the airport.

Bah i wish i had a dart/metro/luas over here i could use. (I'm just bitter!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭dr zoidberg

i think the northside one is for southsiders to go to the airport.
    MarkoP11 wrote:
    What is quite interesting is the bulk of the demand on Metro North (75%) will not be airport related
    Its primary purpose is as a commuter service for Swords and the northside, admittedly a fair few northside areas won't be within reach of rail when T21 is completed. Metro north will be better than Luas by the way, it has far more capacity and greater frequency (plus is grade-separated).

The Metro will serve Santry & Whitehall as well so it's not too far from Coolock, not walking distance for a lot of it but certainly within range.

The Luas isn't that wonderful either, while it looks nice it has very limited capacities especially compared to heavy rail such as the DART, and is quite slow as well as it runs on road with traffic lights to hold it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,309 ✭✭✭✭Victor

"DART is a conspiracy to get Southsiders to Belfast while opressing the residents of Barrystown" - shocker!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

The Metro will serve Santry & Whitehall as well so it's not too far from Coolock, not walking distance for a lot of it but certainly within rang

I don't think they have picked the route yet,it may end up going no were near Santry & Whitehall.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Let's be realistic, the northside will have the best rail connections in the city if T21 comes to pass. Not living within walking distance of a rail route does not mean you cannot take advantage of it. Feeder buses allow many more people to get the mass transit than those within the 15 min walk of a station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭dr zoidberg

Dub13 wrote:
    I don't think they have picked the route yet,it may end up going no were near Santry & Whitehall.
    Actually that's a good point, the route options are online here and it seems the central route is mostly preferred by the RPA (though they have suggested a hybrid of the east/central route will be chosen, but that makes you wonder why it wasn't included as an option), and that serves DCU & Ballymun. Santry would be served by the east route which was the original proposed by the DTO (although it was to be a Luas line back then).
    Most of Coolock is probably closer to the DART line anyway on closer inspection.

Still, murphaph makes a good point about feeder buses which would be very useful and make rail accessible to areas outside of the accepted maximum walking distance. In fact they should be using them much more now (apart from a few areas they are hardly used, the only example I can think of is the Greystones-Bray DART station service).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,260 ✭✭✭markpb

murphaph wrote:
    Let's be realistic, the northside will have the best rail connections in the city if T21 comes to pass. Not living within walking distance of a rail route does not mean you cannot take advantage of it. Feeder buses allow many more people to get the mass transit than those within the 15 min walk of a station.

That's only true if DB and the RPA get their acts together and run proper feeder buses. DB have proven useless at providing feeder services to IR stations, what hope is there that they'll do any better for a "competing" company?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,319 ✭✭✭dowlingm

They won't provide such service until they, LUAS, metro and DART are answerable to a Dublin Transit Authority with authority to determine routes and transfer fares.

No bus should be going into the City Centre anywhere parallel to a LUAS/metro/DART unless the service is saturated and then only at peak - orbital feed is the key but so is proper allocation of revenue between connecting services.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,909 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement