Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Powdercoat Pricing

Options
  • 26-05-2006 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭

Don't laugh, I figured this is the place to find out. The Tweaking&Modding board is too full of shopping lists and people trying to find the Control Panel.

I'm looking for ways to colour the steel chassis and some other bits of my PC's case with either paint (eg. spray cans of automotive - been there, done that, got good results) or powdercoat. Need something that's tough, sleek and possibly a way to keep dust from sticking (ionising the case Vs. grounding and safety - dangerous). Looking at black as the primary colour. I'm just not sure what kinds of black are available. I like making informed decisions.

How is powdercoat work generally priced? By the size of the piece, man hours, complexity? I'll have it stripped down and cleaned according to any provided guidelines and requirements.
    What can be done in terms of colour layering, pearlescent, UV effects etc.?

Thanks lads.

[background]
    UV-reactive components (yellow, orange and red), Blacklight and Red<?> CCFLs and some hidden ambient leds (all on selectable circuits along with the cooling system) will be the light-source inside the case. I've yet to play around with trials for the lighting concepts, emphasising certain components/areas, looking sleek and integrated rather than garish and tacky.

Large laser-etched polycarbonate window (custom) on one sidepanel (maybe both), with a sort of black-one-way mirror job done to it using a polarised (black) contact sheet and a silvered contact sheet on the inside of the window(s).

My overall design philosophy centres around a large, sombre, understated black box with some aluminium/silver highlighting, little bit of red/blue leds and and lcd - running near-silent when idle.
    Hit button/start playing some games and it comes to life, jumping out of a cake like a big busty stripper and it basicly scares children.

She's called Kelly.

[/background]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

ill repost ur post on another site see if anyone has a ida of the priceing .

i know a few mag's that done what your about to and the cost was fairly high but they did look savage after

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I'm considering trying a DIY method on a bit of test metal (old case wink.gif). The interior won't be too visible, and I'm going to be testing spraycan method on the chassis of another case to see the results I could expect. Heat resistance, electrical conductivity and static/ionisation (dust and shock) are factors to consider either way. No point spending proper money on something if the result leaves you with a case you can touch or rub your hair against.
    I *may* need to sand and powdercoat the exterior aswell - dependent on a few details.
    This is a bit far-out, but does anyone have any idea of the cost of anodisation? It probably wouldn't be that tough, and may scratch easily, but if it looks spot-on....heheh

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

This crowd do some sterling work

http://www.aerocoat.net/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Well done, you figured out how to reply to a post form 8 months ago....

Advertisement