Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skin Cancer

Options
  • 26-05-2006 1:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I went to the doctor recently as I noticed some changes in the shape and colour of my moles. She immediately referred me to have the moles surgically removed which has made me fairly scared as I am only 18. My 'surgery' will be in about 4 weeks; am I safe to say that if the doctor was really concerned then she would have organised it quicker or does anyone know? It made sound like a trivial question but I expected the doctor to tell me to use more sun tan lotion and apart from that I had no worries. Like I said, I'm young and as a result am worried even though I know the chances are so slim.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Scared wrote:
    am I safe to say that if the doctor was really concerned then she would have organised it quicker or does anyone know?

yes
    It's normal procedure to remove moles which have changed in size or shape. The thinking behind it is, it's better to be safe than sorry. Try not to worry about it, you will be grand.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Try not to panic, as B said these procedures are so minor that they carry them out rather than run the risk. Go and talk to your doc again, she'll help allay your fears.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭randomname2005

I had a mole removed when I was 15 or thereabouts) just as a precaution, and I know other people who have hade them removed, all quite young, with no problems. Its more a precaution than anything else.
    R

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Was talking to a friend about this last week. She had quite a large mole removed from her leg when she noticed it had changed in shape a bit (she also said it was a very quick procedure and she was back at work in the afternoon, no visible scar either as it's such a tiny op) She said the doctor said better to remove it to be on the safe side so it seems to be pretty standard and nothing to panic about. You did the smart thing by going to the doc anyway - just remember to lash on the sunblock and I'm sure you'll be fine :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

yeah, don't worry. it could be nothing or it could be something, but either way it's better to be safe than sorry. if it's something, then you've got it early, so you'll be grand. it's better to just remove it now than to wait, as it could turn out to be cancerous and then it might be a bit too late, it might have spreaded, and you'll end up down the chemo route.

like has been said,
    better to be safe than sorry! I'm sure you won't miss it too much :D

Good luck to ye, you'll be grand

• Advertisement
Advertisement