Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyway to live and work in America?

Options
  • 25-05-2006 11:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭

Is there anyway an Irish citizen can move to America to live and work? I'm confused by the whole Visa/Green Card thing so could someone just expain to me the possible ways you can go about to do this and the procedures.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Read the Green Card sticky at the top of the forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭AJ!

So you apply for the Greencard...then whats next?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Are we assuming you got it, or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Depends how you applied, did you go for the Diversity Visa Program? If so then you wait until they make the drawing. You will receive instructions if you one of the selected from the US Embassy.

No I haven't applied yet I was just unsure of what the procedure was after you get the Green Card. Is there a certain time during the year to apply for it?

• Advertisement

You obviously havent read the sticky :)

The entry registration period for DV-2007 is now over and all submission processing has stopped.
    The State Department will notify winning entrants for the DV-2007 lottery by mail during the spring/summer 2006. The department said it plans to issue 50,000 permanent residency visas.

You will have to wait until late summer or early autumn until details of the next lottery come available. Keep checking the US Embassy, Dublin website for more details when the times comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭BRM

A friend of mine got a visa for 4 yrs back in 2000, after a summer J1 visa they applied to the embassy in NYC.

Over 4 grand in lawyers fees for applications and a lot of messing but managed to get it in the end.

It was in the area of IT/computers.

BRM wrote:
    A friend of mine got a visa for 4 yrs back in 2000, after a summer J1 visa they applied to the embassy in NYC.

Over 4 grand in lawyers fees for applications and a lot of messing but managed to get it in the end.

It was in the area of IT/computers.

It is indeed very expensive process even if you dont hire the lawyer to do the applications for you. You must have a lot of patience :(

Advertisement