Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shaving Rash

Options
  • 25-05-2006 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi I know this isn't a medical forum but after shaving about a month ago i developed a noticable rash then dry skin came along. Its all flakky and when i sweat it is very sore. It is all above my lips and near my eyebrows. Its quite noticeable too. Ive triesd skin creams and sudocream andyone got any ideas? Im 16 btw if that a issue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Shaving rash on your upper lip? Oh my....

I get it on my neck and I just use a moisturiser, as soon after I've shaved & in the morning. Does the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭another world

It sounds more like eczema since it's flaky and near the eyebrows (i.e. presumably not where you shave). Get it myself, usually use a Vitamin E moisturiser cause it's caused by a lack of it. Seems to help...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭DOLEMAN

Was this the first time you've shaved?

Your post is slightly vague - is the rash actually in the place you shaved or somewhere else?

I know the first time I shaved my face was like "what the ****!"

It takes YEARS for your face to get used to shaving. Took my neck about 10 years to toughen up!

Clinique M moisturiser is great. Completely rip off though (€50 or something.)

Don't use aftershave!!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

yeah its above the upper lip.... i dont know i havnt used any of that nivea for men moisture stuff would that help? Ivebben shaving about 2 years or so and this is the first time it happened. Ill defo be changing to a more sensitive cream or something..

oh searched google for ''eczema'' yeah there is a tiny bit at my eyebrows too...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

a few tips. wash your face with hot water to soften the hair and use something like total shaving solution. always use a cold razor as it cuts the hair better and it tends to be easier on the skin. as said above dont use after shave as it really irritates the skin. be very gentle when shaving as a newbie. remember you will probably be shaving for the rest of your life so take your time. you are dragging a very very sharp blade across the most sensitive part of your skin so slowly does it :D if you.ve got sisters hide your razor from them as they might be shaving their legs with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Mickah

If you have a sister, hide your razor. My sister told me she was using my razor on her legs for years.

Swift kick to the gee sorted her.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭jayo2004

Swift kick to the gee sorted her
    :D:D:D:D:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

DOLEMAN wrote:
    Clinique M moisturiser is great. Completely rip off though (€50 or something.)

Don't use aftershave!!

Clinique is excellent, $26 in the states... can't believe I only got 1 of the little feckers, but if you apply conservatively (as you're supposed to) it'll last 12 months easy - money very well spent IMO

Also Wilkinson sword quattro with Nivea shaving foam. I had a thread on this a few months back, I tried all the products recommended and found the above to be the best.

When the search is back up and running I'll update it and post a link

thanks guys really helpful! I wana get rid of these dry cond. first though....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

jayo2004, unhelpful and off-topic posting will get you banned from this forum.
    Do take time to read the charter which contains the rules and abide by them.
    Have a nice day.
    Thaedydal

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Mickah banned from pi for one week for advocating the use of force and assult to resolve an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Try a few moisturisers, I have the Clinique M moisturiser one and find it terrible, really greasy

The Nivea ones although smell great I don't find to be that affective at the moisturising part

I prefer the new L'Oreal ones for men, they are great at moisturising and don't leave the skin greasy, they also smell quite nice.

Your skin is prob different than mine so try a few if you can.

My routine is, warm/hot water on face. Use a good shaving foam or total shaving solution stuff. SHAVE and then wash face with clinique face scrub (cold water) and finally moisturise with the L'Oreal stuff. I have very sensitive skin and it does the trick.

If you can, stay away from Mach3 and wilkinson sword, they are designed to give the closest shave possible but in doing so they do take quite a bit of skin with them. Do you really need a shave that close. They are also capable of causing ingrown hairs (they cut the hair below the surface of the skin) which are very sore indeed. All shaving can cause ingrown hairs but these razors increase that risk

May be worth yor while buying a beard trimmer (not and electric razor) and using it on its closest setting instead, thats what myself and another guy who lives with me have started doing. Saves a fortune on razors, foam, moisturiser etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 supergirl2

My boyfriend shaves after he showers because he believes if he shaved before it, it caused his skin to go spotty. Make sure your blade is new and use that shaving oil.

I think I mentioned this before the I find the botanics range from boots to be very useful when it comes to shaving. However, I don't think their shaving creams are too good, I still stick to sensitive-skin shaving foam (I have extremely sensitive skin). But you can get a very useful under-foam shaving oil, which does protect your skin fairly well. And it's not all that expensive either.

hey guys me again, i fooked my knee during the week and went to the doctor, i also asked him about the above subject. He gave me a steroid based cream called Fuciden H. Its working great :D thanks alot for your info and help

Advertisement