Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

White noise machine/CD/sounds

Options
  • 25-05-2006 11:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

Hey,
    been having trouble both sleeping and studying recently.
    Too much noise from outside, building work, people, cars, birds etc
    Have tried earplugs but they only work sometimes.
    Been thinking of getting either a white noise machine, or for economical purposes, a white noise cd, or for cheapskate purposes, a white noise download from somewhere.
    Anyone have any experience with the above? Recommendations or advice?
    Feel free to move this if in the wrong place.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

:eek: isnt white noise the sound that makes u **** urself? how is that gonna help u sleep?

Tiesto wrote:
    :eek: isnt white noise the sound that makes u **** urself? how is that gonna help u sleep?

Thats brown noise.

Note
    Apparently thats not the actualy term for it, but your post wasn't very useful anyways...
    White Noise: A random noise signal that has the same sound energy level at all frequencies.

This might be of some use to you, OP

• Registered Users Posts: 7,489 ✭✭✭maidhc

I dont think anyone wants a diesel genset in their bedroom. :)

OP, are you sure the noise is affecting you are if something else is causing you to be slightly distracted/worried in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Puteq

Hey I am a pretty light sleeper myself so I have tried earplugs in the past - there are crappy foam ones that don't really help much, but then there are the pliant ones, don't know the term to describe them they are like play-doh, anyway i find that when i have them in I'd sleep through any noise (including my alarm unfortunately, and theres the down side) - if you have only tried the foam ones i suggest a trip into boots and pick up the good stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bamboozled

A white noise machine will not help with any impact noises like slamming doors, jack hammers etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Have you tried Earplugs ?
    My neighbour was doing some renovations recently and I was off work sick so got some wax earplugs from the chemists and slept during the day without noticing the building work next door !

The wax ones mould to the shape of your ear so they're actually very comfortable to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

Thats brown noise.

Note
    Apparently thats not the actualy term for it, but your post wasn't very useful anyways...

true its about as useful as ur mom.
    But get brown noise instead and S_hit urself to sleep.
    More fun

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Morf3h

classical music is awesome for study. Try listen to the Lord of the Rings soundrack or ask your mom or something. It's really good cause there's no words, nothing for you to listen to directly i suppose. Works wonders for me cause i'm so restless when i'm studying.

Good luck,

M.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

OP: if you like, I can synthesise a short audio file of white noise which you can play on PC or burn to a CD. Send me a PM with an email address I can send it to if you want it. It won't be a very long file cos of attachment limits but you can play it on repeat or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭im_invisible

eh, maybe... you could get a radio, tune it into an un-used frequency, turn it up, and good night and g'luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think get some classical music CDs, put them on replay and stick in the ear plugs.

PS how are you planning on waking up?

It would be very cool if mobile phone companies would create wireless headphones which would act as earplugs too. With a built in jack, of course, so that when your alarm goes off, you'll hear it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Tiesto wrote:
    true its about as useful as ur mom.
    But get brown noise instead and S_hit urself to sleep.
    More fun

Congratulations! Don't think I've seen many posts that useless.

I've never had any luck really with playing music or anything like that to help me sleep if it's noisey out, but the loud fan noise coming from my PC is usually useful. Maybe something loud and droning like a big desk fan just pointed at the wall could be of use to you?

Advertisement