Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watching dvds from hard drive

Options
  • 25-05-2006 11:11am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭

A friend of mine has a few young kids and he would like to put some of their dvds on the hd of his new laptop so that they could watch them from there. I have seen mention before of people doing this for long journeys etc but I am totally ignorant in this area so any advice greatfully received.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Look over in the computer forum - they get on average one thread a day asking this question.

Briefly, you need to rip the DVD onto the hard-drive. Full details over yonder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

Gotta say i don't see much point in doing it. It can take a long time to enocde each movie and the Laptop battery will only last 3-4 hours. why not get a DVD player for the Car,.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Erm, how many films last more than 3-4 hours these days?

Also, you can run a laptop from the cigarette lighter with the correct adapter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

Rip it to an iso using DVD decryptor(not legal)

Mount iso with Deamon tools as a virtual drive(legal)

play with vlc media player(because i like it)

bobs ur uncle ........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 JohnKavanagh

I recommend going on to google and doing a search for "DVD Shrink", it will rip your movie DVD disk to hard drive in ISO format. Download Deamon (do a search on google for that too) and mount the ISO image and your laptop DVD software will start up and play the DVD. Easy.

DVD Shrink will also compress the movie also if you want so you can fit more on your laptop's harddrive. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭red_fox

It's not illegal to do this if you own the dvds and aren't sharing the disc image with anyone else. Anyway, use DVD Decryptor (no longer freely available) or the free DVDFab Decryptor which you can get here http://www.dvdidle.com/free.htm and just decrypt the files to the hard drive.

Use VLC to play them by opening the directory instead of the file. It'll take up 7-8GB of storage sapce for a typical DVD though so you won't fit too many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

Didn't mean the movie would last 3-4 hours, just that after a while you'll be carry/worrying about a laptop that can't be used again till you charge it up. driving from donegal to dublin, the battery probably won't last.

Why not play them straight from DVD on the laptop?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Sorry I should clarify my post a little - I have read about people watching dvds from the hard drive on long journeys such as plane flights - he just wants to have the dvds permanently on the hd to amuse the kids while on holidays etc and does not want to be be dragging the dvds with him. thanks for the suggestions so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭red_fox

Well if he doesn't have room to store all the decrypted dvds he wants on the HD then he should look at http://www.autogk.me.uk/ to compress the movies, plenty of FAQs linked from there, and even if that doesn't suit his needs then the guides on http://www.doom9.net/ won't lead him astray!

Advertisement