Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blueface failover to Analogue Line

Options
  • 24-05-2006 5:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I am about to implement a voip Asterisk server for a business (using Blueface) but I am concerned about the number of power failures and wireless broadband outages they have in this rural area.

Does anyone know if it is possible for Blueface to configure their service to detect if the clients asterisk server is unreachable and then automatically fail over to an analogue line which would be installed in the clients site? It would also need to revert back once the client server is available again. The current analogue lines still seem to work fine during power cuts. This way the client would not miss any important incoming calls.

I know UPS would help for power cuts but they do suffer quite a few broadband outages as well.

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

I doubt it very much. It's not the responsponsibility of the server (in this case, Blueface - who also use Asterisk) to connect to the client (whether it's an Asterisk installation or a SIP phone); it's up to the client to subscribe to the server.

Even if they were to fail-over to a landline, they'd end up paying to terminate the call which sort of blows their business model out of the water.

If it's for a business and there are doubts about the reliability of the service then you should stick with the old reliable landlines. Unless, of course, the savings make these outages accaptable. However, if it was me, I'd want my customers to be able to contact me all the time, not just when I had Internet connectivity.

Regards,

Liam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭aaronc

We can actually detect if your internet connection is down to within 70 seconds of it occurring and forward your calls to a different mobile or landline number once it's down. It doesn't blow our busniness model becuase we charge for the forwarded leg of the call.

The reason we can detect if it is down is because on the vast majority of the connections to our servers we send out a SIP request every 60 seconds to make sure the account is still accessible and also to keep NAT connections open.

The PBX GUI option on our web site has an Unavailable section that lets you set up the forward option for your internet connection being down.

Aaron

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

I stand corrected. My compliments to Blueface.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Oceanic

That's great news - thanks for the info and help :)

Advertisement