Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone here a member of a sports team?

Options
  • 24-05-2006 4:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

& no, I don't mean a tonsil hockey team, or anything like that!!!

Many moons ago I used to play camogie, & had done for years & had my regular mid field spot on the county team, but as this required a lot of training, I was forced (by the ma) to give it up for secondary school exams, & that was the end of camogie & me.

Boyfriends from then until now weren't particularly sporty, so when I was sitting at home in the evenings feeling bored, with absolutely nothing to do, so were they, but the idea of sport as a pasttime never crossed my mind, until now.

You see, my current bf is a bit sports mad & has training / games of some sort on practically every night of the week. This annoyed me, but surprisingly (even to me) it wasn't because of our lack of time together, it was because he had a life, & I didn't!!! I had work & sleep, repeat....
    That was my life & it was really getting me down!

Until a few months ago:- I went to watch my bf play a match (the match was against my club at my clubs pitch). There I met all my old team members coming from training & that got me thinking....

I was at the very next training session & I absolutely LOVE it, 2 evenings a week, running around in the muck after a ball waving a stick in the air!!!!
    It's the best craic ever, great for meeting the girls, getting out of the house, having something to do, somewhere to go, & to be a part of something. (& it's great exercise that you don't even realise you're getting because you're having too much of a laugh)

I now generally only see the bf on a Sat & Sun, but I couldn't be happier!

I think it's sad that people (mostly girls it has to be said) move away / lose interest in sport during their teenage years & never get back into it. It has SO many benefits for both mind & body & a great way of getting to know people.

That ended up being a lot longer than I intended, but who here is a member of a team, what sport do you play, & what does it mean for you?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

i used to play camogie, like yourself, in school.

just took up canoeing...love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Used to play hurling but the fella who trained us moved away after a year and we were left with no team. Like most Irish lads played football in school, soccer and gaelic kind, but never made it that far :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Yea important to have a sport/activity/hobby.

My sport is sailing and I compete with a crew every Thurs and Sat in races. Sometimes for longer periods as well. That and couple of other hobbies keep me busy.

On the other hand, my ex didn't have any hobbies of her own. So was looking to me to entertain her/keep her amused. Which is all well and good but me being her only source of entertainment so to speak outside of work put a lot of pressure on me to keep her from boredom. Would have been much easier if she had her own sport/hobby and the social circle that invaribly is part of that.

So yep, def think it's important in everyone's life to have a sport or hobby to cal l their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

No. I'm lazy. I used to play soccer and badminton though. Moreso badminton.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Mine's Karate and Mixed Martial Arts!

Tis great craic... havent been able to train with my feckin exams :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Squash and mountain walking, with a little rock climbing and mountaineering thrown in. And the gym thrice a week.
    Used to do Tae Kwon Do for years but I'm carrying more injuries than a large sized hospital now so I gave it up :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

GAA for my sport. Like yourself, I gave up football for 6th year, it was tough to get back after only a year away but so worth it.

I think a lot of young people drop out of sports now because of the drinking culture, can't get sloshed on Friday/Saturday and then get up at 9-11am for a match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

Gaeilic football. It is good to have a few days a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

I've played rugby for years and years.
    I play soccer in UCD's superleague too.
    I play the odd game of tennis and golf (I realise these are not team sports)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

No - had bad experiences of team sports at school and also, I'm a loner at heart!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Played alot of basketball, played for my Uni in the varsities a year ago in coleraine. Was just a piss up really though. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

I used to play for United, I'm with Celtic now. United were good, but I didn't like the prawn sandwich brigade.
    :mad:

Oh, and Mick McCarthy can **** right off!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

Playing for Shamrock Rovers Supporters Club *Glenmalure Rovers*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

Play football in the leinster senior league.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

I know so many girls in work who just go home after work , watch telly and go to bed..that woul ddepress the hell outta me!! I have a horse and am in a riding club. I ride the horse 2 evenings a week after work and one evening a week I teach lessons. On the weekends I spend at least a few hours at the stables , riding & teaching its what keeps me sane!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

On the weekends I spend at least a few hours at the stables , riding & teaching its what keeps me sane!

I'd go riding with you anytime Siogfinsceal! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Soccer up until I was 13/14, and now I concentrate solely on Athletics.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Crania

I don't know what I do without my fix of sport in the evenings. I play gaa and and I row. We usually have one or two nights gaa training a week and a match and then we usually just have rowing practive on Sunday mornings. Its right craic, gets me out of the house and out into the fresh air. I've met so many friends in gaa and rowing. If anyone doens't do a sport and yuou would like to start but are just nervous about the reaction you would get, dont be. people dont care if you're crap or whatever, the most important thing is that you're outside having fun and getting fit and not in watching bloody Eastenders or something equally crap.

OP: good on you, its great that you got back inot the camogie as its a great sport and a great pastime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭raheny red

I play for the super BRFC :o:p

www.beechlawnrovers.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭gerire

Just back into hurling after 2 years away, like above was tough to get fit again but am back loving it. Had a game last night, one on sunday and another next Thurs. Cant wait

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭KJohnson7780

Can someone point me in the right direction, i would like to get involved in sports again Football, Basketball, Netball etc I'm 25 years old & working in Ballina Mayo at the moment. I'm pretty nervous but need to get out more, i just don't know where to begin

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Played football from age 6 till 16 at a club in Holland.
    Did some futsal for a few years but that was invitation only tournaments, not organised by the Dutch FA.
    Picked it up again age 22 and quit playing all together when i moved to Ireland.
    Probably would have played a few more years if i hadnt moved countries.

Considered joining a team here for a while but changing in the cold on the sidelines of some pitch in the middle of nowhere didnt actually appeal to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

A darts team. And don't any of you fcukers say it's not a sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

An eight year bump eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

Here's a list of GAA clubs in North Mayo:
    http://www.mayogaa.com/contentPage/54798/north

Just contact them and tell them you're interested in joining. I don't know of any club that won't bite your arm off for new members (no matter what your standard).

It doesn't matter whether it's GAA/ Soccer/ Netball etc, you'll make great friends. Just go for it! We moved to a new area this year and had to join a new Club. It's a bit daunting for the first week or two when you don't know anyone but people involved in team sports always go out of their way to make sure you're involved and made feel welcome.
    So the message is: "Get up off your arse, make contact with a club today and go to training this week". You won't regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

longshanks wrote: »
    An eight year bump eh?

Sure he was only a kid when the thread started!

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Hi KJohnson7780

Please try here for more local knowledge. Mayo forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement